New Strings your input

plunker

Reaction score
I just orders the Super Nylgut Aquila strings. Low G tenor. Going to put them on my roosebeck baroque a lele. Any comments on the strings. Probably should have asked before buying but too late for that.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 24
What did you have on before? That's a pretty divisive string selection. Some people love them, others detest them. I wouldn't worry too much if you get some negative responses as you may fall in the the other camp.

I have worth browns in high G. I won't stay in tune for anything. Not sure it it is the strings or the tuners, or the stringer. I think it was Burt Ukulele demonstrated one and commented positively on the nylgut strings. I saw super infront of it and thought that was the way to go.

I have worth browns in high G. I won't stay in tune for anything. Not sure it it is the strings or the tuners, or the stringer. I think it was Burt Ukulele demonstrated one and commented positively on the nylgut strings. I saw super infront of it and thought that was the way to go.

Nylguts will be quite a noticeable change in tone. I can't tell from the photo, but it looks like you might have friction tuners? That would be something to check. Have you had other strings on it without issues?

I had some Aquila Reds once and the E string never settled in and the intonation was off too.

They are friction tuners. Can I tighten the screw on the bottom of them and increase the friction.

I have the super nylguts on my tenor, paired with a red low G. I like them a lot and had no need for change in about five years of playing them for several hours each week. Nylgut strings are fairly thick, so facilitate precise playing.

For context, I use only fluoro strings, usually Martin, and only change them if/when I notice they are having intonation issues, which is more obvious when playing up the neck, and not so obvious if only ever playing by the nut.

I play a concert Flea (my sole uke) and the intonation is nearly dead-on, so any variance is glaringly obvious to me.

With about a half hour minimum of daily play, I get about 5 months out of a set of Martin strings before they show signs of intonation failure, but with the plastic fretboard, I've not yet seen nor felt these indentations under the strings in the 7 yrs since playing on my Flea.

Maybe this is another advantage to playing one of these instruments? (in that the strings are not damaged by the plastic fretboard)

Super Nylgut is the only Aquila I like. I personally like the sound, feel, and tuning stability of them (assuming the uke isn't a problem with the last one).
Yeah, you probably should try tightening the tuners.

What kind of sound are you looking for?
These are how I hear ukulele strings. They are strictly my personal impressions, I play only tenors, and I know others hear them differently:
Nylons have a crisp, almost barking sound that I find a little harsh. Yet I have heard people play some exquisite, soft and lovely music on them. When I think of Nylon strings, I think of a traditional soprano "Hawaiian" sound.
Fluorocarbons have a softer, more chime-like sound. Some sound almost guitar-like. Others a mellow or dark sound. I think, in general, they are more nuanced than Nylons. But, I have heard players get an almost steel string sound on their electric ukes from some fluoros.
Aquila Sugar strings seem like they are a little of both. Nylons with a softer, rounder, somewhat Fluorocarbon tinged sound.
Wound G & C strings have a "Whang" sound to me. That can often overwhelm the other strings. And they wear out quicker than plains. I have heard fantastic fingerstyle playing where the harshness isn't at all apparent.

These are rough, very general descriptions. The instrument itself affects the sound. And a string that sounds great on one instrument can sound dull and plonky on another.
I think Living Waters Fluorocarbons would sound great on your roosebeck baroque-a-lele. They have a sort of dulcimer or mandolin-ish sound that I find very musical and lush.

Last edited:
Top Bottom