Uke Logic strings...excellent experience

Doc_J

Reaction score
Just received a used Kanile’a baritone from HMS. It came with Ko’olau wound strings for 3 and 4 strings, and Uke Logic Hard Tension FC strings for 1 and 2 strings (linear DGBE). I’m amazed at the sound. Not sure how much of great sound is due to the strings and how much to the uke. But in any case I really like the strings, especially the Uke Logic Hard Tension FC strings. Hope HMS puts these strings together as single baritone set.

I’ve never heard of Uke Logic Hard Tension FC strings before so I did a search and found them on Etsy. Looks like a recent venture from Joel at HMS. I’ll definitely be getting some more of these Uke Logic strings.

Anyone else try Uke Logic Strings ?

Just received a used Kanile’a baritone from HMS. It came with Ko’olau wound strings for 3 and 4 strings, and Uke Logic Hard Tension FC strings for 1 and 2 strings (linear DGBE). I’m amazed at the sound. Not sure how much of great sound is due to the strings and how much to the uke. But in any case I really like the strings, especially the Uke Logic Hard Tension FC strings. Hope HMS puts these strings together as single baritone set.

I’ve never heard of Uke Logic Hard Tension FC strings before so I did a search and found them on Etsy. Looks like a recent venture from Joel at HMS. I’ll definitely be getting some more of these Uke Logic strings.

Thanks for that Hodge. I heard about them on HMS podcast with Steve Grimes and have been itching to try them. I will search Etsy and see what is available. I am surprised Andrew does have them listed on HMS, Aaron Cromwell really loves them. Says they are the only non-wound low G he has every heard that he likes

and it looks like they come in watermelon color...at least that's what I assume by "sandia." I wonder how they would look against a dark fret board?

Thanks Hodge. I’ve been waiting for these to show up on HMS. Just ordered the pink UkeLogic strings!

I *think* the recent tenor I bought from HMS has them (w/ a Thomastik low-G). Ditto on "Not sure how much of great sound is due to the strings and how much to the uke. "

Have not played enough (long story)/do not have enough depth of experience to meaningfully comment, other than to say I like them!
Lighter/feels better to me than D’Addario Pro-Arté Fluorocarbon, slightly heavier/feels as good to me as Arimoto/DHo PhD's.

I had a hopeful feeling when I clicked on this thread that these were going to be about the "Joel" strings...

Thanks for letting us know about availability on Etsy (which owns Reverb?)

Not as noticeably pink than a fluorocarbon line (Hi Seas Quattro) I put on a little Ohana...

and it looks like they come in watermelon color...at least that's what I assume by "sandia." I wonder how they would look against a dark fret board?

Last edited:
Aren't the Uke Logic strings the ones that Joel has developed? They mentioned them in one of their podcasts and said he had been working on them for two years to get just the sound he wanted from them. They are fluorocarbons.

He was asking several players to try them out and give him feedback.

If I remember correctly, Joel was getting ready to release them for sale by the end of this year. (But I may be wrong about the release timeline.)

Last edited:
I got a set of UkeLogic Linear Soft's on Thursday from Etsy, but they didn't work out for me. I was primarily interested in whether or not the Unwound LowG could actually work as a replacement to buying individual Wound LowG's (Fremont Soloist, TI CF30) after it was talked up on the HMS podcast. The gauge of the Unwound LowG in the Hard set was to thick for the slot on my Blackbird Farallon so I went with the Soft hoping they wouldn't be that soft. I know from other string sets that I don't like super high tension, but there is no 'average' or 'medium' UkeLogic set. The results weren't surprising, but were a little disappointing. The strings were to floppy and didn't sound good to me. I should have gotten the Hard Tension set, but at least now I know to avoid anything labeled "soft tension" in the future. I'm sticking with Fremont Blacklines for now.

EDIT: I did later get a set of Uke Logic Hard Tension with the Smooth Wound Low G (which I think is just a Fremont Soloist). I like these a lot better.

Last edited:
I went to Etsy.ca, seeing as I am Canadian. One non-wound low G single string, $7.39 +$13.99 shipping. Not gonna fork out over $21.00 for a single non-wound Low G string. A full set with low G is $20.79 + $13.99 shipping, these are CDN prices to Canada. I love Fremont Soloist wound low G and at $4.00 I will continue to use them. If HMS does carry full sets at a reasonable price I would be happy to try them out.

Last edited:
Thank for posting the etsy link.. was wondering how and when these strings will be available!

Aren't the Uke Logic strings the ones that Joel has developed? They mentioned them in one of their podcasts and said he had been working on them for two years to get just the sound he wanted from them. They are fluorocarbons.

He was asking several players to try them out and give him feedback.

If I remember correctly, Joel was getting ready to release them for sale by the end of this year. (But I may be wrong about the release timeline.)

The Etsy page selling these strings has a photo of Joel from HMS and says he is the Etsy shop owner.

get ahold of Joel or Andrew...they(HMS) are selling the strings but not sure if it will make it to the website...they are Joel's strings that he has been working on for awhile now....

btw Joel has seen every set of strings available on the market so he has some good experience and knowledge on string sets

Last edited:
There's a decent chance you both aren't missing out as the UKE LOGIC Super-Carbon Low G has a published width of 0.042in... over 1mm.
Perspective:
Fremont Blackline non-wound low G is 0.910 mm 0.036 in (feels too mushy/soift to me; I've only tried one on a soprano)
D’Addario Pro-Arté Fluorocarbon's low G 1.05mm 0.041 in (a bit thick but not too bad; makes me appreciate wound Low Gs).

For a moment, I thought I was a bit idiotic for requesting a Thomastik wound lowG on my last HMS order. After looking, now I'm glad I did. I can guarantee Aaron on the Grimes/HMS podcast plays way, WAY harder than me.

Exchange rate has been a bummer for Canadians for a while. Shipping, almost always... Trade you for Justin or almost any semi-functioning adult...

I went to Etsy.ca, seeing as I am Canadian. One non-wound low G single string, $7.39 +$13.99 shipping. Not gonna fork out over $21.00 for a single non-wound Low G string. A full set with low G is $20.79 + $13.99 shipping, these are CDN prices to Canada. I love Fremont Soloist wound low G and at $4.00 I will continue to use them. If HMS does carry full sets at a reasonable price I would be happy to try them out.

I got a set of UkeLogic Linear Soft's on Thursday from Etsy, but they didn't work out for me. I was primarily interested in whether or not the Unwound LowG could actually work as a replacement to buying individual Wound LowG's (Fremont Soloist, TI CF30) after it was talked up on the HMS podcast. The gauge of the Unwound LowG in the Hard set was to thick for the slot on my Blackbird Farallon so I went with the Soft hoping they wouldn't be that soft. I know from other string sets that I don't like super high tension, but there is no 'average' or 'medium' UkeLogic set. The results weren't surprising, but were a little disappointing. The strings were to floppy and didn't sound good to me. I should have gotten the Hard Tension set, but at least now I know to avoid anything labeled "soft tension" in the future. I'm sticking with Fremont Blacklines for now.

~~~~~~

Uke Logic ($11/12.75; $4.50/$5.50) are a sorta on par w/ Romeros ($12/set, $3/single LowG) which were the highest priced "common" strings I know of.

These strings are quite expensive compared to other brands? :D I wonder if they are worth the extra money? :D

Update: Adding a short sound sample :
https://app.box.com/s/fkczu5sr2eywdcbv0uuxbhfqb1cvx96e

I tuned a half-step lower than normal to C#-F#A#-D#. These strings sound pretty good to me.

Update: Adding a short sound sample :
https://app.box.com/s/fkczu5sr2eywdcbv0uuxbhfqb1cvx96e

I tuned a half-step lower than normal to C#-F#A#-D#. These strings sound pretty good to me.

Excellent sound sample and playing as always Hodge. Interesting that you would tune down a half step, many tune a baritone up a half or whole step. It certainly sounds good in that tuning. Did you do this for tone or tension.

Excellent sound sample and playing as always Hodge. Interesting that you would tune down a half step, many tune a baritone up a half or whole step. It certainly sounds good in that tuning. Did you do this for tone or tension.

Hi Dave. It’s just a bad habit. When I tune up a uke I usually make a first stop a half step lower than normal string tuning just see how it sounds and feels. Strings don’t feel loose or sloppy, there’s no buzz, and there’s easy fretting. I liked the lower full rich tone a lot on this one. So, in the words of Bob Ross, “it’s a happy accident.”

I’ll crank it up to try regular baritone tuning before too long. But, I eventually might leave this tuned lower as I can’t get a good lower tension on every baritone/string combo I have.

I've been following this thread, since I'm always on the hunt for strings that will suit my Kanilea super soprano. I talked with Craig Chee last week, as he's a Kanilea artist, and he recommended pHd strings. I noticed today, that HMS has the Uke Logic High Tension strings on this awesome looking & sounding new Kanilea custom concert.
https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop...ar-top-koa-concert-custom-c-serial-21400.html

Oooh! Thanks a bunch for pointing that out! As I am on the hunt for strings for my Kanile'a too... & was a bit apprehensive about losing the Kanile'a sound, whatever that is... How convenient, as my UkeLogic order has been marked shipped (ok, so it's a federal holiday)...

I've been following this thread, since I'm always on the hunt for strings that will suit my Kanilea super soprano. I talked with Craig Chee last week, as he's a Kanilea artist, and he recommended pHd strings. I noticed today, that HMS has the Uke Logic High Tension strings on this awesome looking & sounding new Kanilea custom concert.
https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop...ar-top-koa-concert-custom-c-serial-21400.html

edit to add: interesting he'd mention PhDs (which to some might be slightly comfier than UkeLogic high tensions - what I *think* I have on a recent uke purchase)... when he's sponsored by GHS strings... Hopefully the uke industry is a bit more laid back than other industries' sponsorship terms (lots of non-competes, can't use this or that).

Top Bottom