Yes, Some Ukes are Very Expensive

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I saw this on another forum. Good story.

A customer wanted to purchase a beautiful wire wrap bracelet and spotted an artist who did absolutely amazing work, but she charged a high price. The customer thought that the artist's price was way too high, so she approached the artist and in quite a brusk fashion stated, "I want to buy a bracelet from you, but I think you charge too much."

The artist was a little taken aback but replied, "Ok, how much do you think I should charge?"

The customer replied, “I think you should charge “X” much, because the wire will cost this much, and the clasp this much, and the cabochon this much. I even factored in the price of your pliers."

The final price the customer had calculated was a lot cheaper than the artist's original price, but she said "Ok, deal. You will get your goods in a week".

The customer was very pleased with herself and can’t resist telling all her friends what a fabulous deal she has negotiated and how smart she is, and that in a week she will have her gorgeous bracelet.

A week later her parcel arrives in a lovely packaged box. She opens it, and inside is wire, a clasp, a cabochon, and two pairs of pliers. Angrily, she contacts the artist asking, “How could you do this to me? I asked you for a bracelet and you sent me a box of wire, a clasp, a cabochon and two sets of pliers!"

The artist quietly replies, "My dear, you got exactly what you paid for. If you think there is something missing, then you will need to pay for it."

Moral of the story is, when you buy handmade, you are not just buying the materials. You are buying the artist's, time, effort, love, and dedication that goes into making your pieces.

Last edited:
Exactly!

On a related note, I once heard somebody tell Herman Brood that he did not understand why people paid a lot of money for his work, claiming that "Anybody could do that!"
The painter replied "You should do it then, there's great money to be made!"

I saw this on another forum. Good story.

A customer wanted to purchase a beautiful wire wrap bracelet and spotted an artist who did absolutely amazing work, but she charged a high price. The customer thought that the artist's price was way too high, so she approached the artist and in quite a brusk fashion stated, "I want to buy a bracelet from you, but I think you charge too much."

The artist was a little taken aback but replied, "Ok, how much do you think I should charge?"

The customer replied, “I think you should charge “X” much, because the wire will cost this much, and the clasp this much, and the cabochon this much. I even factored in the price of your pliers."

The final price the customer had calculated was a lot cheaper than the artist's original price, but she said "Ok, deal. You will get your goods in a week".

The customer was very pleased with herself and can’t resist telling all her friends what a fabulous deal she has negotiated and how smart she is, and that in a week she will have her gorgeous bracelet.

A week later her parcel arrives in a lovely packaged box. She opens it, and inside is wire, a clasp, a cabochon, and two pairs of pliers. Angrily, she contacts the artist asking, “How could you do this to me? I asked you for a bracelet and you sent me a box of wire, a clasp, a cabochon and two sets of pliers!"

The artist quietly replies, "My dear, you got exactly what you paid for. If you think there is something missing, then you will need to pay for it."

Moral of the story is, when you buy handmade, you are not just buying the materials. You are buying the artist's, time, effort, love, and dedication that goes into making your pieces.
Good one! I also feel people should learn more about making things with their own hands.. will bring a better understanding and appreciation.

I was talking to a local ukulele luthier recently. His ukes sell for about $1000. He said each one takes about 50 hrs from start to finish. When you account for materials and other fixed costs, it’s apparent he’s not producing these marvelous instruments just for the money.

Before getting my most expensive uke, I had to let go of a similar mentality. I'd keep thinking "based on what I want, there theoretically could be a cheaper uke out there with all of the features." It just doesn't work that way, though.

The story reminds me of two funny things. One is a recent reddit thread in the "Am I the asshole?" subreddit where a guy asks if it's normal to approach his neighbor, who is a stranger, and ask her to regularly cook for him. His reasoning is "if I give her five bucks to be my cook, that's fine because she's already cooking, so I don't need to pay her for the time, and how much could the food cost anyway?"

There's also the joke where a plumber comes in to check out a guy's pipes. He takes out a hammer and taps on one part of the pipe. He's done so he hands the client a bill for $100. The client says "A hundred bucks just for that? I'm not going to pay this until I see an itemized version." The plumber quickly writes up an itemized bill. It says "Tapping the pipe: $1. Knowing where to tap it: $99."

A co-student of mine once told me that he bought designer toilet brushes for like $100 or $200 a piece. I was astounded, how can they charge so much for a toilet brush?
Yeah, I know, they need to have a designer make them, so the matched the designer bins you place in the restroom. They need good fotographers to take pictures in the right light. They need to make a website to brand the designer toilet design series. The need to build fancy displays for them in the fancy stores, where well dressed sales persons sell them and wrap them nicely when used for gifts. It all costs a lot. I am just surprised that someone will pay that for a toilet brush.

The same way some people are surprised that someone will pay to have a luthier, living in a high priced western country, to spend a long time making a delicate abalone inlay and mirror gloss on an ukulele, when you can get a plain one, sounding close to as good, build in a factory, for a fraction of the price. You cant argue that the many hours of work justifies a high price. If someone is willing to pay it. Otherwise, it is hard to justify making the ukulele in the first place. But there are many starving artists in many art branches.

I respect that craftmanship/art should be payed for, and that some people are willing to pay the price, but mocking people who find it extravagant, and is surprised that there is a marked for it, is a bit strict.

There is another dynamic in play here. Many people do pay the price and are happy with the product. The greater fear is that you are paying a premium price and getting a comparatively inferior product.

I always try to find a lower price for items I want and I work at it diligently. When I wanted a custom made gypsy jazz style ukulele. I contacted three luthiers in North America who made that style, but all were over $1500. The supposedly top one took four months to return my email, but I had already found a builder in Asia who charged $780 including shipping. It's now one of my favorite ukes.

For few years I've been wanting a Gibson SG EB-0 style mini bass, I couldn't find one to modify so I asked my luthier what he would charge for a custom, about $1800. A few months later I discovered a luthier in South Africa who makes solid body electric ukuleles, including baritones just the size I like. When I asked what he would charge to make it an SG bass, he said $800 including shipping. It's being built right now.

Also, I decided I wanted an Apple watch, but I don't need all the features of the latest version 5 for $400-$700, so I got online and found that the series 3 is still available with all the features I would need and a slightly smaller size that I prefer for $177 open box at Best Buy. I then looked for a stainless steel link band, which go for $75 to $200, but I found one from Amazon for $16 on sale.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Also, I decided I wanted an Apple watch, but I don't need all the features of the latest version 5 for $400-$700...

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

The Internet makes it so much easier to shop. I found a $140 cordless vacuum I wanted. By spending a few minutes looking online, I found it for $80.

I always try to find a lower price for items I want and I work at it diligently. When I wanted a custom made gypsy jazz style ukulele. I contacted three luthiers in North America who made that style, but all were over $1500. The supposedly top one one took four months to return my email, but I had already found a builder in Asia who charged $780 including shipping. It's now one of favorite ukes.

For few years I've been wanting a Gibson SG EB-0 style mini bass, I couldn't find one to modify so I asked my luthier what he would charge for a custom, about $1800. A few months later I discovered a luthier in South Africa who makes solid body electric ukuleles, including baritones just the size I like. When I asked what he would charge to make it an SG bass, he said $800 including shipping. It's being built right now.

Also, I decided I wanted an Apple watch, but I don't need all the features of the latest version 5 for $400-$700, so I got online and found that the series 3 is still available with all the features I would need and a slightly smaller size that I prefer for $177 open box at Best Buy. I then looked for a stainless steel link band, which go for $75 to $200, but I found one from Amazon for $16 on sale.

I'm sure the instruments you are having built will sound wonderful, but it is only fair to point out that the won't be the same as any of the luthier built ones here as each luthier will have his own take on something. Since you aren't buying one of their own designs, I'm sure it won't matter as much, but usually, when someone gets a custom build from a specific luthier, they are also buying that luthier's style of build and their unique method evolved from their own experience. If someone wants a Moore Bettah, a similar looking Bruce Wei won't be the same or sound in the same league.

I always try to find a lower price for items I want and I work at it diligently. When I wanted a custom made gypsy jazz style ukulele. I contacted three luthiers in North America who made that style, but all were over $1500. The supposedly top one one took four months to return my email, but I had already found a builder in Asia who charged $780 including shipping. It's now one of favorite ukes.

On similar lines as others pointed out. Your comparison does not make sense, it analogous to saying Apple Watch had too many features so I went ahead and bought a Casio.. yes Casio makes fine watches but it is not the same as getting an older Apple Watch.
I think if you want to get a similar product cheaper buying it second hand is better than buying something that superficially might seem same.. a Kala resonator is not the same as a national.. 2 Gypsy Jazz ukes are not the same even if they are called the same name. It is like saying I got a ukulele for $50 why spend $1000 for a ukulele.. yes both are ukes and if to your ears and senses they are the same then good for you.. what many of us feel is that they are not the same and there are valid reasons for the other uke to be $1000.. on that note I am sure why buy a Tesla when you can have a second hand electric car for $5000 on Craigslist..

I've got no argument whether you're playing an inexpensive plastic uke or a luthier-made masterpiece or anything in-between. Today's market has many types of ukes for a wide range of prices. The great thing about this is you get to decide what you want to buy. Enjoy your uke and godspeed.

But oh, it annoys me when people complain about the price of a uke, as if builders need your permission to charge a premium price for their work and expertise. A fine ukulele is a work of precision and beauty. In a world where a guitar can cost many thousands of dollars, and a painting could cost... well... anything, why shouldn't our wonderful instrument command a high price?

The people who say "OMG how can a ukulele be so expensive!" are really just dissing us. They're saying "a uke can't be worth real money, it's just a cheap little toy." I look forward to a day when Tiffany's sells $10,000 ukes. I won't be buying one, but I'll be glad to see somebody do it.

On similar lines as others pointed out. Your comparison does not make sense, it analogous to saying Apple Watch had too many features so I went ahead and bought a Casio.. yes Casio makes fine watches but it is not the same as getting an older Apple Watch.
I think if you want to get a similar product cheaper buying it second hand is better than buying something that superficially might seem same.. a Kala resonator is not the same as a national.. 2 Gypsy Jazz ukes are not the same even if they are called the same name. It is like saying I got a ukulele for $50 why spend $1000 for a ukulele.. yes both are ukes and if to your ears and senses they are the same then good for you.. what many of us feel is that they are not the same and there are valid reasons for the other uke to be $1000.. on that note I am sure why buy a Tesla when you can have a second hand electric car for $5000 on Craigslist..

Ultimately it's about the sweet spot of the funds at our disposal, what we what we value in this world and what we are prepared to pay for it. Isn't it a personal preference thing? It's just got to work for you but I don't think it should be seen as a negative if someone sources something for a lesser price and they are happy with this. It's not a slight on more expensive makers if kohanmike thinks he's got some great uke's and he's happy with what he paid.

I don't agree with people complaining about the price of a ukulele though. There's more than enough options out there and the work of some of the custom uke's out there really are works of art.

So basically you do largely get what you pay for but it's all personal choice on what you're willing to pay for and there's nothing wrong with that either.

Ultimately it's about the sweet spot of the funds at our disposal, what we what we value in this world and what we are prepared to pay for it. Isn't it a personal preference thing? It's just got to work for you but I don't think it should be seen as a negative if someone sources something for a lesser price and they are happy with this. It's not a slight on more expensive makers if kohanmike thinks he's got some great uke's and he's happy with what he paid.

I don't agree with people complaining about the price of a ukulele though. There's more than enough options out there and the work of some of the custom uke's out there really are works of art.

So basically you do largely get what you pay for but it's all personal choice on what you're willing to pay for and there's nothing wrong with that either.
I agree, if an uke makes you happy.. it makes you happy! Who cares what it costs.
I just did not agree with the comparison made.. It is important that ideas such as a Gypsy Jazz is a Gypsy Jazz and the maker does not matter do not get preached.. as it is not right.. getting an older generation apple watch instead of the latest model is not the same (it is still an Apple quality controlled product) as buying a smart watch made by a different maker for a lot less.. which is that the argument was when one says I found some one else to make a uke for less and it is somehow the same.. I guess I am being pedantic about the argument made but I agree with the spirit of the argument.. get a uke you can afford and if you love it, that is great, you just saved a whole lot of money which is always wise but don't go about implying that higher priced ukes are not justified.

Before getting my most expensive uke, I had to let go of a similar mentality. I'd keep thinking "based on what I want, there theoretically could be a cheaper uke out there with all of the features." It just doesn't work that way, though.

The story reminds me of two funny things. One is a recent reddit thread in the "Am I the asshole?" subreddit where a guy asks if it's normal to approach his neighbor, who is a stranger, and ask her to regularly cook for him. His reasoning is "if I give her five bucks to be my cook, that's fine because she's already cooking, so I don't need to pay her for the time, and how much could the food cost anyway?"

There's also the joke where a plumber comes in to check out a guy's pipes. He takes out a hammer and taps on one part of the pipe. He's done so he hands the client a bill for $100. The client says "A hundred bucks just for that? I'm not going to pay this until I see an itemized version." The plumber quickly writes up an itemized bill. It says "Tapping the pipe: $1. Knowing where to tap it: $99."

HAHAHAHA!
This reminds me of my brother-in-law. He installs HVAC systems. He recently bid a customer an install and quoted him four hours of labor, and the customer signed and approved the quote.
He did completed work in about two and a half hours. The customer said, "Hey, you quoted me four hours!"
My brother-in-law replied, "Yes, but it has taken me twenty years to learn how to do a four-hour job in two and a half hours!"

Had a smile at this.

Reminds me of the old quote.
screenshot-www.google.co.uk-2018.11.10-22-32-56.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not against High Priced Uku's but some of us cannot spend 20% of our income on a Ukulele!

If you're making $60K-200K a year a K brand is just a bargain, but if you're less wealthy a $90 Caramel may be good enough.

I'm not against High Priced Uku's but some of us cannot spend 20% of our income on a Ukulele!

If you're making $60K-200K a year a K brand is just a bargain, but if you're less wealthy a $90 Caramel may be good enough.

Thankfully, there are many wonderful sounding ukes that cost a lot less. Do they sound as good as the expensive ones - no. Do they have a pleasurable sound - yes. I own a Luna resonator (cheap Chinese resonator) and a National. Does the National sound much better? Yes. Does the Luna sound nice and is it a pleasure to play? Absolutely.

There seems to be an assumption that a luthier built uke will always sound better than a production line uke. It ain't necessarily so.

The difference is in consistency of result. Consider a simple, solid mahogany ukulele. Those from the same production line can vary hugely, one from another. Maybe one in ten (wild guess, but probably not far out) will be as good as it can be (OK - one in fifteen, then!) A skilled luthier should hit the sweet spot every time.

IMHO, (he said, with a self satisfied smirk) you would find little difference between the 1 in 15 production example, and the bespoke instrument - sound-wise.

John Colter

Top Bottom