Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Bonanza Homestead Line

Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza Pete View Post
    Mike, here is my start.Attachment 122784
    I love it! It's pretty much exactly as I pictured it. I like how you put the black dot where Big Falls is. I think it's subtle and elegant while at the same time a nice symbol of Big Falls/Minnesota pride showing where these wonderful ukes are born. Well done! You said that this was your start, are you still looking to tweak it?
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Hi Everyone! I have a Bonanza Oreo Tenor myself (Walnut with Aspen Stripe) and a Double Pickup. It's pretty awesome. Pete did a great job making it for me. Pete and Shelley were great to work with and very generous and awesome people. Thanks Bonanza!

One thing about sound samples, however i should point out, at least in my experience is that what I heard on Facebook, Youtube, etc. was not what I hear in person when i received mine. Even after swapping out the strings a few times and adjusting nuts and saddles, i couldn't reproduce the full nice tone of what i heard and it was driving me crazy. Until...i realized what was happening. I believe when Bonanza Ukes were recording their sound samples, the sound projected is going straight towards the microphone.
    So when i play it in person, the sound is not the same and felt a lot quiter. Then i figured out how to reproduce the nice full tone. Since i don't gig with my Oreo Uke, i just stand in front of a closet door or wall, and play close to it.
    and voila!! The sound bouncing back off the walls come back nice and full and sound like the samples, as if my ears are the mic. So it's been very enjoyable to play like this so i can hear a nice full effect.

Plugged in, is another story. Very nice sound and very clean with that Double Pickup.

I love Pete's design of the cutaway. It's the sexiest curve I've seen on a uke cutaway, and i much prefer this style then the florentines, or other traditional swoops. So cool.

anyway, that being said, I do love my Oreo and it's only about 10 months old, BUT...UAS is knocking again and I might want to sell my Oreo here on the marketplace, to fund and try something else.
    So if anyone is interested, PM me and we can work out what's reasonable.

Thanks Pete and Shelley, for an awesome instrument!
    Last edited by FuzzeeSock; 11-11-2019 at 12:39 PM.

"Having multiple ukes is like being a blind artist gaining back our sight and re-discovering a wonderful world and palette full of color.
    Uke had me at Aloha." - FuzzeeSock

Is a Homestead thinner than an Oreo? I can't tell from the pictures on the Bonanza site or on Facebook. The sides of the Oreo are three pieces and the Homestead appear to be two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed1 View Post
    Is a Homestead thinner than an Oreo? I can't tell from the pictures on the Bonanza site or on Facebook. The sides of the Oreo are three pieces and the Homestead appear to be two.
    I have been wondering that as well. Another difference I have noticed is the front and back are made of two pieces instead of the oreo’s one piece.

The Homestead is the same thickness as an Oreo. 1 1/2 inches.

Rorym, The tops and backs on tenor and baritone are mostly 2 boards. Once in a while we get boards wide enough to make it a single board.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza Pete View Post
    The Homestead is the same thickness as an Oreo. 1 1/2 inches.

Rorym, The tops and backs on tenor and baritone are mostly 2 boards. Once in a while we get boards wide enough to make it a single board.
    Thanks for the clarification. I had not noticed the differences based on size.

Thanks for the info Pete. Have you ever thought of putting a sound port into the Oreo/Homestead? FuzzeeSock has become a closet ukulele player (OK, he just stands in front of a closet door :-) so he can get the reflected sound. I was wondering if a more direct way might be a side sound port.

Thanks for the info Pete. Have you ever thought of putting a sound port into the Oreo/Homestead? FuzzeeSock has become a closet ukulele player (OK, he just stands in front of a closet door :-) so he can get the reflected sound. I was wondering if a more direct way might be a side sound port.
    I have done side ports in a couple by request. Because the instrument is only 1.5 inches thick the hole is only a 1" hole.

Haha yup, i only stand in front of a door or wall to play the Oreo. : ) But Pete, I suggested to Shelley once that maybe your future thinline designs can adopt what Kala, Leho or even the Hricane thinlines did, where each of those models have the arched backs. Those really work for projecting volume directly so no "closet door" uke playing required. Hahaha. I have both the Kala thinbody and the Hricane Tenor thinbody, and man those are really projectively loud, due to the arched back.

"Having multiple ukes is like being a blind artist gaining back our sight and re-discovering a wonderful world and palette full of color.
    Uke had me at Aloha." - FuzzeeSock

Hey Pete.
    What's the nut width and string spread ( g to A ) on the Baritone Homestead ? Couldn't find and "specs" on your website. ( And I never bother with FB )
    ::: Romero Creations Replica Tenor ::: Fender Montecito Tenor Koa ::: Ohana Soprano SK-75 ::: Kanile'a Islander MAPG-4-C ::: Romero STC Concert ::: Kala KA-SSTU-SMC-C ::: Ohana SK-50G ::: Enya Nova U Concert ::: Kala KA-ABP-CTG Bari :::

Thread Information