Uke Logic strings...excellent experience

Ukelogic strings are now on the HMS site, not a fan of hard tension though, and one set for soprano through tenor?

Curious to hear more opinions on these. I put some on my Etsy wish list so can't get any until at least Christmas. :D

Here's a new video that shows the sound of Uke Logic strings on 17" and 18" tenors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prACYDtxpwc

The strings come up at about 51:00

I'm very favorably impressed. These have a very pleasing sound and are well matched, meaning that all are heard evenly without one dominating or getting lost.

I had a chance to visit with Joel last week when I was in Hawaii. He's done a lot of research and investment of time, and it shows in the result.

Joel sent me some to try out. He had recipes for a normal tension and high tension set with both wound/unwound variants. I imagine he's collecting feedback and will be adding more sets as he goes. With all the gauges he sent there was lots of room for customization.

I've been using Worth for over a decade because I haven't really cared to look for anything else. Joel is one of few people who could make me care.

These have a more meaty sound than Worth and are really inspiring to play. I've had them on my Moore Bettah for a month-ish. Been super impressed so far.

As he perfects his line I think Joel will be producing some of the finest uke strings available anywhere. He's not set on anything, has as small an ego as a dude can have, and really just wants to create the best product possible.

Give them a try!

Joel sent me some to try out. He had recipes for a normal tension and high tension set with both wound/unwound variants. I imagine he's collecting feedback and will be adding more sets as he goes. With all the gauges he sent there was lots of room for customization.

I've been using Worth for over a decade because I haven't really cared to look for anything else. Joel is one of few people who could make me care.

These have a more meaty sound than Worth and are really inspiring to play. I've had them on my Moore Bettah for a month-ish. Been super impressed so far.

As he perfects his line I think Joel will be producing some of the finest uke strings available anywhere. He's not set on anything, has as small an ego as a dude can have, and really just wants to create the best product possible.

Give them a try!

Hey Brad, what tension set are you testing out, and how would you say what you’re testing compares to the Worths from a tension perspective? My only experience with the Worths is with Worth Browns fwiw.

Thanks for the heads up. I heard about these on a couple of the HMS podcasts, but apparently hadn't been paying enough attention to notice when they popped up on the HMS site.

I just ordered a set of the Sandia Pink Hard Tension (High G), and threw in a t-shirt so I didn't get annoyed that shipping was costing more than what I was having shipped.

Thanks Joel for your dedication at bringing these to the uke world. I look forward to trying them out.

Hey Brad, what tension set are you testing out, and how would you say what you’re testing compares to the Worths from a tension perspective? My only experience with the Worths is with Worth Browns fwiw.

I was trying out the heavy tension. But I ended up frankensteining it a bit with the low-tension C and switching to my standard Savarez KF95 low-G. This configuration is very similar to the Worth heavy clears (except for the low-G). I don't know if Joel has access to a Goldilocks low-G gauge with the UkeLogic material, but the Savarez is a decent tonal fit. They'd be heavier than the Worth browns.

I made a video demoing the C string switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjE8gmXdlYE.

I'd be pretty interested to try a set on my baritone and I'd be okay to pay the price, even converted to Canadian dollars. But the the lowest price shipping option to Canada from HMS is just over $10, USPS. I just can't pay that amount of shipping for strings, especially when I know they could stuff them in an envelope and send them from Hawaii for around $1.40 postage. Not sure what kind of tracking/insurance options they're tacking on, but it's overkill for strings.

I'd be pretty interested to try a set on my baritone and I'd be okay to pay the price, even converted to Canadian dollars. But the the lowest price shipping option to Canada from HMS is just over $10, USPS. I just can't pay that amount of shipping for strings, especially when I know they could stuff them in an envelope and send them from Hawaii for around $1.40 postage. Not sure what kind of tracking/insurance options they're tacking on, but it's overkill for strings.
he was also selling on Etsy and shipping was free over 35$ Or $50 I think
https://etsy.me/37Q5xkZ

he was also selling on Etsy and shipping was free over 35$ Or $50 I think
https://etsy.me/37Q5xkZ

It’s not free to Canada. That’s always the problem living someplace other then the USA.

But if I buy a ukulele from HMS and the strings at the same time the shipping is basically free. Spend $1000 to same $10.00 shipping on strings.......there’s some good math for ya :p

Last edited:
It’s not free to Canada. That’s always the problem living someplace other then the USA.

But if I buy a ukulele from HMS and the strings at the same time the shipping is basically free. Spend $1000 to same $10.00 shipping on strings.......there’s some good math for ya :p

Hey, now you're thinking!

Yeah, but they ship them DHL. DHL are masters at exploring every possible tax and duty option on your ukulele, never seen anything like it. I think the only way to nip this in the bud is to fly to Hawaii and take delivery of strings AND UKULELE there! Problem solved. Wait, HOW much did I pay for those strings? :p

Hey, now you're thinking!

Yeah, but they ship them DHL. DHL are masters at exploring every possible tax and duty option on your ukulele, never seen anything like it. I think the only way to nip this in the bud is to fly to Hawaii and take delivery of strings AND UKULELE there! Problem solved. Wait, HOW much did I pay for those strings? :p

I like the trip to Hawaii idea. Come home with a new ukulele and all the strings that will fit in your suitcase.

I think I saw that the calculator is not working right for strings and that they credit back the difference. Might be worth an email to them.

I was trying out the heavy tension. But I ended up frankensteining it a bit with the low-tension C and switching to my standard Savarez KF95 low-G. This configuration is very similar to the Worth heavy clears (except for the low-G). I don't know if Joel has access to a Goldilocks low-G gauge with the UkeLogic material, but the Savarez is a decent tonal fit. They'd be heavier than the Worth browns.

I made a video demoing the C string switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjE8gmXdlYE.

Thanks for the insight and the video, Brad. Very helpful.

I know this is tricky to answer, but I'll ask it: can someone describe how "hard" the hard tension strings are from Uke Logic? Maybe compare to other strings from other sources? I'd love to hear about them compared to Romero strings, or Oasis, for example. Thanks.

I know this is tricky to answer, but I'll ask it: can someone describe how "hard" the hard tension strings are from Uke Logic? Maybe compare to other strings from other sources? I'd love to hear about them compared to Romero strings, or Oasis, for example. Thanks.

The A and E are similar to Worth CH. The C and low-G are significantly heavier (see my video above).

Top Bottom