Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning to read and play Music

I have always learned how to read standard notation with classical guitar, flute, recorders and keyboard or accordion. Also chords in them, blowing instruments excluded.
    I always find it hard to read the subtleties in melody reading regarding pauses and difficult stuff regarding rhythm. Youtube helps a a lot in that.

What is also a difficult thing regarding our re-entrant middle C being the lowest note, is playing lower notes unless transposed an octave higher, or all the tune. Not always, but it is a bother I say.

Another bother is the re-entrant tuning regarding playing the high G when playing the standard notation and I must say i much prefer the tabs with chord arrangements, when the notes are same time given in standard notation.

Despite these inconveniences I really say that all should learn to play with standard music also with our ukes. From low G upwards at least.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 11-01-2019 at 01:30 AM.

As luck would have it, I've been reading music my whole life. My advice would be not to dive in too deeply. It is easy to get overwhelmed with all the minutiae such as the rests and the caesurae and dynamics such as Pianississimo or Sforzando. To be honest, 95% of the time all I want from standard notation is the notes. With the notes and hearing the piece of music of question, I can play it. Once you hear the piece, you know internally the timing, the rests, the dynamics...so all you need to do is play the notes and make them match what you've heard.

The one thing that gave me trouble, as a reader of music, was the fact that stringed instruments have more than one way to play a particular note. So I would say beware of that

When I was in fourth grade we all learned to play the tonette in music class. I thought for a long time that everyone in the world learned to play the tonette in fourth grade music and I was surprised to learn later in life that not everyone in the world even had music in fourth grade. In fourth grade we learned the basics of reading music. Every Good Boy Does Fine and FACE. I thought that anyone who couldn't read music must have flunked out of fourth grade music. So when I took up playing the ukulele reading music came back to me like it was last year, not fifty years ago, and figuring out what frets and strings corresponded to the notes was no problem. Just like playing a tonette. Learning to hit those frets without looking at them was and is a different story. Anyway I played around with plucking out melodies, but that isn't what I wanted to do, I wanted to sing and accompany myself with the ukulele so chords were my thing. But after a few years I wanted to do chord melody and I found a bunch of resources with the tablature, the four lines representing the strings, and numbers representing the frets in the place of notes. So instead of reading the notes above, I read the tablature below and now I've been doing that for so long that I don't read music anymore. It isn't that I can't read music, it is that reading tablature is so much easier. A few weeks ago I got a whole stack of Christmas music that I have to pluck out the melodies for a Madrigal dinner that I'm going to participate in at Christmas time. I'm cast as a troubadour. And most of them have the tablature with them, but a few don't. I put the ones that don't in a separate pile and haven't even looked at them because I'm too lazy to read the music. I'm just afraid that the ones without tablature will end up not being in my Madrigal repertoire because of that.
    Last edited by Rllink; 11-01-2019 at 03:49 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Yeah, it's worth learning, I'm still trying, but I seem to have an 8bit brain, & could do with an upgrade to a 64bit.
    The problem with 64-bit code is all those long words ...---... (programmers' joke)

There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

I have posted before on this topic; I have played guitar for 47 years,then ukuklele for 11 years,and still can't read music. My brother in law has tried to teach me countless times,but it simply does not go in! I play 'by ear' and always have. I can transpose keys to play along with others, and I understand the relationship of each key to the next.I can read tablature,(slowly!) but the actual process of standard notation, just will not find a way into my brain.
    Somewhere along the line,the teaching just turns to white noise in my head. But I am happy in my untutored state,and play the music I love, to my hearts content. And surely, enjoying what you do, is why we all do it,yes?
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

Quite so, TopDog, those that are lucky enough to be able to play by ear don't have to worry, but folks like us who can't need some help, be that tab or notation.

Notation has the advantage of being transposable to other instruments, if you happen to play them, whilst tab doesn't.

P.S. ....& yes the long words could be a problem, kypfer.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

When there is a piece of music, written both in tab and standard. I'd use the tab to learn only, but the regular notation to play afterwards along. Tabs are just numbers and strings, so in that is their shortcoming too.

The nice thing about reading music is that if one has a song that they've never heard they can play the melody and figure out how it goes. I've gotten a sheet of music before and not recognized the title of the song. I pick out a piece of the melody and many times recognize the song, if not, I can figure it out. So it comes in handy in some cases. I can also search the songs in youtube if I really want to get a feel for something I'm not familiar with, so there are ways around reading music.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Well I'm making progress, I've got Middle C to High G down but still make some mistakes reading, it's the fingers that need education, Stupid fingers.

Back to practice.

Screenshot from 2019-11-03 01-57-05.jpg

you guys should check this out for some good practice. It is Bach and it can be played even on a re-entrant tuned uke. Of course that low B at the end is something we'll have to deal with.

Thread Information