Learning to read and play Music

I've got a score for Canon in D setting on my music stand which I am determined to learn as soon as I can read it. But I have to master Mary had a little lamb first!;)

I can wish you good luck. I am also on the learning process now. I will use the tool you provided, thanks.

Music is a basic necessity of life. it is away to go to soul. if you listen good music it will refresh you and improve your skills and creativity.

Music is a basic necessity of life. it is away to go to soul. if you listen good music it will refresh you and improve your skills and creativity.

I absolutely agree with you. I have been studying music for about 10 years and I can say that it is worth it. I now enjoy the music I create. I am currently studying at the university and writing a research paper about my idol - guitarist Tom Morello. I had some problems writing annotated bibliography, but I mentioned the custom annotated bibliography online writing service papersowl.com, which always helped me with essays, coursework, or abstracts. This service has helped me a lot with the selection of the list of references and the design of annotated bibliography.

Last edited:
You'll never be wasting any of your time just by continued practice. Have fun guys!

When I was in fourth grade we all learned to play the tonette in music class. I thought for a long time that everyone in the world learned to play the tonette in fourth grade music and I was surprised to learn later in life that not everyone in the world even had music in fourth grade. In fourth grade we learned the basics of reading music. Every Good Boy Does Fine and FACE. I thought that anyone who couldn't read music must have flunked out of fourth grade music. So when I took up playing the ukulele reading music came back to me like it was last year, not fifty years ago, and figuring out what frets and strings corresponded to the notes was no problem. Just like playing a tonette. Learning to hit those frets without looking at them was and is a different story. Anyway I played around with plucking out melodies, but that isn't what I wanted to do, I wanted to sing and accompany myself with the ukulele so chords were my thing. But after a few years I wanted to do chord melody and I found a bunch of resources with the tablature, the four lines representing the strings, and numbers representing the frets in the place of notes. So instead of reading the notes above, I read the tablature below and now I've been doing that for so long that I don't read music anymore. It isn't that I can't read music, it is that reading tablature is so much easier. A few weeks ago I got a whole stack of Christmas music that I have to pluck out the melodies for a Madrigal dinner that I'm going to participate in at Christmas time. I'm cast as a troubadour. And most of them have the tablature with them, but a few don't. I put the ones that don't in a separate pile and haven't even looked at them because I'm too lazy to read the music. I'm just afraid that the ones without tablature will end up not being in my Madrigal repertoire because of that.

Sounds as though you went to a good grade school. I had to look up what a "Tonette" was. Our music class was to sing simple songs one day a month. The teacher would play it, and we would sing it. Choir was an elective after that. But they never taught how to read music. I sang in choir through Junior High & High School by singing what the person next to me sang.

My mother had me take piano lessons, but I wouldn't practice. She told me that I would regret not learning how to read and play music. She was right! Amazing how smart my parents were as I look back at their advice whilst I was growing up. OK, getting older. My wife will tell you I never really grew up... ;)

I too learnt the tonette as a child, although for us it was called a flutophone. And I can read music. I'd like to remind people in this thread that there are various levels of reading. For example I can read French but I am not picking up all the minutiae and subtleties and nuances. And the same thing applies to reading music. There is knowing everything that is printed on the staff and there is knowing enough to play a melody. It can be intimidating and discouraging to try to cope with all those Italian abbreviations, articulation symbols, time signatures, rests, note lengths, etc. However, most people's musical goals can be taught with thirty seconds of instruction. As has been mentioned already, just learn to apply FACE and Every Good Boy Does Fine and--bam--you now know the notes. What else do you need? Listen to a recording of what you want to play. That will give you guidance on how to play the notes you can now read without delving into all the details. Of course, learn all the details over time, but get started on the easy stuff and work your way up.

I learned to read music about 73 years ago. I can read three different clefs plus tab on numerous different instruments, but I still ain’t makin’ any money at it.

Go ahead and learn to read it. It’s much more useful than tab, and, learnin’ anything new, is good for ya. However, I really enjoy playin’ by ear the most. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Top Bottom