Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Is a pick-up the only solution?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Queanbeyan, NSW Australia.
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Personally I'm a microphone user and I fully intend to stay that way.
    Trying to match your volume to a band of guitars, basses and cajon that are plugged in though is really pushing the envelope. There is another option though. You NEED a louder instrument and the solution is a Banjo ukulele with a resonator.

    Seriously LOUD instruments which you can just use with a microphone without needing to get too close to the mic. Much of the audience will hear you off the stage without any amplification so its not an issue if you move or dance around a little.
    Last edited by anthonyg; 11-09-2019 at 01:32 PM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,031

    Default

    I was a cheapskate and went to eBay. Found a Makala concert with a passive pickup for about $70. Had to swap the cheap geared tuners for a better set, but otherwise have been thrilled. You might consider something like this because it’s less expensive than adding a pickup to your uke. And if it doesn’t work, you’re not out much money.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>


    Raleigh Uke Jam:

    My YouTube page

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pickering, ON, Canada
    Posts
    5,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    Personally I'm a microphone user and I fully intend to stay that way.
    Trying to match your volume to a band of guitars, basses and cajon that are plugged in though is really pushing the envelope. There is another option though. You NEED a louder instrument and the solution is a Banjo ukulele with a resonator.

    Seriously LOUD instruments which you can just use with a microphone without needing to get too close to the mic. Much of the audience will hear you off the stage without any amplification so its not an issue if you move or dance around a little.
    Anthony speaks the truth about banjo-uke volume. My playing partner (I am in a duo among other bands) has a banjo-uke and when he uses it I am plugged in and he is pure acoustic. He has fingernails too which really adds to the volume.

    I know this doesn’t solve your “Koaloha” issue. If you are against installing a pick up because you don want to have a hole drilled you have two choices. The iRig sound hole mic or Kremona UK-1 pick up. This is a piece of wood with a piezo inside that slides between your strings and the bridge. Basically your strings hold it against the bridge and it acts like any other piezo pick up. A wire runs off of it that you then plug into the amp/Pa/board etc.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 11-09-2019 at 02:33 PM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Anthony speaks the truth about banjo-uke volume. My playing partner (I am in a duo among other bands) has a banjo-uke and when he uses it I am plugged in and he is pure acoustic. He has fingernails too which really adds to the volume.

    I know this doesn’t solve your “Koaloha” issue. If you are against installing a pick up because you don want to have a hole drilled you have two choices. The iRig sound hole mic or Kremona UK-1 pick up. This is a piece of wood with a piezo inside that slides between your strings and the bridge. Basically your strings hold it against the bridge and it acts like any other piezo pick up. A wire runs off of it that you then plug into the amp/Pa/board etc.
    It's not so much that I'm against installing a pick-up on the Koaloha, it's that I'm a long way away from anyone I would trust to do it since moving house.

    But I've found a solution for now; I will restring my dedicated low-g uke which came with a pick-up and play that with the band*. I'll see if I know anyone with a iRig to try it out, or wait for one on ebay. The pick-up I would choose, plus installation, costs about £200 so by the time I've got that together I can reasonably hope to have found a reliable luthier or I'll be happy with the iRig and get that instead.

    Thanks everyone for taking the time, I really appreciate it.

    *If anyone is tearing their hair wondering why I didn't just use the low-g uke with a pick-up instead of faffing around; I want a dedicated low-g uke, and this one always was low-g, I think it sounds best as low-g, but in the band I don't think there's much point me being there if I'm not playing high-g because I'll just blend too much into the general racket. The dedicated high-g, the Koaloha, I'll check whether it will take a low g string. It's all first world problems isn't it in the end.
    Last edited by AnnaKarpik; 11-10-2019 at 12:19 AM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Cornwall, UK
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    Personally I'm a microphone user and I fully intend to stay that way.
    Trying to match your volume to a band of guitars, basses and cajon that are plugged in though is really pushing the envelope. There is another option though. You NEED a louder instrument and the solution is a Banjo ukulele with a resonator.

    Seriously LOUD instruments which you can just use with a microphone without needing to get too close to the mic. Much of the audience will hear you off the stage without any amplification so its not an issue if you move or dance around a little.
    This is music to my ears - I need another instrument! I'm off to get browsing...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Upper Hale, Surrey/Hants border, UK.
    Posts
    6,096

    Default

    Sounds like you need to be looking for a RISA steel string electric, to play with your band, of course, no other possible reason to be looking at one......
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Queanbeyan, NSW Australia.
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaKarpik View Post
    This is music to my ears - I need another instrument! I'm off to get browsing...
    Honestly. In a band full of guitars getting a different sound with a banjo ukulele is probably a good idea.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •