Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What size guitar?

Can't speak to what's accepted by the group, but a dreadnought is what pushed me into ukulele. I do like the 3/4 size if I get another guitar. Tried 1/2 size and smaller, but it seemed too compact for a 6 string to me. Comes down to personal preference, but I guess it depends how well you want to fit into their biases (is there really such a lack of acceptance outside the uke world?)
    Glenn

Check out the Martin Dreadnought Junior. It's a genuine Martin Dreadnought, but with a small body and 24-inch scale. I have one and love it! It's easy to play and has that authentic Martin sound.

I also have a Taylor GS-Mini Koa guitar, which is a similar size. The Taylor looks prettier, but the Martin sounds way better!
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

Rolli I agree with the others about starting with what you have in house. Sure it is bigger and more awkward to start with but when it’s the only guitar at hand you get use to it. Look at all the small kids playing a full size guitar on YouTube and you realize anything is possible.

Another option after you get your feet wet is renting, if you live near a music store that does that. Some stores have many different makes and sizes, a great way to test drive and see what you prefer.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    Can't speak to what's accepted by the group, but a dreadnought is what pushed me into ukulele. I do like the 3/4 size if I get another guitar. Tried 1/2 size and smaller, but it seemed too compact for a 6 string to me. Comes down to personal preference, but I guess it depends how well you want to fit into their biases (is there really such a lack of acceptance outside the uke world?)
    Sometimes things are hard enough without being the odd duck. As far a bias, you find that even in the ukulele world. I've played in a few groups and gone to a few festivals where it was explicitly spelled out, ukes only. So yes, I want to fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Rolli I agree with the others about starting with what you have in house. Sure it is bigger and more awkward to start with but when itís the only guitar at hand you get use to it. Look at all the small kids playing a full size guitar on YouTube and you realize anything is possible.

Another option after you get your feet wet is renting, if you live near a music store that does that. Some stores have many different makes and sizes, a great way to test drive and see what you prefer.
    You are right Dave. It is just a matter of getting used to it. I want to get going on learning to play the guitar and learning to play bluegrass, but for the next two or three weeks I'm doing all kinds of uke stuff so that is taking up much of my playing time. So I talk about it instead. I'm sure once I get into it I'll find my direction. And regardless, I'll play my wife's old guitar before I go out looking for something else. Thanks for talking to me about it though.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

A big help would be to take it in for a setup if possible and if it's worth it. Try to get the action low. Since you're just starting out, try going with either extra light or light strings. I use a set of John Pearce Med/lights on my Thomas and extra lights on the 1893 Bay State. 80/20's are a popular type string for BG. Ernie Ball Earthwoods are good. I like John Pearce.

Bluegrass is usually played in G or D so no big deal with fancy chords until you start playing in 2nd and 3rd positions up the neck. Double picking is used a lot when using a pick. Uke and BG guys can be a strange lot. May want to check out senior centers to see if they have any string instrument things going on. One of the uke groups I play with a our local SC has a motto, "if you can breathe, you're welcome to join us". Makes learning really enjoyable for the newbies. For me, if they are that judgmental on an instrument, they more than likely aren't have a lot of fun. Dang, just call it a 4 string nylon mandolin lol.

If six strings are difficult, there's always a tenor guitar. I use my contra baritone once in a while. It's a tenor guitar size with nylon strings and can shut down a dreadnaught when it needs to.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 11-06-2019 at 02:31 PM.

As Patrick said getting a good set up and putting on light gauge strings goes a long way to making a “BIG” guitar play easy.

My guitar story, very briefly. About 15 years ago I decided to learn how to play guitar, no prior musical experience. Rented a dreadnaught guitar took some lessons decided I would pursue it. I purchased a Larrivee L-01 about the same size as a dreadnaught, I knew no “better”. Messed around on and off for a few years and shelved it. About 4 years ago I took up ukulele. About one year ago I got the guitar itch and bought a Taylor GS mini, thinking smaller would be easier. Bought a couple small to mid size guitars along the way.

I finally took the big beast....Larrivee L-01 in for a proper set up. It plays as easily as my smaller ones. Except for the physical size, but I am an average sized man so no big deal. Moral of the story, I could have saved a bunch of money by sticking with the Larrivee and getting a set up.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thread Information