Ohana BK-35CGE solid mahogany baritone opinions please help

FuzzeeSock

Reaction score
Owners of the new Marcy Marxer Ohana BK-35CG and CGE cutaway models, or people who have played and heard it, please help!
I've been searching for a solid wood cutaway baritone with a deep lush soft but clear tone and great sustain for awhile, and am really interested in this Ohana model.

anyone who owns this, have played it, give some honest opinions?

So many baris out there, i've only played a few Kalas, Ponos, Cordobas, One other Ohana, Kohala, and the really amazing Favilla. All are nice.

Please give your opinions, more indepth review if possible, as the ones i've found online are really lacking, just surface level demos, and not quite getting deep enough into it.

I'd like to add, if you are also the owners of / have played the Mainland Red Cedar Baritones, or the new Kala solid spruce / ebony cutaway baritones, and can compare those against the Ohana baritone, please share your opinions too! Greatly appreciated!
I am also considering the Mainland Red Cedar Baritone. But from what i can tell so far, for my style of playing and ear, the Ohana might be better for me. My style is fingerstyle, jazz, some classical. For Baritones, i don't usually strum, but i do finger pick single notes and chords a lot if that helps.

I just want to avoid harsh and shrill tones.

thanks so much!

Last edited:
Owners of the new Marcy Marxer Ohana BK-35CG and CGE cutaway models, or people who have played and heard it, please help!
I've been searching for a solid wood cutaway baritone with a deep lush soft but clear tone and great sustain for awhile, and am really interested in this Ohana model.

So many baris out there, i've only played a few Kalas, Ponos, Cordobas, One other Ohana, Kohala, and the really amazing Favilla. All are nice.

Please give your opinions, more indepth review if possible, as the ones i've found online are really lacking, just surface level demos, and not quite getting deep enough into it.

I'd like to add, if you are also the owners of / have played the Mainland Red Cedar Baritones, or the new Kala solid spruce / ebony cutaway baritones, and can compare those against the Ohana baritone, please share your opinions too! Greatly appreciated!
I am also considering the Mainland Red Cedar Baritone. But from what i can tell so far, for my style of playing and ear, the Ohana might be better for me. My style is fingerstyle, jazz, some classical. For Baritones, i don't usually strum, but i do finger pick single notes and chords a lot if that helps.

thanks so much!

What did you end up going with? The Ohana BK-35CG and the Kala KA-SSEBY are both very nice baritones. I don't think you an go wrong with either. I have both, and love 'em.

Bk -35cg

thanks so much!

What did you end up going with? The Ohana BK-35CG and the Kala KA-SSEBY are both very nice baritones. I don't think you an go wrong with either. I have both, and love 'em.

Hi Griole, thanks for the advice. I haven't decided yet. Waiting for a few retailers to have the Ohana in stock first, then I'll get the Ohana and see. If it doesn't work out, I'll consider the kala, or wait till Mainland makes the red cedar cutaway Bari and try that. ��

Top Bottom