Planning a trip to Hawaii

soonerdude

Reaction score
I'm planning on taking a trip to Hawaii in Feb with the wife. We have never been so just wondering if people had any suggestions on the place to go for a first visit? We are in our 50's and not party people but love ukulele of course and Hawaiian music and looking for a nice beach that isn't too crowded...anybody have any ideas? Any advice would be great...thanks!

Edit - sorry this should probably be in General Discussion but I'm not sure how to move it or delete it

Last edited:
Kamaka, Kanilea, and Koaloha have free tours of their ukulele factories on Oahu. Check their websites for schedules.

My wife and I just returned from our second trip to Maui and we also island-hopped to Molokai. If you want uncrowded beaches, Molokai can't be beat but you may also run out of other things to do (a few days was plenty for us). I also liked the beaches on the south side of Maui (Kihei).

Other than that, you'll get better advice if you give some more ideas of what you're interests are (snorkeling, hiking, shopping, entertainment, etc.). The islands are each quite different.

IMO, if you have enough time (say, 10+ days), it's nice to spend a few days on a different island than the one you first land on. Kauai > the Big Island was a fun one for us.

Last edited:
We are totally hooked on Hawaii and go to Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island. Each of them is very different and has a lot to offer, including awesome beaches and many uke stores. Oahu/Waikiki is super busy with a lot of hustle and bustle, and you can walk to Waikiki beaches, or take The Bus to other attractions. As mentioned before, the big K brands are there and offer factory tours. Kauai is more laid back, and has a lot of diversity packed into a small island. You will need a rental car, but I don't think there is any place that is further than 40 min drive. Scotty's is the top uke store there. Big Island is big and has very different east and west sides. The west side (Kona) is more touristy, and the east side (Hilo) more diverse, with a cool Volcano in between. Driving times between the sides are a couple of hours, and there are many small and very quirky uke shops and luthiers everywhere.

Last edited:
Kamaka, Kanilea, and Koaloha have free tours of their ukulele factories on Oahu. Check their websites for schedules.

This is basically the biggest reason I want to visit Hawaii one day. I really want to visit the Kamaka factory at least. :D

Hawaii, wow, nearly exactly on the opposite side of the globe from where I am. Haven't even made it to the States yet :uhoh:

Have a nice trip, and please report back!

If you are going to Oahu it is well worth the time and effort to rent a car and drive to the North Shore for a visit to Hawaiian Music Supply (aka The Ukulele Site) located in Haleiwa. Stop on the way at the Dole Plantation for a tour and if you are interested in history at all please find the time to visit Pearl Harbor, the Arizona and the Missouri. Quite moving. We did a Pearl Harbor and Historic Honolulu one-day tour and it was great. And, as alreatdy mentioned, the Kamaka, Kanilea, and Koaloha factory tours are fun and educational (but only do all 3 if you are a big ukulele nerd, like me!)

We are totally hooked on Hawaii and go to Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island. Each of them is very different and has a lot to offer, including awesome beaches and many uke stores. Oahu/Waikiki is super busy with a lot of hustle and bustle, and you can walk to Waikiki beaches, or take The Bus to other attractions. As mentioned before, the big K brands are there and offer factory tours. Kauai is more laid back, and has a lot of diversity packed into a small island. You will need a rental car, but I don't think there is any place that is further than 40 min drive. Scotty's is the top uke store there. Big Island is big and has very different east and west sides. The east side (Kona) is more touristy, and the west side (Hilo) more diverse, with a cool Volcano in between. Driving times between the sides are a couple of hours, and there are many small and very quirky uke shops and luthiers everywhere.

Actually, Kona is on the WEST side of the Big Island. The Hilo side is east. The best beaches for swimming on the Big Island are on the Kona side, as the Hilo side beaches are mostly lava.
If you happen to be on the Hilo side on a Wednesday, drive down to Uncle's Awa Bar in Kalapana (south of Pahoa) for an evening farmer's market and live Hawaiian music.

I'm a lava-lover, so the Big Island was ideal for me. There are many little tours - in boats and on land. I'm sure our members will offer lots of suggestions.

If you tell us what island(s) you'll visit, we can give details.

Last edited:
Actually, Kona is on the WEST side of the Big Island. The Hilo side is east. The best beaches for swimming on the Big Island are on the Kona side, as the Hilo side beaches are mostly lava.
If you happen to be on the Hilo side on a Wednesday, drive down to Uncle's Awa Bar in Kalapana (south of Pahoa) for an evening farmer's market and live Hawaiian music.

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2019/08/23/hawaii-news/uncle-roberts-night-market-shuts-down/

The market has been shut down. Damn.

Thanks to all for the replies...we weren't even sure which island so all this info is awesome!

One of the most memorable things I've done in Hawaii was to take the early morning sea kayak / snorkeling tour at Kealakekua Bay on the Big Island. I forget his name but if you can get the short older guy who is also a history teacher at the local middle school as your tour guide you will be amazed. His retelling of the death of Captain Cook was mesmerizing; a one-man play really.

The snorkeling is great too AND you leave just as the giant boats full of other tourists crowd the place.

I want to return to the Big Island because we really didn't get to see too much of it but I feel like Kauai, Maui, and Oahu have more of the lush tropical forests that I think of when I think of islands. Honolulu is far too busy for me although the Kamaka tour was certainly worth seeing.

Buy a Maui Gold pineapple if you see one in the stores. Take their tour if you go to Maui (you get 2 free pineapples) then go next door to the distillery if you like spirits.

The main thing is to gorge yourself on sushi and poke the whole time you're there!

The market had been shut down in August (for the reasons stated in the Hawaii Tribune article) but it had reopened in September. I'm hoping the Hawaii Tribune is just posting old news (the Facebook video to which it refers is either the same one or very similar to one that was posted on FB in August), but it's possible that the market is closed again. I have friends who live in the area and I can check with them.

Thanks to all for the replies...we weren't even sure which island so all this info is awesome!

I've been there several times - Maui once and the Big Island the rest of the time. I didn't even consider visiting other islands because of all the time I'd waste at the airport. Still each island has something different to offer.

I've never been either, but have been thinking of a trip for years. At first I was looking at an Island hopping cruise, but I think I want to delve more into the local culture and enjoy the music. So, now I'm thinking of going to Oahu, touring the Big K factories and checking out HMS. Also finding good music! First Tuesdays of the month is a jam sponsored by Kanile'a at the Windward mall in Kāne`ohe. Also look for where Kapena is playing! I was also thinking of renting a camper. And as far as eating sushi as someone mentioned...NOT gonna happen! :D :shaka:

The market had been shut down in August (for the reasons stated in the Hawaii Tribune article) but it had reopened in September. I'm hoping the Hawaii Tribune is just posting old news (the Facebook video to which it refers is either the same one or very similar to one that was posted on FB in August), but it's possible that the market is closed again. I have friends who live in the area and I can check with them.

You might be correct. We are planning a mid-January trip to the Big Island and are hoping to visit Uncle's again on a Wednesday Night.

If you are going to Oahu it is well worth the time and effort to rent a car and drive to the North Shore for a visit to Hawaiian Music Supply (aka The Ukulele Site) located in Haleiwa. Stop on the way at the Dole Plantation for a tour and if you are interested in history at all please find the time to visit Pearl Harbor, the Arizona and the Missouri. Quite moving. We did a Pearl Harbor and Historic Honolulu one-day tour and it was great. And, as alreatdy mentioned, the Kamaka, Kanilea, and Koaloha factory tours are fun and educational (but only do all 3 if you are a big ukulele nerd, like me!)

Do not, do NOT!!! visit the Ukulele Site unless you want to return home with another ukulele (or two or three)
‘Google ‘ them, use images, and you will see that they have a wonderful supply. Uke nirvana.
Afternoon tea at the veranda at the Halekulani in Waikiki is enjoyable for us. Relaxing and decadent.
Enjoy your trip.

I’m in my seventh year living on Oahu. If you go to the Dole Plantation on the way to Haleiwa, the North Shore’s big town, beware. It’s in my opinion a ripoff but seeing how to properly cut a pineapple is worth the demonstration and also how to grow a pineapple. I’ve grown three. Outside there is a garden with various varieties of pineapples. The pineapple ice cream is nice but you stand in a long line. Otherwise, a collection of high priced pineapple knickknacks, a very stupid and expensive maze and a ridiculous train ride around the plantation.

For a better selection of Hawaiian products and potential gifts go to the old sugar factory in Wailua which is just a few miles from Haleiwa. There you will find a much more authentic Hawaiian feel. Wailua is a very small town. Haleiwa is a collection of shops catering to tourists and surfers. If you really want to experience what’s left of old Oahu driving to the other side of the island. As you leave Kaneohe heading north you see the real island.

There is a great botanical garden is Wahiawa which is midway between Honolulu and the North Shore. Wahiawa is probably the ugliest town on the island but the garden is great. Heading north, turn right on California street and drive a few miles until you find the garden on the left. Magical.

Last edited:
Top Bottom