Curious about the George Formby E chord

I was correct about everything in my 2 posts, and nothing was personal. Some people just act very social media induced style to pure matter of fact comments :)

Jarmo, I know how difficult it can be to deal with ordinary people, when you are correct about everything. I have the same problem.

That is just a factual statement.

John Colter.

Yes sometimes it can be a bit hard with "normal" beings and their egos.

My analysis between 1402 and 1X02 what ever way it is played, is that they sound the same. I don't notice any thud mentioned. Of course C string being up, and muted, makes G# or E sound less than in the 1402 variant, depending also of the strumming technique and direction. But that is the way with every chord involving both open and fretted notes.

Just without a strap that I usually play and preferring open chords, 1402 can be a difficult one, more difficult than 4442.

I sort of doubt if ubulele much uses that middle finger unreliable mute to play E.

I don't, because I don't have to use any mute, having no trouble with either 1402 or 4442, as I mentioned above. But if I were going for 1x02, I'd use the middle finger mute rather than the less sonorous (and more unreliable) leaning finger mute. For one thing, the hand can be more relaxed in the non-partial-barring form, since the fingers come down in a more natural formation; with less pressure exerted, the muting is more reliable. Both forms need practice to make reliable, but to brand one form as stupid simply because of one's own hand problems or personal preference is stupidity—and I'm just speaking the incontestable truth, so I'm sure you won't take offense.

It is highly ironic for you to talk about egos, since yours has been bruised since you started contributing to this board. It's astounding how, for someone so right, you're so frequently corrected by others here with much more experience, knowledge and skill, who play with fewer limitations, and who are so well regarded. And for someone who means no offense, it's curious how often you cause it with your gratuitous digs and backhanded comments. You nurse a long-standing grudge against me and several others (in fact, anyone who dares to call you on your BS), despite that we try to disagree with you in a respectful manner, which you seldom return, thus provoking less than respectful replies to you in turn. These patterns are a matter of record; you're fooling no one.

The tone of your words again as many times in past too sound to me somewhat personal to say the least lol. You should give people to have their different opinions.

Jarmo, the problem is that your opinions seem to be incontestable facts, and anybody else's are, well, just opinions. Of course, I could be wrong.:D

John Colter.

Yes that can sound so. Just people should know that I once played quite well classical guitar. I could play almost all of the Tarrega's music, except Recuerdos. My nails could never handle that piece, so I quit because of desperation trying to make it work. Anyone who is familiar with Francisco's music knows that it is never just open chords, quite contrary.

What I detest is someone talking so many times about other person's limitations or belittling their experience etc. We should all here be for encouraging others, no matter what is their current playing style, or rather preferred one :)
We should not go personal never ever.

Yes that can sound so. Just people should know that I once played quite well classical guitar. I could play almost all of the Tarrega's music, except Recuerdos. My nails could never handle that piece, so I quit because of desperation trying to make it work. Anyone who is familiar with Francisco's music knows that it is never just open chords, quite contrary.

What I detest is someone talking so many times about other person's limitations or belittling their experience etc. We should all here be for encouraging others, no matter what is their current playing style, or rather preferred one :)
We should not go personal never ever.

Now if only you would heed your own advice...

We do need to allow for the fact that English is not Jarmo's first language. A grain of salt is needed when reading comments by members who do not speak English as a first language. I have spoken English since around 1959 when I was born, and written it since around 1964 when I started school, but my posts still have some issues. A member like Jarmo does very well compared to some of the rest of us.

Hi Bill1, your posts are always appreciated, even when sometimes I can't totally understand. They never go personal, but to quote you as sometimes your posts too are deleted like another person here that does go personal.

In general my english is very good.

------------------

If I say fingering stupidly, it never means or intended that someone is stupid. i stand by on my words behind what is less than optimal way of fingering 1x02, also in terms of safe fingering. Though we seldom need that E chord in our normal keys, except when we are playing along with guitar blues friends.

Hey Guys, linguistically I think the problem could be that the word "stupid" in English may be considered an insult as it suggests a lack of intelligence

Hey Guys, linguistically I think the problem could be that the word "stupid" in English may be considered an insult as it suggests a lack of intelligence

What ever, we as humans don't do stupid things?

It is about the context my friend. How and when the exact same word is used can suggest different things. English is a funny language and it has many limitations. We often do not know what a word means without looking at the context in which the word is used. I am not arguing with you. I am merely pointing out that while certain words like “stupid, dumb, moron, ignorant” do have literal meanings they are also often considered insults. There is a difference between “I think you are doing it wrong” and “You are doing it stupidly.” There is a difference between saying “I stupidly left the stove on” and saying, “You stupidly left the stove on.”

It is about the context my friend. How and when the exact same word is used can suggest different things. English is a funny language and it has many limitations. We often do not know what a word means without looking at the context in which the word is used. I am not arguing with you. I am merely pointing out that while certain words like “stupid, dumb, moron, ignorant” do have literal meanings they are also often considered insults. There is a difference between “I think you are doing it wrong” and “You are doing it stupidly.” There is a difference between saying “I stupidly left the stove on” and saying, “You stupidly left the stove on.”

I guess it also depends much of a person reading.

In my language doing something stupidly would never mean lack of intelligence, and I did not mean in anyways that the person who got offended is stupid lol.

Just my first attack from that person came when I was inquiring why Beatles tunes are so popular in uke world. I wondered because they are many voice vocal harmonies usually and we just usually sing with one voice and our ukulele. Excluding some songs of course. But the response to a newcomer in this forum was very personal and arrogant to say the least.

Last edited:
Again, you're going gratuitously personal. Heed your own admonition. I would agree that your English is good—certainly good enough to know when you're being personal and when your word choice is likely to cause offense. Since my deleting my posts has nothing to do with this discussion, it's clear you mentioned it only to insinuate something and make a personal dig.

Both the leaning and tip forms of muting are unreliable (particularly in comparison to the non-muted forms, which on uke we can always use, making all single-string muting "stupid" according to your apparent criterion of reliability). Even if one has practiced these techniques to make them more reliable, it's easy with both forms to inadvertently press down and sound an unwanted note. In the 1x02 case, if you use the leaning form, you'd play an E6; if you use the tip form, you'd play an E7. Statistically, the E7 would be more likely to fit, particularly in the blues you mentioned, making the leaning E6 form the "stupider" choice, viewed objectively. To label the stupider E6 choice "optimal" while denigrating the other form as "stupid" (and by implication demeaning my experience and intelligence—though, by the bye, I also played classical guitar competently) is itself a stupid thing to do. Wasn't it you who said we should allow others their opinions? Or does that only apply when you call what other experienced people do or recommend "stupidity", claiming you know the "optimal" way? It is certainly stupidity to dig in your heels once corrected, while continuing your personal attacks, even passive-aggressively. If you want remarks directed at you to stop, you need to stop them yourself, and also stop being a frequent source of such problems generally.

You've already explained how you want us to view your use of the word "stupidity"—though I can't say we're buying it, given how you normally express yourself—and we've already told you it's poor word choice, which you should graciously accept as true. In any case, it's time to drop the matter—and your petty grudges.

E6 (correctly C#m7) won't happen so easy, 1102 meaning when playing 1x02. What happens easier is muting also the E string. Just little practice and it is 100% proof same as any other fingering .... again so personal :(

Thumb muting is a very valuable technique with acoustic guitar playing. You should not call it stupid, nor any other method of muting.

Top Bottom