Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough night.

Default Rough night.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Christmas holidays but I just hate playing and singing holiday songs. Anyone else think that they are just all goofy and hard to play?
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I love playing Brittni Paiva's version of The Christmas Song, (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire).

There's a simple solution to this dilemma. Don't learn any Christmas songs in the first place.

I only know and play one Christmas song. Feliz Navidad.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    There's a simple solution to this dilemma. Don't learn any Christmas songs in the first place.

I only know and play one Christmas song. Feliz Navidad.
    If it were only that easy. It seems that there is no way for me to avoid them in the next couple of months. I will try though.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    If it were only that easy. It seems that there is no way for me to avoid them in the next couple of months. I will try though.
    Well if I have to turn down work then I turn down work and I have turned down paying gigs from people who wanted me to play Christmas parties.
    At the risk of straying into a religious discussion here I just cant play/sing Christmas carols anymore even though I did grow up singing them at home as well as when in a Youth Choir.

"Blue Christmas" is the only Xmas song I do.

John Colter

Well some of the old standards can be tedious at times, but I welcome the season as an opportunity to bring out all those holiday spoof songs. Among the ones I have brought to jams include:

Rusty Chevrolet
    It's the Most Fattening Time of the Year
    The Restroom Door Said Gentlemen
    The Twelve Pains of Christmas
    We Wish You Weren't Living With Us
    I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas
    Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

I was going to post the chord sheets to all of these, but the files are all over 20 kb and the system won't let me.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

I don’t go to ukulele groups in December because I get sick of the songs. I guess I’m a grinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Christmas holidays but I just hate playing and singing holiday songs. Anyone else think that they are just all goofy and hard to play?
    Daniel Ward just sent a "21 holiday songs from around the world" to the printers. Might be a refreshing take on Holiday songs.

Quite a diverse array of viewpoints in this thread, and I'm enjoying reading it! I really like a lot of the Christmas and Holiday tunes, but my problem is, they're only "in season" for about a month (roughly, November 25 to December 25), and I always seem to have to re-learn them every year; so by the time I get them down really well, the season is over! I feel kinda bad saying this, but it's almost like it's "too much trouble" to go through that every year. Gosh, I feel like an old crank. Oh well, maybe the answer is to say, alright, here comes the Holiday season, and accordingly I am going to learn 3 Christmas/Holiday songs really well and be prepared to incorporate them into whatever outings I may do during the season. Maybe a little will go a long way... Now, for the question that's really on my mind: Mr. Link, why did you entitle this particular thread "Rough Night"? Not trying to be smart here, just kinda wondering if I'm missing something...

Thread Information