How often to change strings.

Wdh777

Reaction score
As a new player is there a rule of thumb as to how often you should change strings? Number of hours or certain number of months, etc? How can you tell that they need replacing? Do they sound different or not stay in tune? Thanks

Depends how much and how hard you play, of course.

If you believe in Ukulele Underground, on one of their Thursday live lessons earlier this year, Aldrine recommended every 2 months.

Personally, I change the strings when I can feel nicks under the strings from rubbing against the frets.

As you'll find with most string discussions (what type, low G, high G, etc), it depends.... ...and mostly it depends on you. How does it sound to you?

First, I personally wouldn't keep strings on any longer than 6 months. Then, from there I'd say how much sooner you change them is up to you.

If they're sounding dull and lifeless -- change 'em
If you're looking for a different tone -- change 'em
You want to experiment with something you've heard here -- yes, you guessed it... change 'em

That said, I'll let a little of my OCD show... I keep a string journal for each of my ukes. At the top I keep a running list of my favorite strings for that uke. Next is a list of stings I'm interested in trying. Finally, the rest of the string journal is a running log of each set of strings I've used with notes on how long they took to settle, what they sounded like, and other pieces collected from websites or reviews on those respective strings.

Happy strumming.

I’ve kept strings for years.
I’ve changed them when I wanted a new, warmer, brighter, different sound.
I put Worth Brown on my main Uke, and it took close to a month for them to settle and stop stretching. So for them, changing every two months would not work.
New strings will not stay in tune as they stretch.
Old strings may sound dull and less responsive.
There is no hard and fast rule. Some recommend frequent changes, others like me, keep strings for years. I would recommend that you install a good set. Sometimes the strings that come with your ukulele may not be of high quality. And changing them can make a great difference in the sound quality.
Good luck. Ad have fun. If you aren’t having fun, there is no reason to be playing.

Wound strings on a guitar will deteriorate quite a bit over time, and will need changing regularly. Though I used change strings with several years in between anyway.
On a uke without wound strings, they can stay on for a long time.
I change strings on my ukes when are dented from the frets, or I want to try sone new strings on. Usually between 6-18 months. But on a uke that I rarely play, they can sit on for longer.

Feel notches under strings from frets
strings beginning to shed material
Intonation gets noticeably out
Something sounds wrong

Never changed strings and thought it was too soon.
Have changed and knew I’d waited to long.

Practice makes it less difficult.

There are threads on differing opinions on breaking strings in.

As has been noted above, it all depends on how often you play;how hard you play;what type of srings you use and how and where the ukulele is stored when not in use. So many variables to consider. If your uke stays in tune and sounds okay,then don't worry about it. If you have any feelings that the tone or volume had degarded/decayed, then replace them. Every case is different, do what you feel comfortable with for your own satisfaction.

As a new player is there a rule of thumb as to how often you should change strings? Number of hours or certain number of months, etc? How can you tell that they need replacing? Do they sound different or not stay in tune? Thanks

If I feel wear marks from the frets, I know it's time for a change. I bought a used Fluke that had indentations on the strings.

Lots of good advice has been given. As others have mentioned if there are nicks on the strings from the frets or at the body area from picking its time to change. If you play 1/2 to 1 hour a day you can go 6 months easily without changing.

I have two friends, both good players that play a LOT that went 3 years without changing strings. I was the one who changed the strings on these instruments and they sounded fine with the old strings. Kinda went against everything I thought I knew, believed and preached, like change them every couple months.

Not very often. I let them go longer than I should. The above advise is all really good. I'm just chiming in to note that nothing catastrophic is going to happen if you let them go a little longer than the prescribed mileage.

Not very often. I let them go longer than I should. The above advise is all really good. I'm just chiming in to note that nothing catastrophic is going to happen if you let them go a little longer than the prescribed mileage.

Just be careful of breakage. "You'll shoot your eye out, kid." (Christmas Story) :)

When I entered this lifestyle my vow to myself was to change my strings every six months. However, the reality is that I change strings whenever I want. Some strings I have had for 2+ years. Here are some of the whimsies that have precipitated a changing of the strings

1. I didn't like the way the clear string looked over a dark fret board
2. I wanted to try a wound base string
3. I immediately perceived that a wound base string was not my cup of tea
4. aquila strings are for the hoi polloi
5. strings were too twangy and toylike
6. strings were holding me back
7. someone told me Worth strings would totally be up my alley
8. I decided to begin playing low G
9. I heard about Fremont Blacklines
10. My Kamaka strings were too thick and unyielding

When I entered this lifestyle my vow to myself was to change my strings every six months. However, the reality is that I change strings whenever I want. Some strings I have had for 2+ years. Here are some of the whimsies that have precipitated a changing of the strings

1. I didn't like the way the clear string looked over a dark fret board

I've gotten to the point where the appearance of the strings matters. Red, black, and clear are all good options, depending on the uke.

Change them when you think they sound like they could do with changing. That could be a few months or a few years, there are no set established rules.

Wound strings wear out quickly, so when it breaks the individual string gets replaced. Regular plain strings last much longer. When one of the regular strings breaks or shows signs of wear then I replace the whole set. Once I had a set of strings (d'Addario Titanium) that I did not like at all, so it got replaced after a few weeks when I was sure that I really did not like them.

I’ve kept strings for years.
I’ve changed them when I wanted a new, warmer, brighter, different sound.
I put Worth Brown on my main Uke, and it took close to a month for them to settle and stop stretching. So for them, changing every two months would not work.
New strings will not stay in tune as they stretch.
Old strings may sound dull and less responsive.
There is no hard and fast rule. Some recommend frequent changes, others like me, keep strings for years. I would recommend that you install a good set. Sometimes the strings that come with your ukulele may not be of high quality. And changing them can make a great difference in the sound quality.
Good luck. Ad have fun. If you aren’t having fun, there is no reason to be playing.
My uke has "quality strings", that's what they tell on my uke's internet page. Haven't changed them in 2.5 years. On the other hand played little at times and use the flesh of my thumb when strumming, so may give them another 2.5 years...

Last edited:
A lot of great advice above.

I'll just add: If you have to ask the question, you probably don't need to change them. When you see/hear a reason to change them, you'll know.

Granted, you won't notice if the strings gradually get duller after a few years, so if you wait that long, it's probably worth a restring. If you can't tell the difference between the old strings and the new strings, then the answer is keep 'em til they break! :p

Top Bottom