Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough night.

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    Well some of the old standards can be tedious at times, but I welcome the season as an opportunity to bring out all those holiday spoof songs. Among the ones I have brought to jams include:

Rusty Chevrolet
    It's the Most Fattening Time of the Year
    The Restroom Door Said Gentlemen
    The Twelve Pains of Christmas
    We Wish You Weren't Living With Us
    I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas
    Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

I was going to post the chord sheets to all of these, but the files are all over 20 kb and the system won't let me.
    Is there a site where I can find these? I play "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas," but the others are unknown to me. From the titles, I think they should be interesting and worth a look.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

One way to combat the Christmas Songs blahs, I think, is to engage the audience and have them sing along. Even if you have to feed them the words.

Interspersed with performing some new, unusual or comical songs. It almost always entertains the crowd, and new and funny songs actually causes people to stop and listen. And participate.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    . Now, for the question that's really on my mind: Mr. Link, why did you entitle this particular thread "Rough Night"? Not trying to be smart here, just kinda wondering if I'm missing something...
    Because last night I was one of several musicians and groups scattered about a winter festival and I struggled with the holiday songs all evening. Because no one wanted to listen to me whine here at home I was hoping I would get a little love from my like minded friends here. That's all.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Is there a site where I can find these? I play "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas," but the others are unknown to me. From the titles, I think they should be interesting and worth a look.
    Let's see if posting a few of them this way works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    And the last two.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by besley; 11-09-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Christmas holidays but I just hate playing and singing holiday songs. Anyone else think that they are just all goofy and hard to play?
    Unsure why I keep getting duplicate posts. I refreshed the page and it reposted. Sigh.
    Last edited by AQUATOPAZ; 11-09-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Three great songs that I enjoy:
    Are You From a Dysfunctional Family (no place like home for the holidays)
    Lots and Lots and Lots of Latkas
    All I want for Christmas is Another Ukulele

I'm not Christian, but I had to sing Christmas songs in school choirs most of my life. So I'm not too enamored of them, either.

However, I've learned several holiday songs, because my partner and I always have a gig during one of the local "Victorian Strolls", and it is expected. But I've also found that when children come in to listen to us, there are very few "holiday" songs I need to do.

I always keep a copy of the US alphabet (Zee, not Zed) with me, and if a child is 5 or younger, I'll sing the alphabet song inside out and backward - that usually draws out even the shyest kid, and starts the giggle machine.

We also do a version of the God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/Good King Wenceslas (Bare Naked Ladies), Jingle Bells (which is NOT a Holiday song!), and my favorite, "Big Dead Bird", by Lou & Peter Berryman.

-Kurt
    Last edited by ksiegel; 11-10-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

My group of 50 or so plays 2 or 3 holiday shows every year and I enjoy playing all the Christmas songs for the audiences, including Hippopotamus, and even Hanukah in Santa Monica. I have a long play list on my iPhone that I only listen to the day after Thanksgiving up to the end of Xmas day.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Nope! Our group will probably be playing for three groups over the holidays.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information