What size guitar?

Strange lookinÂ’ guitar, old and slow. HowÂ’s it sound with that small body? Good for whalinÂ’ on the couch . . . :eek:ld:

It has pretty good tone and is a quality built piece. I like it very much as a wide spaced 4-string.

Volume can go from very quiet while strumming with the pad of your thumb, to loud enough to wake up the house when picked aggressively.

I really like it. Small enough to play while sitting in the front seat of the truck. And volume isn't a major concern since the only one that's usually listening is me.
Stows away nicely and solidly in it's little case. It's a true go anywhere guitar, now of the tenor variety. I think it's a keeper and a key member of my little collection.

Now as far as 6-string guitars, I have had to try a few different guitars to see what feels right to me. And while I've mostly decided that I'd like to have just a small variety of DGBE tuned four strings: the Rover tenor, a wide nut baritone uke, and some kind of short scale solid body electric "baritenor ukuitar",, I have also come to the conclusion that I'd like to have one nice 3/4 size thin body classical/flamenco sized acoustic-electric six string guitar similar to the black one used by John Denver in the Wildlife Concert.
https://youtu.be/HjRvcDHOUJw
Closest I have seen is the Ortega Family Series Pro RCE1. And I think that Ibenez has something similar also. And maybe others.

I'm going to sell my three other acoustic guitars, and eventually get something similar to that when I happen across a good deal. Just something to have that I can work up to as my skill level increases.

Attachments

• 20191208_145554~2.jpg
    20191208_145554~2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 10
Guitar was never really meant to be played horizontally. Your hands don't fall naturally into a position to fret that way, and you usually find yourself hunched over the guitar. I know there are a lot of people who DO play that way, but I have a feeling that most of them are either self-instructed or learned that from watching some other self-instructed headless

I have played guitar before I discovered the uke, and when I was younger the dreadnaught was the standard size for steel strings so I got one and got used to playing it. Decades later I discovered other shapes and sizes, and now don't play the dreadnaughts at all any more as they tend to slip off my lap, I just keep them for sentimental reasons. The guitars that I actually play are two Ovations, a full sized long-scale Jumbo (bigger than dreadnaught), and an 000 sized 12-string. Of these, I find the Ovations most comfortable and versatile, and it is notable that several of the top bluegrass lead players have played and recorded albums with Ovations back in the day.

BTW, I have no idea what 3/4 sized guitar is, that sounds more like violin terminology.

I think that my new tenor guitar is way too large compared to what I’m usta. I simply cannot get really comfortable playing it seated. So, I’ve decided to play it standing and/or strolling around my music room. I usta play my flutes that way too, and I’m gonna start that again too. I can certainly use the exercise. I recently got a strap button on put on my guitar, and I’m ready to go.

I bought a foot stand for my left foot, and I planned to use it like a classical guitarist, but I crushed it twice! When I felt the need to change my position, I pushed down hard for leverage and smashed it into a new and very different shape. Then I hadda stop and bend it back the way it was supposed to be — bummer. Anybody else have this foot stand adventure? Now I use a plastic coffee “can” or a plastic box that’s lower for my Cello Banjo. They work, and I can’t crush ‘em. The foot stand was comfortable but not strong. Too bad, I liked it.

I’m wondering if any other UUers play standing and/or strolling? Also, anybody else have battles with a foot stand? :eek:ld:

I'd like to add strap buttons to my classical guitar and baritone uke. I'll probably add them to the guitar since I don't plan on ever replacing it. But the dimensions on the uke aren't quite where I want them to be.

As far as small body sized tenor guitar....I've been looking at parlor guitars to convert. Or possibly a Stratacoustic. I don't know if some might argue the terminology of calling it a tenor guitar because I might be inclined to use classical strings.

I think thomann the german company make under their own name a tenor guitar with nylon strings. Of at least i think they used to as i seems to have disappeared. Anyway, calling it a tenor guitar still valid, or you could call it a super baritone ukulele (or baritone lute).

I installed a pair of strap buttons on ever guitar and ukulele I own except for the plastic Flight uke, which has stick on anti-skid pads, and couldn't be happier.

Foot stools are a total PIA.

I installed a pair of strap buttons on ever guitar and ukulele I own except for the plastic Flight uke, which has stick on anti-skid pads, and couldn't be happier.

Foot stools are a total PIA.

I am right with on straps, including sopranos and plastic ukes. It just makes it easier for me to play, be it seated or standing

I think thomann the german company make under their own name a tenor guitar with nylon strings. Of at least i think they used to as i seems to have disappeared. Anyway, calling it a tenor guitar still valid, or you could call it a super baritone ukulele (or baritone lute).

That's what I'm thinking. Who cares what category it falls in.
I was most recently looking at a used half size classical, Yamaha CGS102A, to convert to a Super-Baritone Uke. Body a little big. And neck a little wide, but I could maybe sand it a bit.
Scale of 21" and what should be a lightly braced body should be spot on. Although not the choicest of woods. But for sixty bucks it might be something worth giving a chance in case I don't find a better choice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom