Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough night.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Because last night I was one of several musicians and groups scattered about a winter festival and I struggled with the holiday songs all evening. Because no one wanted to listen to me whine here at home I was hoping I would get a little love from my like minded friends here. That's all.
    Ah, the universal problem of nobody on the home front wanting to listen to us whine! I think we can all relate!

Well these songs from Besley may get me out in December. BTW I love the holidays but certain songs drive me up a wall. The dreidel song, Rudolf the red nosed reindeer, and jingle bells in particular.

I am a Christian, I'm a pretty regular church goer, and I like Christmas, but Christmas music often times seem so contrived. I've never liked Christmas music. But I've gotten just piles of popular Christmas songs from everywhere I can grab them and it seems that the majority of them the chords do not correspond at all to the tune. That throws me off. I've sat down many times and tried to redo them with different chords, but for the life of me I can't come up with anything better. Anyway there are several that go quite well to the tune of Gilligan's Island and House of the Rising Sun. Those were my salvation. That, and later in the evening I threw in some sixties protest songs.
    Last edited by Rllink; 11-10-2019 at 05:56 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Not sung any religious songs since school days either, but now & again I'll have a burst of Jingle Bells &/or Silent Night (I just like the tune of this one), around this time of year, just so as people don't label me as grumpy.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    ...just so as people don't label me as grumpy.
    You mean they would otherwise?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Seems like if you don't join in the madness, that's the label you get given.......how could I be called grumpy! ......I'm an easy going soul.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Seems like if you don't join in the madness, that's the label you get given.......how could I be called grumpy! ......I'm an easy going soul.
    You have my sympathy. Scrooge had the same problem.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Every year I cringe when we pull out the same old songlist. Then we go to a community event and play for little Santa-crazed kids. That is when I remember what a stupendously great song "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" was when I was 5 years old.

Make eye contact with a child while you're playing and it might get you through. The light in their eyes could even make your day merry and bright

Lest I sound far more cheerful than I actually am, I'll add that we've learned to keep the setlist short and easy so we don't have to spend a lot of time practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by acmespaceship View Post
    Every year I cringe when we pull out the same old songlist. Then we go to a community event and play for little Santa-crazed kids. That is when I remember what a stupendously great song "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" was when I was 5 years old.

Make eye contact with a child while you're playing and it might get you through. The light in their eyes could even make your day merry and bright

Lest I sound far more cheerful than I actually am, I'll add that we've learned to keep the setlist short and easy so we don't have to spend a lot of time practicing.
    Holiday songs have a long tradition of people who like to hear them and who like to play them. It is not a service to anyone, much less people listening, to have people who abhor the music playing it and "trying to get through it". Your distaste and lack of enthusiasm will show through. There are people who enjoy playing holiday songs. Just leave it to them to do so. That would be service to everyone. I personally never play gigs or events, but I did ukulele caroling last year. Everyone playing was happy to do so, (we weren't a group doing a gig but just showed up at the meeting place to play Christmas songs), and everyone listening enjoyed it because we ALL wanted to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    You have my sympathy. Scrooge had the same problem.
    Scrooge was misunderstood.

Last year,one of our Uke groups was doing songs near the Holidays Season, and one of the group members pulled out "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer". In the name of whatever deity you want to choose, you would have sworn that I had just announced I had blown up an orphanage when I stated that I refused to play that insipid, asinine, revolting song! I just put my uke down, and left the circle until they finished playing it.

It wasn't an orphanage! They all had parents!

And, If I may, I'd like to be the first person this Holiday Season to wish you all a "Bah, Humbug!"

(g)
    Last edited by ksiegel; 11-10-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Thread Information