Tuning peg washers?

robbond55

Reaction score
Hello all...
I was just trying to pick somebody's brains on here.
I picked up a dirt cheap (just £5) Makala pineapple soprano uke which I intend to use as 'pick it up and sling in a bag' uke and was about to restring it.
One thing I noticed is that one of the white plastic washer over the hole where the post for the string comes through is missing and because I am no good with names of these parts I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction to get some replacements please?
I have searched online to no avail but just like the little details to make sure it is all complete!
Many regards
Rob

Uaually, those are called bushings, but they could jjust be using washers too . You may be able to get one from Kala customer service, if you email them. If not, measure the diameter of the bushing on the back, where it goes in the hole, or just measure the hole, then buy a new set of 4 to match the hole size. Finding white plastic ones may be difficult, plus I think metal is more durable anyway. If it is just a washer, just grab 4 thin metal ones from a hardware store.

Last edited:
Hello all...
I was just trying to pick somebody's brains on here.
I picked up a dirt cheap (just £5) Makala pineapple soprano uke which I intend to use as 'pick it up and sling in a bag' uke and was about to restring it.
One thing I noticed is that one of the white plastic washer over the hole where the post for the string comes through is missing and because I am no good with names of these parts I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction to get some replacements please?
I have searched online to no avail but just like the little details to make sure it is all complete!
Many regards
Rob

Congratulations on the deal. Makala’s work fine as a beater and better still with a bone saddle and Martin M600’s on them.

I still have a Makala Uke but it’s lent out. IIRC one of the plain plastic washers (that is all that they are) got lost so I simply used metal ones (a set of four) to look the part and suggest that you do the same. Measure the shaft, select the size and purchase for a small cost from your local hardware store. Easy and looks good. (Edit. IIRC they’re M6.)

Edit. I’d be interested to know how you got such a good deal ... any others like that?

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your replies and appreciate it.
I think the washers had a ridge to sit slightly in the hole as there is no thread on the tuning peg so there is no nut that fastens down on it so will follow the advice of contacting Kala customer service.
To be honest the deals I get are from Gumtree and I tend to upgrade ukes by buying on Gumtree and selling my old one I am uprading on ebay so have been lucky enough tp upgrade for minimal cost.
Here are some examples - upgraded soprano uke from my first Uke which was Makala MK-s to Antonio Carvola (APC) SS Soprano by selling my Makala on ebay for £26 and bought the APC one from gum tree for £35... these sell for £129 at Duke of Uke in london.
M

Well ... to follow up I have found some washers in my toolbox which fit and just found on another post on here that these bushings are purely cosmetic as the holes may not be drilled smooth which I found on my uke so will apply them later with a small dab of glue to hold them in place to prevent rattling.
Will be giving a quick clean of the fretboard and will be restringing with Ko'olau Mahana strings as a change from Aquila which I always use on cheap ukes as is an immediate improvement.
I think other strings would be overkill but they are slightly cheaper from Aquila and seem to be nice strings as a friend recommends them after trying them on his Pono uke.

Top Bottom