NUD: Hoffmann Tenor

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I have to blame a friend for forcing me to buy this Hoffmann. A few months ago, she bought a Moonbird. After doing some research, I realized that I had to get one, too. The same thing happened with the Hoffmann. Fortunately, I found a used one at a reasonable price. Like all the other used ukes I've bought, this one looks new, and it has a pickup.

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

Congratulations. Is this your first Hoffmann? These ML series are great instruments.

Was this from Gryphon? I was thinking very seriously about this one a few weeks ago.

Jerry, I am about to sell the one I picked up. It’s a beautiful uke but I prefer a radius fingerboard and realized once again I am saving up for a custom baritone.

Those Hoffmans are beautiful, unique looking instruments. The sound samples I’ve heard are wonderful, too. Congratulations.

Is that spruce and Koa? Very nice. I love the build and the “pinned” nut is awesome. No need to ever cut a nut slot when trying different thickness strings. I wonder why this hasn’t been adapted by other builders or perhaps Hoffman has a patent on the pinned nut. Anyways. Congratulations. Beautiful ukulele!

If this is the one from Gryphon, I played it and quite liked it!! Congratulations!!! What’s your total now? Did you touch 100 in all?

Is that spruce and Koa? Very nice. I love the build and the “pinned” nut is awesome. No need to ever cut a nut slot when trying different thickness strings. I wonder why this hasn’t been adapted by other builders or perhaps Hoffman has a patent on the pinned nut. Anyways. Congratulations. Beautiful ukulele!

Not koa. Spruce and maple.

As for those pins, I think the danger of poking an eye out keeps other makers from using them. :D

Last edited:
Gorgeous! Always admired those ukuleles. Really like their unusual shape. That should assuage your desire for different-looking ukes—for a while.

really nice looking! Do you spend your days trolling online for buys lol? You pick up some great stuff.
On your "family" list on another thread, I really like what looks to be a Walnut Bonanza third row from bottom far right. Which model? Can't quite tell
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOMNgQgJOt2NWYfFzxH-W6pgU-SVLAPSda49x6e3NHaxyK8CiJRs4n4HykZIamrxA/photo/AF1QipPak54ATuTAmltiLJILb_q57Tdet8IWRTj55oqq?key=TENMY2FOMkxjUHNLLUh0VmFOR3FHbU5OSE4xVnV3

I used to search sites, but not that much. Mainly, I would see a nice uke here or in a review, or maybe at a weekly jam, and I would start reading about that. In some cases, I would buy one. Now, I am through buying - for quite a while.

The Bonanza is an Oreo. As soon as I saw the picture in Baz's review, I checked the price, hoping it wasn't too high. Then I read the review, and Baz loved it.

Jerry thank you for sharing. I enjoy seeing your assortment of ukes. What fun. What beauties. :)

I should hope so! You've have more NUDs than the Louvre!

But that Hoffman looks super-cool and probably sounds like a dream.

Of course, if you do stop posting NUDs, what will the rest of us do for vicarious pleasure?

It's not just the posting I'll miss. It's the delivery trucks. :(

Very nice, Jerry!
What is a pinned bridge?

And, how do you keep your wife?

Top Bottom