Cocobolo Concert #412

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Okay, the photos aren't great - taken under some very old 4' fluorescent lamps in a ceiling fixture that is turning yellow...

The only thing I'm not enamored of is the Kala Uke Crazy polyfoam case. One of the Velcro straps that wrap around the uke neck (Treble side) pulled out - it had been attached - I kid you not - with a straight pin bent at a 90° angle, inside the foam. It was sticking up, outside the foam. I will be getting an HSC soon.

But the uke? Oh, yeah. Oh Yeah.

Worth Brown strings, very loose, so it will be a couple of days until they hold tune well, but great sound so far. Mi-Si trio pickup, I won't plug it in until the instrument holds pitch.

But beautiful, easy to hold, and truly "like butter"

I might be done.

top.jpg

back.jpg

bass side.jpg

treble side.jpg

Sound sample when the strings are stretched.

-Kurt​

Wow, Kurt, you did good!
Congratulations and welcome to Cocobolo world.

I put a little back in that uke. Will you be bringing it to Guilderland at the end of the month?

View attachment 122632

Well, since the Guilderland meeting is the 3rd Thursday, I won't be there; I'll be at Proctors in Schenectady, for the Eighth Step Open Mic; I help with the sound and set up for the Step, and always play at the Open Mic, if I'm home. I missed last month because of the New York State Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck; I'm the Roadie and Driver for my wife's Yarn Shop, and after we finished packing the car and rental van on the 17th, we headed down to Poughkeepsie. (Set up on Friday, sales on Saturday and Sunday, then packed up and drove back Sunday evening. Good thing I took Friday and Monday off from work!)

Enjoy your new uke? Happy Strumming

Good lookin' Cocobolo concert Kurt. Love the sap stripes on the top and back.

I have a tenor with the fancy rosette. I prefer the plain sound hole like yours. The Cocobolo wood body has a unique sound.

Enjoy.

I put a little color back in that uke. Will you be bringing it to Guilderland at the end of the month?

View attachment 122632

I took another photo, in the case, with flash. Here is what that looks like:

with flash.jpg

Strings are starting to hold, but not quite there yet - can't get through an entire song without loosing pitch.

Have I mentioned how much I love a bound fretboard?

nice brother! love me a bound fretboard also. enjoy it mate.

I took another photo, in the case, with flash. Here is what that looks like:

View attachment 122660

Strings are starting to hold, but not quite there yet - can't get through an entire song without loosing pitch.

Have I mentioned how much I love a bound fretboard?

That looks nice. I know what you mean about the pin that holds the Velcro in place. That strap is good for holding the uke in place, though. I've been tempted to add it to other cases.

But the uke? Oh, yeah. Oh Yeah.

Worth Brown strings, very loose, so it will be a couple of days until they hold tune well, but great sound so far. Mi-Si trio pickup, I won't plug it in until the instrument holds pitch.

But beautiful, easy to hold, and truly "like butter"

I might be done.

View attachment 122628

View attachment 122629

View attachment 122630

View attachment 122631

Sound sample when the strings are stretched.

-Kurt​

Wow, that is really beautiful! Nice haul!

That looks nice. I know what you mean about the pin that holds the Velcro in place. That strap is good for holding the uke in place, though. I've been tempted to add it to other cases.

Jeez! I have received some used ukes in canvas polyfoam cases that had the Velcro straps held with straight pins. I always thought they were repairs by the previous owners after the straps had pulled out. If those are new cases with straight pins it's totally unacceptable. I sliced my finger on one of those pins after it bent and stuck out of the sidewall of the case.

Jeez! I have received some used ukes in canvas polyfoam cases that had the Velcro straps held with straight pins. I always thought they were repairs by the previous owners after the straps had pulled out. If those are new cases with straight pins it's totally unacceptable. I sliced my finger on one of those pins after it bent and stuck out of the sidewall of the case.

Maybe some kind of glue would be better.

I'm just grateful it didn't scratch the uke's neck.

The strap on my cocobolo case also came broken. But I was happy the Ukulele came in a case that's protective

Top Bottom