Season 404 - Ten Years Up Over

RAB11

Reaction score
error - season not found

Hello! Welcome, to season 404!

This season is a bit of a personal one for me. Tomorrow (10th November) marks 10 years since I hopped on an A380 from Sydney to return to the country of my birth having spent the previous 13 years of my childhood overseas.

I'd finished my last school exams the week before, my dad and brother had already made the trip which left my mum and I to pack up the house while I was trying to study.

And so an edgy 17 year old looked forward to returning "home" with no real notion of what home was. I've done a hell of a lot in those 10 years, a lot of it documented right here, but I still have a soft spot for Sydney and would love to show my family around where I grew up one day.

So the task this week is simple. Play me a song by an Australian band or artist. If you've been working up some Nick Cave for John's season but haven't posted it yet, please chuck it on here as well.

Prompts for those who like to do originals:

If you're an Aussie you've got a free pass this week. You beaut.
If you're not Aussie, please bring write me a song either about or mentioning Australia
Otherwise write a song about returning home.

"Prizes" this week are CD copies of my EP I'm putting together should you want one. Hoping to get round to finishing that this week, only got a song or two left to record then a bit of tinkering with the mix I think.

Rules are normal but if you're new:

Season starts midnight Hawaii time. Finishes midnight Sunday 17th Hawaii time
I like one song per day because I feel it gives everyone room to breathe but I'm not gonna get mad if you end up giving me two on the odd day
Multi tracking, effects, steel strings, loose definitions of ukes (BEV) all good as long as its within the spirit of what we're trying to do here. If in doubt, do it and I'll be glad to listen to it.
Videos recorded for the purpose of this season only unless its Nick Cave you haven't yet posted on Season 403

Most importantly, HAVE FUN

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Whacko the diddle oh.They’ll be searching for songs from here to Woop Woop!

Bonza idea, mate!!! (And I bet you chose 404 just so you could do that "error" joke .... very funny!)

These three guys were in different but pretty influential rock bands and got together for side project of a more acoustic nature.Some great writing and a couple of albums came out of it.Full of wry aussie humour.
Tex Perkins, Don Walker and Charlie Owens.
Good on ya Ryan!

Classic Australian song with lots of Australian slang
swagman - a man who travelled the country looking for work. The swagman's "swag" was a bed roll that bundled his belongings.
billabong - an oxbow lake (a cut-off river bend) found alongside a meandering river
coolibah tree - a kind of eucalyptus tree which grows near billabongs
jumbuck - a sheep
billy - a can for boiling water in, usually 1–1.5 litres (2–3 pints)
tucker bag - a bag for carrying food
troopers - a policemen
squatter - Australian squatters started as early farmers who raised livestock on land which they did not have the legal title to use; in many cases they later gained legal use of the land even though they did not have full possession, and became wealthy thanks to these large land holdings. The squatter's claim to the land may be as unfounded as is the swagman's claim to the jumbuck.

Not sure if I'll find time this week either, but just out of interest, how much swearing will you allow? The song I'm thinking of has rather a lot of foul language.

'kin oath mate it's a season about Straya. Turn the air blue.

Oh good. Now the main problem is the phrase "pointless non-cognitive murderous ****s" is a real tongue twister.

Oh good. Now the main problem is the phrase "pointless non-cognitive murderous ****s" is a real tongue twister.

Wow, the forum put those asterisks in automatically. It's like I'm in The Good Place or something.

G'day, Cobbers! I never heard this song before this morning, Ryan, and I do not, of course, know any Australians who drink! It does seem sort of fitting for the week, though. Apologies for the appalling attempt at an Aussie accent - for which I have previously been admonished; but, hey ... it IS Straya week!!! (On a serious note, I hope all the Aussie Seasonistas are keeping safe ... we've seen some awful footage of the forest fires over the last couple of days.)

Last edited:
I have already put on the Seasons the best song I will probably ever write about Australia - but as it dates back to 2012 - many of you may not have heard it. So here is a link to "The Far Side of the World" - my lament for an old girlfriend who left me to return home.

I will try and see what I come up with this week and if I get inspired will post a new contribution.

Top Bottom