Season 404 - Ten Years Up Over

this, a song from one of our favourite Australian singer-songwriters -
Grand Salvo (Paddy Mann) - from his 'Death' LP (2008).
live recording on baritone ukulele, featuring joo on harmonies
and her gorgeous watercolour paintings made especially for the song and film.
we hope some of you might take the time to listen to this man's beautiful music.

Hello again, Ryan! Apart from affording me the opportunity to make an absolute idiot of myself, this week has also introduced me to several Aussie Indie bands, which is a definite bonus. This offering comes from a band called The Lucksmiths, who originated in Melbourne. Drawn, as I seem to be, to songs about unsatisfactory partings at railway stations, this song is set at Macaulay Station in North Melbourne; not, apparently, the most salubrious setting - apart from anything else, it has the disadvantage of being located under an overpass. The photos are all of said station and the engine sounds are those of the trains shown in the photos ... I DO like to get things right!

I couldn't figure out how to do the googily cockeyed Colin Hay effect - I don't seem to have a filter for that.

Somebody That I Used to Know (2011) by Gotye, who moved to Australia when he was 2 years old. Arrhythmic instrumental version.

Right, I have been absolutely rubbish the last couple days. You guys, on the other hand, have not. Loving what you're all bringing!

an original song for the season.
title track from my new rekkid
released Nov 6th on Half A Cow Records.
soprano ukulele

A SHORT HISTORY OF EVERYTHING

When we were 7 I knew that we'd be
not friends just for this life but eternity.
Everything that we've broken has all been mended.
All the words we've misspoken have all been corrected.

Now I'm not one to shy away from the staring
of a couple debating their misplaced affection;
while hand-bag and man-bag point at 10 paces,
the transistor plays Little Feat and Small Faces.

All the songs we used to sing
sound like a short history of everything
blowing down this road we walk together.
When we were 7 I knew that we'd be friends forever.

The disc-jockey bleats like a sheep in a paddock
and the butterfly's gone before we can grab it.
And once we were 7 we're now 73

and I still remember the lines
to 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' and 'Old Lang Syne'.
When we were 7 I knew that we'd be
not friends just for this life but eternity.

a final one from me Ryan.
this, a song by Sneeze from their self-titled LP (1993).
upbringing. shmuckbringing.
thanks for a fun week mate.
PS: PLAY IT LOUD!!!

Last edited:
The week is almost over and no Kylie Minogue?

Well, I better do something about that!

(This was pretty fun to do)

Ross Ryan was a folk / rock singer songwriter from the '70's.A couple of good albums and some hit singles...in Oz.Not sure anywhere else.This was my favourite. I really like the unexplained strangeness of the lyrics.

Okay, so for those who here at week's end were preparing to lament that there was nothing from the Oz OG, the ONJ - I've handled that.

Well you guys have absolutely smashed it today! Great stuff! What can the mate shift bring?

I wanted to try and do one by Slim Dusty this week, so I listened to this one once, found a chord sheet, and banged it out.

This is a song I really liked from a couple of years ago by the band Saskwatch. Living in the Northern Hemisphere, I get a kick out of a song called "December Nights" that invokes the coming of summer instead of winter. By the way, I got an album this year by an Australian band called Psychedelic p*** Crumpets.

Top Bottom