Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High G or low G for fingerpicking?

The late Mike Lynch told me to look at the music and if an important note is open G string, play it on the E string for the same sound. Of course having a 2nd uke in a high G seems like a really good solution.

I found, and I am a thumb picker, That the extra range with the low g is very nice to have.

While people are probably very divided on whether they prefer high or low for strumming, and whether they prefer high or low G overall, I think that there will be _almost_ consensus that low G gives more possibilities for fingerpicking.
    A lot of nice fingerpicking can be done with high G, and there are lots of arrangements out there. But sometimes it is just easier when you have those extra notes. And the reentrant sound is more an asset for strumming than fingerpicking.

I mostly play reentrant, and overall prefer that, but when playing melody lines I often pick up that one low G uke I keep.
    Last edited by UkingViking; 01-13-2020 at 08:26 PM.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

I am also a thumb picker for the bass notes so i prefer a low G. Otherwise i find i am playing a 3 string instrument.

I currently am strung reentrant so when i want a low G I pluck both the G and the C together; it fools my ear into thinking i am hearing the low G. My ear may be more gullible than other people's :-) :-) :-)

Low-G for picking, high g for strumming, especially on a tenor. Low G works well for me on the tenor as well, for picking that is.

For finger-picking, I used to think Low G was best, but lately I've been doing a lot of finger-style on the re-enrant uke. Try this one, Pete Seeger's Living In The Country on a high G. This arrangement just doesn't work on a low G uke.

living in the.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    For finger-picking, I used to think Low G was best, but lately I've been doing a lot of finger-style on the re-enrant uke. Try this one, Pete Seeger's Living In The Country on a high G. This arrangement just doesn't work on a low G uke.

living in the.jpg
    Can't it be re-worked for low-G?

I'm sure that it could, but I figured it out on a re-entrant uke.

Pete played it on a 12-string guitar. I had 1/3 as many strings, so I modified it a bit. I wrote out this for one of my students and she did a wonderful job playing it at a recital.

Quote Originally Posted by ukeanixi View Post
    Aaron Keim has a low G tab for Living in the Country here:
    http://quietamericanmusic.com/ukuleletabsandvideos

Quote Originally Posted by ukeanixi View Post
    Here's what I came up with this afternoon.
    Living in the country low G.jpg

Thread Information