Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning a trip to Hawaii

Default Planning a trip to Hawaii

I'm planning on taking a trip to Hawaii in Feb with the wife. We have never been so just wondering if people had any suggestions on the place to go for a first visit? We are in our 50's and not party people but love ukulele of course and Hawaiian music and looking for a nice beach that isn't too crowded...anybody have any ideas? Any advice would be great...thanks!

Edit - sorry this should probably be in General Discussion but I'm not sure how to move it or delete it
    Last edited by soonerdude; 11-06-2019 at 04:41 AM.

Kamaka, Kanilea, and Koaloha have free tours of their ukulele factories on Oahu. Check their websites for schedules.

My wife and I just returned from our second trip to Maui and we also island-hopped to Molokai. If you want uncrowded beaches, Molokai can't be beat but you may also run out of other things to do (a few days was plenty for us). I also liked the beaches on the south side of Maui (Kihei).

Other than that, you'll get better advice if you give some more ideas of what you're interests are (snorkeling, hiking, shopping, entertainment, etc.). The islands are each quite different.

IMO, if you have enough time (say, 10+ days), it's nice to spend a few days on a different island than the one you first land on. Kauai > the Big Island was a fun one for us.
    Last edited by WestyShane; 11-06-2019 at 05:24 AM.

We are totally hooked on Hawaii and go to Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island. Each of them is very different and has a lot to offer, including awesome beaches and many uke stores. Oahu/Waikiki is super busy with a lot of hustle and bustle, and you can walk to Waikiki beaches, or take The Bus to other attractions. As mentioned before, the big K brands are there and offer factory tours. Kauai is more laid back, and has a lot of diversity packed into a small island. You will need a rental car, but I don't think there is any place that is further than 40 min drive. Scotty's is the top uke store there. Big Island is big and has very different east and west sides. The west side (Kona) is more touristy, and the east side (Hilo) more diverse, with a cool Volcano in between. Driving times between the sides are a couple of hours, and there are many small and very quirky uke shops and luthiers everywhere.
    Last edited by merlin666; 11-07-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by man0a View Post
    Kamaka, Kanilea, and Koaloha have free tours of their ukulele factories on Oahu. Check their websites for schedules.
    This is basically the biggest reason I want to visit Hawaii one day. I really want to visit the Kamaka factory at least.

Hawaii, wow, nearly exactly on the opposite side of the globe from where I am. Haven't even made it to the States yet

Have a nice trip, and please report back!
    Have a good soprano

My whistling channel

If you are going to Oahu it is well worth the time and effort to rent a car and drive to the North Shore for a visit to Hawaiian Music Supply (aka The Ukulele Site) located in Haleiwa. Stop on the way at the Dole Plantation for a tour and if you are interested in history at all please find the time to visit Pearl Harbor, the Arizona and the Missouri. Quite moving. We did a Pearl Harbor and Historic Honolulu one-day tour and it was great. And, as alreatdy mentioned, the Kamaka, Kanilea, and Koaloha factory tours are fun and educational (but only do all 3 if you are a big ukulele nerd, like me!)
    Martin 3K Soprano
    Santa Cruz Custom Mahogany Concert | Collings UC3 K Concert
    KoAloha KTM-00 "Special Issue" Tenor | Centennial Kamaka HF-3 D2I Slothead Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    We are totally hooked on Hawaii and go to Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island. Each of them is very different and has a lot to offer, including awesome beaches and many uke stores. Oahu/Waikiki is super busy with a lot of hustle and bustle, and you can walk to Waikiki beaches, or take The Bus to other attractions. As mentioned before, the big K brands are there and offer factory tours. Kauai is more laid back, and has a lot of diversity packed into a small island. You will need a rental car, but I don't think there is any place that is further than 40 min drive. Scotty's is the top uke store there. Big Island is big and has very different east and west sides. The east side (Kona) is more touristy, and the west side (Hilo) more diverse, with a cool Volcano in between. Driving times between the sides are a couple of hours, and there are many small and very quirky uke shops and luthiers everywhere.
    Actually, Kona is on the WEST side of the Big Island. The Hilo side is east. The best beaches for swimming on the Big Island are on the Kona side, as the Hilo side beaches are mostly lava.
    If you happen to be on the Hilo side on a Wednesday, drive down to Uncle's Awa Bar in Kalapana (south of Pahoa) for an evening farmer's market and live Hawaiian music.

I'm a lava-lover, so the Big Island was ideal for me. There are many little tours - in boats and on land. I'm sure our members will offer lots of suggestions.

If you tell us what island(s) you'll visit, we can give details.
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 11-07-2019 at 12:30 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mds725 View Post
    Actually, Kona is on the WEST side of the Big Island. The Hilo side is east. The best beaches for swimming on the Big Island are on the Kona side, as the Hilo side beaches are mostly lava.
    If you happen to be on the Hilo side on a Wednesday, drive down to Uncle's Awa Bar in Kalapana (south of Pahoa) for an evening farmer's market and live Hawaiian music.
    https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...et-shuts-down/

The market has been shut down. Damn.

Thread Information