Insurance for instruments.. Advice/Recommendations?

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
In addition to my home insurance I want to buy an insurance for my instruments. Any recommendations?

I accessed this link and it is really useful. Thanks for sharing. Musician's insurance is an important aspect and I personally have insurance all my instruments because this is the simplest method. A friend of mine recently played at a ceremony and accidentally dropped the instrument and because he didn't have insurance, he couldn't solve anything. He had to spend a lot of money to fix everything and after that incident, he turned to the same insurance company. Now he has no such worries.

Last edited:
I have had a policy with Heritage Insurance going on 10 years during which time I have had 2 claims: one for damage during shipping and one for a stolen guitar. On both occasions I was paid fairly and promptly. The premiums are very reasonable and the people there are very responsive and a pleasure to with.

https://musicins.com/

Mitch

I have had a policy with Heritage Insurance going on 10 years during which time I have had 2 claims: one for damage during shipping and one for a stolen guitar. On both occasions I was paid fairly and promptly. The premiums are very reasonable and the people there are very responsive and a pleasure to with.

https://musicins.com/

Mitch
Thank you!

I recently added a few expensive instruments to my renter's insurance policy with California AAA. They required only a copy of the invoice if I purchased the instrument within the year, but they require a recent appraisal of the instrument if it was purchased more than a year ago. I've never had to make a claim (*knock on wood*), so I can't speak to how responsive they are to claims.

Out of curiosity, what doesn't home and contents insurance cover?

My home and contents insurance covers up to a certain amount for my possessions, which includes any musical instruments.... ??

I just reactivated my Music Pro Insurance coverage since gigs are becoming a thing again. I've never had to make a claim, but I trust that they're super legit since it's co-owned by ASCAP and has a bunch of big-name partners.

Out of curiosity, what doesn't home and contents insurance cover?

My home and contents insurance covers up to a certain amount for my possessions, which includes any musical instruments.... ??

The exemptions should be listed in your insurance policy. My homeowner's policy does include musical instruments up to $10k but for theft, fire or water damage. If you want coverage for all other scenarios, such as shipping damage or damage while gigging, then best to buy insurance from the afore mentioned specialty companies like Anderson, Clarion, or Heritage Insurance.

As someone who unfortunately has experience in this arena (our home and business burned to the ground in the 2018 Camp Fire), I can tell you that it is *much* easier to make a claim when you have a separate rider on your homeowners insurance policy than when it's bundled into the homeowners policy. The rider you set at the actual cost of the instrument is paid without question at that set amount.

At policy writing you must supply receipt to set that value and it goes through Underwriting for confirmation--they fussed a bit the first time at State Farm when I put in my first Moore Bettah; 'guess they didn't think "a mere ukulele" could cost that much...

Because we had multiple policies in effect at the time of the fire, I can assure you that the musical instruments portion of the standard homeowners is questioned in much more detail, and in most cases, the maximum coverage is then depreciated. As well as the "musical instruments" likely includes other possessions and you'll very quickly reach that limit and be out of luck. Very quickly, I repeat. I had the "expensive" instruments on the rider and the more "standard" instruments as part of my "personal possessions."

My insurance going forward has *all* of my musical instruments (including cases) as a separate rider. Also ensure that you have an inflation clause in your rider.

Top Bottom