Thread: High G or low G for fingerpicking?

Default High G or low G for fingerpicking?

As a guitar finger picker, it seems more logical to go with low G, but curious as to popular opinion....
    Thanks

Kala TEM

I will start by saying that I vastly prefer low G for any and every thing. However, it all depends on what you're fingerpicking. Some arrangements, like Daniel Ward's arpeggio studies, are written with high G in mind. And then there's anything arranged in campanella style. I have a few instructional books that teach traditional patterns and they swing both ways.

When I am just playing from the heart, the high G string becomes dead to me. With high G I play scales and modes and such using only the first three strings. With low G I use all four strings. For example if I'm going to improv with E Phrygian, I do with the E on the 4th fret with high G and with the E on the 9th in low G. So I just play what I play and adapt to whichever tuning I have hanging around my neck.

If I had to pick only one tuning it would be low G because with low G I can play the first three strings as if it were a high G as well as play with all four strings.

I love both high g & low G each has it's own special qualities
    Grandma Penny

I've bought several collections of arrangements for high-G fingerstyle so that defines that reason ... I sometimes wonder why I bother with low-G arrangements on a ukulele when I can do the same on a capo'd guitar ... but somehow it's not quite the same

There's certainly a place for all three instruments (and several others) on my wall

There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

If you need a weak and feeble excuse for buying another Uke fingerpicking is that excuse.

Two Ukes are mandatory, one high g one low G.

Tongue now out of cheek.

Let us know what you buy ;-)
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Both, if there's room in your budget and life for two ukes. If not, I'd go with reentrant/high for the sake of variety over the linear tuning of guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    Both, if there's room in your budget and life for two ukes. If not, I'd go with reentrant/high for the sake of variety over the linear tuning of guitar.
    I agree with you. Also agree what ripock told, I can't really play melodies in high G when improvising. But high G normal stringed uke is a variety from guitar.

Thread Information