Hello from Hong Kong

lolaryan

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m Laura and have lived in Hong Kong for the last 17 years; I am originally from Ireland.
I have been playing Ukulele since last Easter. I love it as it is the first instrument that I have had any success with. I have an entry level Kala but have been eyeing up a Fluke although as they are not sold here i’ve never tried one.
I would love to join a group but can’t find an English-speaking one. I am looking forward to being part of a Ukulele community but will probably lurk for a while yet!

Good to 'meet you' you will like it here!

Hi, welcome to the community! Your call for an english-speaking group in Hong Kong intrigues me: Does the general population not usually speak English? I have never been to HK, but it sounds culturally complicated? I saw a HK group on facebook, where English and Chinese was both used...
In this forum, there was an entry some time ago: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/group.php?discussionid=3553
The last post was 5 years ago, but it looks like there seems to be some kind of (english-speaking) community there. Maybe some locals read your post too and will also respond. Let us know if you have been successful.

Have fun with your journey!

Last edited:
Hi Dada,

Thank you for your suggestion; I will certainly have a look at the post. There are 2 official languages in HK; Cantonese (spoken by the majority) and English. I am guilty in only being able to understand very few Cantonese phrases. I will keep looking for a group to join and hopefully something will turn up.

Thank you for your reply, Lapyang. I hope that you are enjoying your visit and that you are reunited with your uke soon. I did consider bringing mine with me when I was visiting the UK over the summer but decided it wasn't worth the hassle in the end.

Hi Laura!! My parents are from Hong Kong and my uncle loves to go back every year...he's on a mission to find the BEST bowl of congee haha.

Anyway, what size (and more importantly, what COLOUR!!) of fluke are you thinking of getting? I have a plain (I think it's called natural finish or something) second hand one that should be coming to me this month and I'm very excited!

Oh also, there was a review of a uke on gotaukulele that Baz described as sounding super similar to a fluke, the brand was "Flight" and I think it was called the travel soprano? The back of it is made of the same kind of plastic and I remember him saying it was a lot cheaper than a flea/fluke - plus it's on amazon as well so that might be something you could try out if you are unsure about the fluke?

I found the review :) https://www.gotaukulele.com/2018/04/flight-tus50-travel-soprano-review.html

Last edited:
Welcome Laura. I recently bought a used tenor Fluke to be my beater uke, but I found the shape of the back of the neck to be fatiguing. If there's any chance you could test one, do so. On eBay, Alulu in Hong Kong shows a variety of ukes, do a search and see if you can try one.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Hi Yuni,
I hope your uncle has succeeded on his congee quest.

If I was getting a fluke I would go for the green one. I hope you like yours when you get it; you must let me know what it is like. I am actually picking up a second hand flea tomorrow. I am quite excited about it. It was a lot cheaper than buying it new and I don't have to pay P&P.

Thanks again for your welcome.

Laura

Thanks Michael,

I have actually bought a second-hand flea off a HK second hand site. It was reasonably cheap and it's body shape is less quirky; so I pick it up tomorrow and I'll see how it goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm passing my kala onto my son (that's my excuse for buying another one anyway).

Top Bottom