Pick a Winner

sburke

Reaction score
I am building 3 tenor ukuleles. These pictures are before finishing. Thought it might be interesting to post these and get feedback.
The first (1) is highly figured mahogany back and sides with curly port orford cedar top, second (2) is koa back and sides with straight fine grain port orford cedar top, third (3) is walnut back and sides with curly port orford cedar top.

The first neck is curly spanish cedar with volcano inlay over ebony on peghead (1-A), the second is mahogany with rosewood laminate (2-A) the third (3-A)is curly spanish cedar with curly redwood peghead.

What does everyone think? Which do you like best and why. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

See BurkeGuitar.com for other builds.

Attachments

• P1060037.jpg
    P1060037.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 145
  • P1060040.jpg
    P1060040.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 127
  • P1060043.jpg
    P1060043.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 138
  • P1060050.jpg
    P1060050.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 127
  • P1060052.jpg
    P1060052.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 115
My preference just based on looks is 1) highly figured mahogany with curly port orford cedar. Regarding headplates, it sure would be nice to have a highly figured mahogany headplate to go with the body. But, if I had to choose from the 3 shown, it would be the middle one, mahogany with rosewood.

Soundwise, I bet the straight grained POC may be best.

Thanks for the input. I agree with your choice - the inlaid headpiece will go with it along with a fretboard inlay that matches the peghead.

When tapping the bodies, this one also seems to have the best "ring"
Steve

I like the walnut body the most. The rosette is a touch wide for my tastes, I like the first better. I would like the third neck with an overlay, not much for the lamination being shown on the front face. This is nit picking mind you. They all look nice.

Beautiful work all 3...are these for sale? If so I would opt for the one in the middle for the straight grain and lack of figuring which is more to my taste. Which tuners will you be using?

They will be for sale when completed. I will post more as I go. I plan to use Waverly tuners on two of them and Gotoh Planetary on one.

I like the middle one too! The others are very eye catching but it's just my preference to have something more simple with one or two accents like the darker rosette :)

Of the three necks, I like the headstock shape of the volcano one (from the back it looks like a mermaid tail!), but I like the design of the one with the vertical lines, very clean and minimalist.

Oh and I've seen some ukes with removable/bolt on neck things - that would be cool to be able to switch them out like changing the case on your phone haha

Walnut Version Complete

2 Full Front 2.jpg4 Full Back.jpgSound Port.jpg6 Full Front Angle.jpgNeck Joint.jpg

Here is the Tenor Ukulele walnut back and sides, Port Orford Cedar Top, Satin Finish

Mahogany Version Finished

1Full Front.jpgBack with Shine.jpgFretboad and Peghead.jpgIMG_0470.jpgIMG_0480.jpg

Here is the Mahogany Back and Sides, Port Orford Cedar Top, Harvey Leach Inlays version completed.

Interesting how my opinion changes when they're assembled! The volcano headstock was my third choice, but it looks amazing with the lava down the fretboard and the drop on the bridge.

What is the volcano made of? Sawn recon-stone? Cast resin? somthing else?

They're all so lovely, I can't pick one, but I do fancy the neck on the walnut one the most.

Top Bottom