Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anybody Else Find This to be Offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bordessa View Post
    Eh... Kapu aloha, brah. Kapu aloha.
    EDIT: cannibal jokes = not very PC. Decolonize your mind!
    Ring any bells
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dponeil@xtra.co.nz
    Southern Cross Banjo Ukes & Ukuleles
    Proudly Hand Crafted in
    New Zealand.

You need to be bulletproof to thrive in this non-PC and highly ethnocentric world. Otherwise you'd be offended every two seconds or so. Nothing much fazes me anymore. However, it sure is an ugly and cheap looking instrument. The designer probably should consider another career.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
    30,000 people live in Waikiki as residents. Many in small apartments. They walk their children to school in the mornings. They take buses, walk or drive to work. Many people in other less touristy parts of the island have over an hour commute in heavy traffic in both directions. Rents are almost as expensive in outlying areas as rents in Waikiki. Cutting one’s commute can be an important reason to live in a tourist zone. So, when a tourist stops in a busy traffic lane and blocks all the traffic so the tourist can run in and buy some expensive crap in a Waikiki store and you honk at the tourist for blocking the traffic and they shout back, Where’s your aloha? I find that very offensive. Aloha is not an excuse for selfishness.

Aloha is a sacred word that is exploited by the tourist industry. Queen Liliuokalani, who wrote, Aloha ‘Oe, was offended that this special word was being exploited and that was long ago. Polynesian bus guides, Tongans, Samoans, Hawaiians, trying to scrape together a living, exhort their tour groups to shout aloha throughout the tours back and forth to the phony Polynesian Cultural Center, where pretend happy natives climb coconut trees and carve coconut shells or rub sticks together to make fire to show Polynesian culture. I find that offensive but I understand that people need to make a living.

So if a few cannibals eat a few rude tourists I’m not that bothered. Of course everyone will feel better if a nice bowl of fresh poi is shared with all the nice tourists.

Aloha

Thanks for the thoughtful post, and for taking it seriously. While it is true that sometimes people go too far in what is labeled PC, that doesn't mean it is time for a backlash of uncaring behavior. It only seems ridiculous to people who haven't experienced it. But yeah, sometimes good hearted people may say something that is offensive to someone just not knowing what they are doing.

So this is an interesting thread and I shall read on. As a tall white dude, I admit that my opinion as to whether it is offensive is pretty irrelevant, that question isn't really directed to me as I see it.
    Know yourself. Play uke.
    Several 4S = For Sale
    Sop: mango Kamaka white label (vintage mangos, rare), Famous FS-7 (sounds great),
    20's-30's Regal (4S), 50's Harmony (4S)
    Conc: Myrtle Mya Moe (4S), Longneck Bruko (4S),
    KCM Koaloha, Fred Shields Backpacker (good for travel), Enya Nova U cutaway "carbon fiber" electric (18" scale length, & fun!)
    Ten: Romero Creations Tiny Tenor T-TK (4S), Opio KCO-02 (4S),
    Koaloha KTM-00, Pono ATSH-PC (current faves), Risa Solid, Pono MT-PC,
    Club loaners: Many

Quote Originally Posted by Anthroterra View Post
    I don't find the pattern offensive (but don't find it attractive either). As said above, this is typical Polynesian-style art. My degree is in anthropology with a minor in art history (with tribal art as my main interest :P ).
    If I saw two instruments for sale used, identical in every way except one was plain, and the other had that image engraved, I would pay a lot less for the engraved one. Just personal style preference.
    Know yourself. Play uke.
    Several 4S = For Sale
    Sop: mango Kamaka white label (vintage mangos, rare), Famous FS-7 (sounds great),
    20's-30's Regal (4S), 50's Harmony (4S)
    Conc: Myrtle Mya Moe (4S), Longneck Bruko (4S),
    KCM Koaloha, Fred Shields Backpacker (good for travel), Enya Nova U cutaway "carbon fiber" electric (18" scale length, & fun!)
    Ten: Romero Creations Tiny Tenor T-TK (4S), Opio KCO-02 (4S),
    Koaloha KTM-00, Pono ATSH-PC (current faves), Risa Solid, Pono MT-PC,
    Club loaners: Many

Looks cool to me!
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone called Kalua
    Fender DG5 Dreadnought guitar named Tilly
    Tanglewood Discovery guitar
    Valencia hybrid classical guitar

My Music Blog

Quote Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
    Looks cool to me!
    Thank you for seeing this uke in the manner it was intended. We really need to lighten up. After all it's just a design on a ukulele. I'm sure the designers didn't intend to offend, just sell a few ukes.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one but that's just my conservative taste in ukulele designs. Any other tastes should be respected and tolerated.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert

Quote Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
    30,000 people live in Waikiki as residents. Many in small apartments. They walk their children to school in the mornings. They take buses, walk or drive to work. Many people in other less touristy parts of the island have over an hour commute in heavy traffic in both directions. Rents are almost as expensive in outlying areas as rents in Waikiki. Cutting one’s commute can be an important reason to live in a tourist zone. So, when a tourist stops in a busy traffic lane and blocks all the traffic so the tourist can run in and buy some expensive crap in a Waikiki store and you honk at the tourist for blocking the traffic and they shout back, Where’s your aloha? I find that very offensive. Aloha is not an excuse for selfishness.

Aloha is a sacred word that is exploited by the tourist industry. Queen Liliuokalani, who wrote, Aloha ‘Oe, was offended that this special word was being exploited and that was long ago. Polynesian bus guides, Tongans, Samoans, Hawaiians, trying to scrape together a living, exhort their tour groups to shout aloha throughout the tours back and forth to the phony Polynesian Cultural Center, where pretend happy natives climb coconut trees and carve coconut shells or rub sticks together to make fire to show Polynesian culture. I find that offensive but I understand that people need to make a living.

So if a few cannibals eat a few rude tourists I’m not that bothered. Of course everyone will feel better if a nice bowl of fresh poi is shared with all the nice tourists.

Aloha
    Oh you are so right.

We went to the Polynesian Cultural Centre many years ago and found it offensive, demeaning and tacky with not a native from each of the island zones in sight, all were clean cut all American kids from Utah. The evening show was a recreation of one of the Elvis Presley movies so again tacky.

Let them eat Poi, yeah I like your style.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    Thank you for seeing this uke in the manner it was intended. We really need to lighten up. After all it's just a design on a ukulele. I'm sure the designers didn't intend to offend, just sell a few ukes.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one but that's just my conservative taste in ukulele designs. Any other tastes should be respected and tolerated.
    I would definitely want to buy it if I saw it in a shop!
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone called Kalua
    Fender DG5 Dreadnought guitar named Tilly
    Tanglewood Discovery guitar
    Valencia hybrid classical guitar

My Music Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    I found this Alulu Tenor Uke on Ebay today.

I suppose it's supposed to be cute. Like the Tiki ukes. But I think the stereotypical cannibal caricature is incredibly offensive. Is this really an historic or accurate Hawaiian totem?

Am I overreacting?

Alulu solid mahogany tenor ukulele, Hawaiian totem pattern with hard case UMT63

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alulu-solid...IAAOSwge1djXDq

Attachment 122475 Attachment 122476
    I don’t really see a cannibal there... but it’s an Alulu ukulele. If it had been a Donner ukulele, then yeah, I instantly think “cannibal”
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Thread Information