Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Else Find This to be Offensive?

30,000 people live in Waikiki as residents. Many in small apartments. They walk their children to school in the mornings. They take buses, walk or drive to work. Many people in other less touristy parts of the island have over an hour commute in heavy traffic in both directions. Rents are almost as expensive in outlying areas as rents in Waikiki. Cutting one’s commute can be an important reason to live in a tourist zone. So, when a tourist stops in a busy traffic lane and blocks all the traffic so the tourist can run in and buy some expensive crap in a Waikiki store and you honk at the tourist for blocking the traffic and they shout back, Where’s your aloha? I find that very offensive. Aloha is not an excuse for selfishness.

Aloha is a sacred word that is exploited by the tourist industry. Queen Liliuokalani, who wrote, Aloha ‘Oe, was offended that this special word was being exploited and that was long ago. Polynesian bus guides, Tongans, Samoans, Hawaiians, trying to scrape together a living, exhort their tour groups to shout aloha throughout the tours back and forth to the phony Polynesian Cultural Center, where pretend happy natives climb coconut trees and carve coconut shells or rub sticks together to make fire to show Polynesian culture. I find that offensive but I understand that people need to make a living.

So if a few cannibals eat a few rude tourists I’m not that bothered. Of course everyone will feel better if a nice bowl of fresh poi is shared with all the nice tourists.

Aloha
    Last edited by Kimosabe; 10-31-2019 at 07:49 PM.

I don't find the pattern offensive (but don't find it attractive either). As said above, this is typical Polynesian-style art. My degree is in anthropology with a minor in art history (with tribal art as my main interest :P ).

UAS Symptoms:
    Beansprout #346 walnut/cedar - alto
    Mya Moe #2150 walnut resonator - tenor
    G-String CST1 custom koa - tenor
    G-String CB semi-custom koa - tenor
    Deering Goodtime banjolele - tenor
    Risa Les Paul steel-string electric - tenor
    Risa Uke Solid - tenor
    Asonu whale-shaped Tahitian - concert
    Outdoor Ukulele - soprano
    Kala KA-SA-B - baritone
    Kala UBass
    Ohana O'Nino
    Fluke

Quote Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
    So if a few cannibals eat a few tourists I’m not that bothered.
    Eh... Kapu aloha, brah. Kapu aloha.

Nah, that depiction isn't offensive. Maybe tacky. What would be offensive is a depiction of a missionary on a ukulele.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert

If one were staunchly anti-Taiwan (seller location according to the listing) & pro-China, then perhaps, possibly "offensive".
    There’s actually a political symbol in there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Sky_with_a_White_Sun.
    The star on the thing that resembles a Cup-a-Noodle Ramen (or drum)on the lower half.
    Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 8.58.09 PM.jpg

Re: cannibalism... interestingly enough, head hunting was a “thing” among some aboriginal Taiwanese.

Except maybe for those who are offended by very specific political symbolism/political parties in Taiwan, it doesn’t seem any more offensive than some of the Tiki King designs... but what constitutes "offensive" is kinda subjective.
    keeping an eye out for a very special pre-owned concert....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    "Soup and Sandwiches - Bring Your Friends."
    Too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I Don't find it offensive, just tacky. I don't like engraving of any kind on ukes. Luna ukes is quite famous for this.
    I mean, how in the world would you clean it?
    Tikis are quite common at luau parties, and some folks even put them in their gardens.
    I don't have any, but I find them quite interesting.
    As we are learning to perform Hawaiian songs, I've learned some things about Hawaiian customs and culture.
    It don't hurt a uker to learn these things!
    My Luna resonator has a Tiki motif.

Default Point taken. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bordessa View Post
    Eh... Kapu aloha, brah. Kapu aloha.
    You’re right. I modified my original stement.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bordessa View Post
    I think if we were to make a list of Hawaiian/Polynesian things that have been offensively appropriated by Westerners we'd need a new forum (or two or three) worth of storage. Standard procedure is to exploit Hawaiʻi for profit. Honestly, this is pretty unremarkable on the spectrum of colonization.

Want to talk offensive? Hawaiʻi Tourism Authority continuing to selling a false Hawaiʻi to tourists is offensive (and neglecting to inform them about dengue fever, etc... when it might impact business). The state's treatment of Hawaiians is offensive (DHHL, TMT, Waimanalo, etc...).

Yes, it would be great to shift the tiki/uke paradigm, but let's keep it in perspective. Just my $.02.

EDIT: cannibal jokes = not very PC. Decolonize your mind!
    Dengue fever is in a good part of tropical Asia Pacific. If there are mosquitos and warm tropics, there is dengue. Can't eliminate it any more than we can eliminate West Nile on the mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by DPO View Post
    It's far too easy these days to find offence in anything and if you look hard enough, everything. I am not refering to the OP in particular, but, some people just love being "offended", it's what gets them up in the morning. Peace.
    ... ...

Thread Information