Lightest Ohana soprano??

Astein2006

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the lightest in weight Ohana soprano is? Specifically I’d like to compare the SK-28, SK-38 and SK-39. Also string choice being the same which might be the loudest?

My SK-38 is 315g and my SK-39 was 331g, probably because of the fretboard extending to the soundhole.

Never had an SK-28, but it's probably a few grams lighter than the SK-38 due to the even shorter fretboard, and possibly slimmer body shape, but depending on construction, maybe not lighter.

My SK-38 is 315g and my SK-39 was 331g, probably because of the fretboard extending to the soundhole.

Never had an SK-28, but it's probably a few grams lighter than the SK-38 due to the even shorter fretboard, and possibly slimmer body shape, but depending on construction, maybe not lighter.

Would you say one is louder than the other?

I think it's important to keep in mind that even ukes of the same model vary in weight, sound, etc.

I think it's important to keep in mind that even ukes of the same model vary in weight, sound, etc.

For sure. I’m just curious if there are fundamental differences in weight and volume when comparing these models or is it just more ornamentation than anything else.

Every piece of wood can vary in density and weight

Would you say one is louder than the other?

Unfortunately I didn't let myself buy the 38 until I sold the 39, so I didn't get to compare them side by side. Maybe the 38 is a touch louder, but I'm not sure. Less fretboard over the soundboard would theoretically be better ...

I have no comparison with other Ohana's but I'd say my SK-28 is the lightest ukulele I own and although not loud, it is sweet sounding.

Unfortunately I didn't let myself buy the 38 until I sold the 39, so I didn't get to compare them side by side. Maybe the 38 is a touch louder, but I'm not sure. Less fretboard over the soundboard would theoretically be better ...

What are your observations between the two models as far as differences outside of cosmetic?

I have no comparison with other Ohana's but I'd say my SK-28 is the lightest ukulele I own and although not loud, it is sweet sounding.

Does it feel different when strumming because of the shortened fretboard?

Does it feel different when strumming because of the shortened fretboard?

The lowered fretboard reduces string tension ever so slightly, and the action above the soundhole is equal to a regular ukulele.
IMHO it results in a very comfortably, playable ukulele.

What are your observations between the two models as far as differences outside of cosmetic?

Outside of cosmetic, the main difference was the extended fretboard on the 39. If I was more into strumming, I would have kept it, but I find the extra frets on a soprano get in the way of my finger picking.

Interesting that Sven-uke says his SK-28 isn't loud. My SK-38 is super loud for a soprano. Just as loud as my KoAloha Opio soprano. The SK-28 looks like it has a narrower body though, which could affect sound. I haven't seen an SK-28 IRL so just judging by photos, but my impression was that the Nunes style has quite narrow bouts.

Outside of cosmetic, the main difference was the extended fretboard on the 39. If I was more into strumming, I would have kept it, but I find the extra frets on a soprano get in the way of my finger picking.

Interesting that Sven-uke says his SK-28 isn't loud. My SK-38 is super loud for a soprano. Just as loud as my KoAloha Opio soprano. The SK-28 looks like it has a narrower body though, which could affect sound. I haven't seen an SK-28 IRL so just judging by photos, but my impression was that the Nunes style has quite narrow bouts.

Interesting indeed!
Come to think of it, I'm using Living Water strings on my SK-28 and Martin M600 on my Timms, which would explain the difference in loudness.

Top Bottom