Thread: Suggestions for uke brand with wider nut/string width

Default Suggestions for uke brand with wider nut/string width

I'm sort of in between beginner & intermediate player. I have a 12+ year old Bushman Jenny concert that I love but I cannot progress due to the 1" string width at the nut. Basic chords are fine but more complex ('jazz') chords are impossible to fret without my fat fingers muting a string or two.

I've discovered the width of the nut itself is not the sole criteria. Anyone have any suggestions for a tenor size mid-range (<$350) model/brand with a wider string spacing at the nut?

You might try Islander.

Kala Elite meet your needs in regards to the string spacing, but not the price. There's a concert in the marketplace that's your price--but a concert. They are fantastic instruments, and if you can carry on with concert size, I think you'd be very happy with it--it's a great deal. If I didn't already have one I'd have jumped on that.

Thanks. This is really good info. Keep it coming because a lot of sites do not include the nut width, much less spacing detail about their ukes. One would think at least the mid-range uke brands would provide this info

Measuring the Bushman concert more precisely the nut width is 35mm (end to end) and string spacing (center to center) is 26.5mm.

I wish I had access to a luthier to fashion a new nut to a wider spacing. My 'vintage' Bushman Jenny is a beautifully made, great sounding uke. Alas, I live in the middle of nowhere thus the need to research/shop online.

To add to comments so far I believe that Martin and Kiwaya Ukes are wider string spaced at the nut and a little wider at the nut too. Fluke products are wider too as I recall. Iíve made a nut from a bone blank and spaced the strings wider on it too - and it works just fine - you could do the same or find a luthier willing to make and send one to you. Obviously he / she will need some dimensions to work to and youíll need to fit the new nut yourself plus set up the string height, but with a bit of care those things arenít particularly hard to do.

If you do find a luthier, I had the strings brought out to 28.5mm* on a 34mm nut, so you might be able to go to 29.5mm*, which is pretty nice spacing. I've seen over 29mm on a 35mm nut before. Really makes more difference than you'd think.

*I measure to the outside of the strings as I don't feel I can be accurate enough with lining up calipers center to centre to a tenth of a millimeter. The type of strings you use, probably wouldn't affect the measurement much, but going from high g to low g, would bump up the measurement a bit using my method.
    Glenn

The fretboard at the nut measures 35mm. I 'lose' a mm or so on the nut as the outer corners of the nut are rounded. Maybe without as much rounding I could get at least 29mm spacing.

Measuring string spacing at the nut (via rule) outside to outside looks to be 27.5, maybe 28mm. Hard to believe a millimeter would make that much difference but not having played other ukes to compare I'll take your word.

Try the Kumu Ukuleles. Those are gorgeous high quality laminate koa ukes that are still affordable. I've seen tenor Kumu's for around $270-350, but they all have the wider 1.5" nut spacings. I can't wait to get one myself!
    the Cordoba high-end 30 series also have the wider nuts, as well as Kamoa ukuleles.

"Having multiple ukes is like being a blind artist gaining back our sight and re-discovering a wonderful world and palette full of color.
    Uke had me at Aloha." - FuzzeeSock

It hasn't been updated for a few years but there's a list of ukulele nut width here: https://ukenut.com/comparison-of-ukulele-nut-widths/

Before seeing this list I was going to recommend some of the Cordoba uke's and by the looks of the list they do seem to have a wider nut width.
    Soprano: Ohana SK-38 (Mahogany)
    Concert: Barron River (Curly Maple)
    Tenor: Pono PKT-2E (Koa) / Romero Creations Replica (Spruce/Acacia)

Yes, the Cordoba tenors have wider nuts. The nut on mine is 38mm (1.5") and the string spacing at the nut is also wide, at 30mm (1.18").
    John

Thread Information