Are ukulele players more dedicated?

Among the many advantages of the ukulele over the guitar is that it is light and small, and can be played very quietly late at night if necessary. I take one with me whenever I visit family or friends. I feel very smug when I see guitarists lugging their instruments around and sometimes struggling to fit them into trains and buses (we don't have a car).

Attachments

• bass.jpg
    bass.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 4
We live in a world of increasingly instant gratification. When I ask a friend if they play music, the normal response is something about Spotify or some other streaming music service. The worlds greatest artists at your fingertips! And, with no effort at all on your part. It is sad. I wouldn't trade today for yesterday, but there are aspects of the past that appeal to me. When I walk up the stairs to my music room I see my antique Violin-Uke" displayed on an open credenza. Now there you go! Salesmen would get on a train in Chicago or some such place, and ride throughout the midwest and western United States. They'd get off the train in little whistle stop towns along the route, and knock on farmhouse doors. Then they'd demonstrate how "easy" it is to play a hymn tune with the bow, while strumming the chords with the other hand and softly signing. They were bringing music into the homes of people all across the land. And, people bought the Violin-Ukes, and other similar folk instruments by the thousands. And, as idiotically simplistic as it was, it planted cultural seeds, and gave people incentive and confidence in their inherent musical abilities. Back then, even after the advent of the phonograph and radio, if you asked a person if they played music, they'd either say "Yes!" or else say "No," but that they wished they could. I doubt if any would have thought to mention the phonograph or radio.

In my opinion, it's the ukulele groups that keep people interested in the ukulele. I look forward to several jam sessions a week - lots of laughing. Sitting alone in the house and playing the uke by myself just isn't the same.
I prefer sitting alone with my ukulele and jamming out with recordings.

Not trying to take away the impact of community influence. the connection we make when jamming out with a gang can never be substituted for anything. Music collaboration supports growth all around.

Top Bottom