Thread: Capo'ed Chords on Guitar to Ukulele?

Default Capo'ed Chords on Guitar to Ukulele?

If a song requires a guitarist to put a capo on their 3rd fret to play the chords for song, where would you put a capo on a ukulele to get the same changes? 3rd fret as well?

I don't have one to try out... although I plan on ordering one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by commandercup View Post
    If a song requires a guitarist to put a capo on their 3rd fret to play the chords for song, where would you put a capo on a ukulele to get the same changes? 3rd fret as well?
    A capo just changes the key of a song...it's not required to play the chords. A GCEA-tuned ukulele is the same as a guitar played with a capo on the 5th fret, meaning that no matter where you put the capo you're not going to match the sound of a guitar if the guitar is capoed below the 5th fret. Instead, just play the chords for the song without a capo and if you need to change the key in order to sing along then add a capo wherever necessary.
    Last edited by cpatch; 06-01-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    “Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” -Berthold Auerbach

Kanile`a Custom T Walnut Tenor "Luana"
    DeVine Maple Concert "Momi"
    Flea Custom Sinker Redwood Concert "Nahele"
    Kanile`a Custom Koa Concert "Joy" (just visiting)

cpatch is exactly correct.

What makes your issue all the more confusing is that chord sheets don't usually include the actual chords your playing, they only show the chords that are relative to the capo.

If a song is in A, for example, but is played with a capo on the 2nd fret, the chord sheets that you find online will have it written out in G, not in A.

Therefore, it's up to you, the instrumentalist, to find out what the actual chords to the song are, and play those chords - capo or no capo.

thanks! I guess I'll just play around and see if I can find chords that work for me.

What makes it tricky is that guitarists will give the chord names as they are in the open position. So, for example, if the chord chart says G then the chord will actually be Bb (three frets higher).

So if you want to play in the original key feed the chords into a transposer like this one.

Thread Information