Anybody Else Find This to be Offensive?

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what's the tip off that this character is a cannibal?

I know next to nothing about Hawaiian/Polynesian art so can't weigh in on whether it's true to the style or a caricature.

Just out of curiosity, what's the tip off that this character is a cannibal?

I know next to nothing about Hawaiian/Polynesian art so can't weigh in on whether it's true to the style or a caricature.

Yeah, you're probably right. There is nothing to indicate that it is a cannibal, it just reminds me of the cartoon representations of Sandwich Islands cannibals from when I was a kid. However, I find the representation an awful portrayal.

Not offensive at all. That's typical Tiki art, which is used on all sorts of things. Even Magic Fluke has a Tiki God Flea. Now if it showed a cannibal chewing on someone's arm, that would be different. I wouldn't even call that offensive, though, just in bad taste.

Yeah, you're probably right. There is nothing to indicate that it is a cannibal, it just reminds me of the cartoon representations of Sandwich Islands cannibals from when I was a kid. However, I find the representation an awful portrayal.

"Sandwich Island cannibals." Now that is funny. I can imagine the menu in a cannibal's sandwich shop. :D

I Don't find it offensive, just tacky. I don't like engraving of any kind on ukes. Luna ukes is quite famous for this.
I mean, how in the world would you clean it?
Tikis are quite common at luau parties, and some folks even put them in their gardens.
I don't have any, but I find them quite interesting.
As we are learning to perform Hawaiian songs, I've learned some things about Hawaiian customs and culture.
It don't hurt a uker to learn these things!

Two cannibals were eating a clown when one said " Does this taste funny to You ? "
I don't see a cannibal in that image . Cannibal ? ? Stereotypical ? Huh ?

Last edited:
I don't see a cannibal. Is it the caricature that you find offfensive? I don't find it offensive. It is just a caricature of a Polynesian native playing a drum. Anyway, you see that kind of Polynesian art all over the South Pacific.

I think if we were to make a list of Hawaiian/Polynesian things that have been offensively appropriated by Westerners we'd need a new forum (or two or three) worth of storage. Standard procedure is to exploit Hawaiʻi for profit. Honestly, this is pretty unremarkable on the spectrum of colonization.

Want to talk offensive? Hawaiʻi Tourism Authority continuing to selling a false Hawaiʻi to tourists is offensive (and neglecting to inform them about dengue fever, etc... when it might impact business). The state's treatment of Hawaiians is offensive (DHHL, TMT, Waimanalo, etc...).

Yes, it would be great to shift the tiki/uke paradigm, but let's keep it in perspective. Just my $.02.

EDIT: cannibal jokes = not very PC. Decolonize your mind! :shaka:

Last edited:
"If it showed a cannibal chewing on someone's arm, that would be different. I wouldn't even call that offensive, though, just in bad taste"

How do you know it tastes bad? Have you tried it?

John Colter

It's far too easy these days to find offence in anything and if you look hard enough, everything. I am not refering to the OP in particular, but, some people just love being "offended", it's what gets them up in the morning. Peace.

It's far too easy these days to find offence in anything and if you look hard enough, everything. I am not refering to the OP in particular, but, some people just love being "offended", it's what gets them up in the morning. Peace.

Amen Brother .

You're overreacting. Offensive? To me, not in the least. Unappealing? Very much so.

What's the ultimate definition of trust?

2 cannibals having oral sex :D (sorry if that was offensive, it's a Rodney joke from way back)

BTW, the last thing I saw in that uke image was a cannibal, to me it was just traditional Polynesian art. Not my thing, but not offensive at all.

Last edited:
I think if we were to make a list of Hawaiian/Polynesian things that have been offensively appropriated by Westerners we'd need a new forum (or two or three) worth of storage. Standard procedure is to exploit Hawaiʻi for profit. Honestly, this is pretty unremarkable on the spectrum of colonization.

Want to talk offensive? Hawaiʻi Tourism Authority continuing to selling a false Hawaiʻi to tourists is offensive (and neglecting to inform them about dengue fever, etc... when it might impact business). The state's treatment of Hawaiians is offensive (DHHL, TMT, Waimanalo, etc...).

Yes, it would be great to shift the tiki/uke paradigm, but let's keep it in perspective. Just my $.02.

EDIT: cannibal jokes = not very PC. Decolonize your mind! :shaka:

Thanks for speaking up, Brad. I agree completely...

Scooter

Did you hear about the cannibal who passed his best friend in the street?

John Colter

Top Bottom