Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 404 - Ten Years Up Over

A song issued by the travel board of Australia.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Note to self: don't try and do minor tweaks to a project you've been working on for two months just before you're about to go to bed! Recording software is going screwy and seems to have wiped some stuff which is frustrating.

You guys have brought a few beauties over the last 24 hours though! Bit of a slow start to the week overall though, would love to see some more!
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

"I can't rock around the tree unless you rock around with me"

an original instrumental for the season
    baritone ukuleles

Thanks for hosting Ryan, and great theme!

Hope this song works within the parameters. It's a Talking Heads song about home being where the heart is! I broke out the uke bass and I'm hoping it will lead me to using it more. Playing acoustic and electric tenor ukes as well ~

Quote Originally Posted by RAB11 View Post
    steel strings, loose definitions of ukes (BEV)
    loose definition of a u-bass? i've been having loads of fun recently plinking on this, what i call "pretend fretless u-bass", it's a cigar box instrument, 21 inch u-bass-y scale, however only 3 strings, and they are fat guitar strings, they give an EAD tuning but only as low as the low end of a guitar, not truly bass-low. soooooooooooooooooooooooooo it may be a stretch too far, but i thought you might like to see and hear it, i've thrown in some scattered cigar box tenor uke arpeggios to sort of keep it legal, but they are few and far between! all in all, it very well might not count, but the song is by australian singer-songwriter wendy rule...

lynda

bi di bup bup

Last edited by pabrizzer; 11-12-2019 at 09:30 PM.

A bit of Cat Empire (All night Loud live)

Last edited by wee_ginga_yin; 11-13-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Having mentioned the "Transports to Botany Bay" in my re-cycled song from a previous season that I posted earlier. I thought I would see if there was some info about them on the web that would inspire me to write a new song.

As luck would have it, after typing "Australia + Transportation" into a Google search engine, among the information offered was what seems to be a really good book on the transports.

I dived into the "look inside" section and was shocked to find that children as young as eight had been transported to Oz. That was something I don't think I had ever been aware of.

Obviously, if I ordered the book, it might not turn up in time for me to read it and be inspired before the end of the Season. So I went to Youtube to see if there were any existing documentaries on the subject.

That was where I found this excellent series of videos made by Sydney Living Museums about just this topic.

Inspired by these videos (and my own experience of boarding schools) Tom O'Brien started to take shape in my mind.

Yesterday, while Carmen was being seen to at the hospital (routine gynaecological visit) I sat in the waiting room and wrote the draft of this song. This morning I put a tune to it. Please let me know if I have plagiarised the tune from an existing traditional song, or whether it just sounds like one. (Geoff???)

Hope you like:

Last edited by Barbablanca; 11-13-2019 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Grammatical error - shock horror

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

Someday no one will march there at all...

As Trent likes to say, "I took the sopranino challenge on this one." This is a down under version of "Winter Wonderland" that I learned from a podcast about Christmas music called Tinsel Tunes. It's produced by a Kiwi, so he was able to explain all of the slang terms that I wouldn't have otherwise understood. Since we often have quite warm weather at Christmastime where I live, I was able to empathize quite a lot with this song, and had no trouble understanding "a backyard full of all your distant rellies, so we pass the can of mozzie spray around." LOL!

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

Thread Information