NUD: Ohana Taropatch

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I didn't really know what a taropatch was until I read a recent post here. It's an 8-string concert uke. I have some 8-string tenors, so I thought I needed a concert size. This wasn't easy to find. Ohana makes them in mahogany and spruce, and I wanted the spruce. There were none available new, and I didn't want to wait.

I was able to find one on Gryphon Strings. It came from Hix Brothers Music in Illinois, and it was listed as used because it was hanging up as a display. This one is strung with a low-G, with the other strings being in the same octave. It has an extremely matte finish, which I like. The sound is wonderful. If you don't have an 8-string uke, get one!

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

Cool!

I'm eager to see the mahogany model from Ohana.

I am kicking myself for not knowing about these a few years ago, when they were less expensive than I expect they will be this time around.

June

Cool!

I'm eager to see the mahogany model from Ohana.

I am kicking myself for not knowing about these a few years ago, when they were less expensive than I expect they will be this time around.

June

Mim will have them next month for about $289.

I had a mahogany one, I got from Mim, it was great, I just play my Kanile'a more, so sold it about a year ago. I'm not one to have a room full of ukuleles, although I've bought and sold probably around 30. I just like to have a nice variety. Played my old Martin at an open mic' last night and it gets the best response of anything. People just can't believe the sound coming out of "that little thing".

Jerry oh jerry.. I was trying to talk myself out of a custom taropatch and now a NUD on taropatch!

Congrats on the lucky find!

Oh my. Thanks for this info, Jerry.

I hope you're right about that price. Maybe I should see if I can pre-order.

Have fun w/your new ukes.

The prices on Ohana's website tend to be quite a bit higher than what most retailers are asking. It must be a marketing tactic to make you think you're getting a deal. Either that or to give some little shop in the middle of nowhere the opportunity for more profit (they probably need it)!

I was always hoping people check Ohana's prices when I was selling one. ;)

The prices on Ohana's website tend to be quite a bit higher than what most retailers are asking. It must be a marketing tactic to make you think you're getting a deal. Either that or to give some little shop in the middle of nowhere the opportunity for more profit (they probably need it)!

I was always hoping people check Ohana's prices when I was selling one. ;)

That seems to be the way with many products. There's the List Price and the Street Price - which seems to be $289 for the Taropatch.

What does the action feel like? Is it stiffer because you have to press down pairs of strings? Is it more difficult to barre?

I bet you'd get a real full and interesting sound if you were to tune the paired strings in octaves.

What does the action feel like? Is it stiffer because you have to press down pairs of strings? Is it more difficult to barre?

I bet you'd get a real full and interesting sound if you were to tune the paired strings in octaves.

The action seems fine to me. I haven't measured it, but it's not a problem. I can't imagine anyone having a problem pushing down on two strings instead of one. The sound is amazing. I made a mistake in my original description. The G and C strings are an octave apart. E and A are the same octave. It's no more difficult to barre.

Now you have me thinking about another uke I didn't know I wanted. I've abandoned my cocobolo dreams. Too much $$ and too much uncertainty with the certain color change. I've been looking at a Bonanza Oreo for the better part of a year but that Homestead line may actually get me to pull the trigger. Ironically, I'm thinking about a cherry wood model where I'd want the color to change.

Twice I didn't get the Pono Taropatch, yikes. Now I can try the anatomically difficult and kick myself.

Jerry please post a video :)

I really love 8 string ukuleles. I have a Tenor Ohana 8 String and enjoy it's voice. The Ohana uses softer strings.

It would be fab if you posted a video of you playing your new taropatch uke, Jerry!

Congrats, Jerry. I love the sound of an 8 string.

Mike, I'm so sorry you gave up on cocobolo. They're worth every single penny. Maybe you'll come back to it later.....
I can't think of a darn thing I'd trade mine for.
Of course, mine's a one-off.

Mike, I'm so sorry you gave up on cocobolo. They're worth every single penny. Maybe you'll come back to it later.....
I can't think of a darn thing I'd trade mine for.
Of course, mine's a one-off.

I thoroughly enjoyed the thrill and the fantasy for a while. I was discussing the possibility of a cocobolo with another member and he put a perfect perspective on it for me. I already have great sounding ukes and I already have beautiful ukes so the main reason for buying a cocobolo would be for that beautiful red color. I already have brown ukes so if there's a chance that the cocobolo will change to brown (which the one cocobolo I laid hands on did) then I can't go through with the buy. I'm OK with that.

Here's another fun thought. There's a strong chance that I might go for a cherry Bonanza Homestead (which ironically, I would want the color to change). If the price point of the taropatch was $289 as Jerry noted, I could buy the taropatch and the Homestead for about the same price or less than what the cocobolo would cost! For me, that's just craziness and I'd have a hard time justifying it but it will be fun to think about for a while.

If the price point of the taropatch was $289 as Jerry noted, I could buy the taropatch and the Homestead for about the same price or less than what the cocobolo would cost!

Congratulations! You're turning into a true ukulele buyer. There's always a way to rationalize a purchase. :shaka:

Top Bottom