Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: Rough night.

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I really didn't mean for it to have and anti Christmas vibe, or an anti Christian vibe. It was just a hard night. Sometimes it is just a hard night. It wasn't meant to be super serious. I was expecting responses like, "been there done that," or maybe, "what are you complaining about, you made seven bucks." I mean, tis the season. I'll be doing Christmas songs for the next six weeks at least, like them or not. Sorry if it went negative, I didn't want it to.
    No apology necessary, Rllink. You are so right-- sometimes it's just a hard night; and I'm sure we've all been there and done that. I know we all respect each other's musical tastes, and religious beliefs (or non-belief), as well as political affiliations, and that's what I love about this group-- we probably represent a huge assortment of musical, religious and political preferences, but we put those aside as we share our common love for "all things ukulele".

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Woodstock NY USA
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Here’s the Bowie/Bing Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy.


  3. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I really didn't mean for it to have and anti Christmas vibe, or an anti Christian vibe. It was just a hard night. Sometimes it is just a hard night. It wasn't meant to be super serious. I was expecting responses like, "been there done that," or maybe, "what are you complaining about, you made seven bucks." I mean, tis the season. I'll be doing Christmas songs for the next six weeks at least, like them or not. Sorry if it went negative, I didn't want it to.
    That was supposed to be a little tongue-in-cheek, which obviously didn't come through! I didn't really mean that there was an anti-Christmas feeling, I just wanted to share my excitement at playing Christmas songs, not to suggest an excess of Grinchiness.

    Speaking of which, we played several Christmas tunes last night, all of which went down very well, and all of which I thoroughly enjoyed.

    I hope that those of you for whom playing is less an exciting evening twice a month, and more a job of work, don't have too rough a time over the next few weeks!

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattharrier View Post
    That was supposed to be a little tongue-in-cheek, which obviously didn't come through! I didn't really mean that there was an anti-Christmas feeling, I just wanted to share my excitement at playing Christmas songs, not to suggest an excess of Grinchiness.

    Speaking of which, we played several Christmas tunes last night, all of which went down very well, and all of which I thoroughly enjoyed.

    I hope that those of you for whom playing is less an exciting evening twice a month, and more a job of work, don't have too rough a time over the next few weeks!
    The reason I took up the ukulele was to share my music with others. It could have been a guitar, or a concertina, or a violin, I was looking for something when I found the ukulele. The day my ukulele showed up in the mail and I unboxed it I imagined myself busking on a street corner or sitting in a coffee shop playing and singing my songs. That's what I do it for. If it weren't for that I wouldn't play a musical instrument at all and I wouldn't sing songs. Most of the gigs that I do I'm paid by tips. I put the open case out in front of me and hope someone will put some money in it. I've made some pretty good money at times doing it, and I've gotten skunked before. Seven bucks is at least not getting skunked, although I probably spent four times that at the bar for food and drink with the other musicians afterwards. Sometimes it is a hard days night, sometimes it is fun and easy. Sometimes nothing comes out sounding good, others are inspired. It just depends on the night. Like everything in life there are ups and downs. One of the things that I've found along the way is people who are doing the same thing. We're not professionals by any stretch, just musicians who love to make music and who aren't afraid to share it. I consider myself a middle of the road musician, not great, but I don't embarrass myself. But there is a community of people like me and I enjoy being a part of it. So we do our thing. Lots of time the same people are playing the same festivals and the same events. We get together afterwards and regale each other with our adventures during the night. If someone had a good night they talk about that. If someone has a rough night, they talk about that. If something funny happened, we tell about it. If someone knows about a festival or an opportunity coming up they share it with the rest. We share a lot. That is what this is all about . So when I started this thread I was still stoked and it was a continuation of the conversation with my friends and fellow musicians from the night before. Don't think that I didn't have a good time. Even a rough night playing and singing is better than not being there and not doing it. So it was fine.
    Last edited by Rllink; 11-13-2019 at 08:15 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

    I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    314

    Default

    After playing one particular gig, my son wrote a blues called "Eight Dollars and a Roast Beef Sandwich." Me, I'm thrilled to get a sandwich!

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acmespaceship View Post
    After playing one particular gig, my son wrote a blues called "Eight Dollars and a Roast Beef Sandwich." Me, I'm thrilled to get a sandwich!
    Sounds like a fun song. Maybe you can play it for us and post it.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martinlover View Post
    Here’s the Bowie/Bing Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy.

    Thank you. Loved it. That is my mother's favorite Christmas song.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Sparta, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martinlover View Post
    Here’s the Bowie/Bing Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy.

    Thanks for posting that. I had not heard it before.

    Both men had very different, yet immediately identifiable singing voices. They blended perfectly in this song. Awesome!
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

    —Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martinlover View Post
    Here’s the Bowie/Bing Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy.
    I remember seeing them sing that on TV. 1977
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pickering, ON, Canada
    Posts
    5,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    The reason I took up the ukulele was to share my music with others. It could have been a guitar, or a concertina, or a violin, I was looking for something when I found the ukulele. The day my ukulele showed up in the mail and I unboxed it I imagined myself busking on a street corner or sitting in a coffee shop playing and singing my songs. That's what I do it for. If it weren't for that I wouldn't play a musical instrument at all and I wouldn't sing songs. Most of the gigs that I do I'm paid by tips. I put the open case out in front of me and hope someone will put some money in it. I've made some pretty good money at times doing it, and I've gotten skunked before. Seven bucks is at least not getting skunked, although I probably spent four times that at the bar for food and drink with the other musicians afterwards. Sometimes it is a hard days night, sometimes it is fun and easy. Sometimes nothing comes out sounding good, others are inspired. It just depends on the night. Like everything in life there are ups and downs. One of the things that I've found along the way is people who are doing the same thing. We're not professionals by any stretch, just musicians who love to make music and who aren't afraid to share it. I consider myself a middle of the road musician, not great, but I don't embarrass myself. But there is a community of people like me and I enjoy being a part of it. So we do our thing. Lots of time the same people are playing the same festivals and the same events. We get together afterwards and regale each other with our adventures during the night. If someone had a good night they talk about that. If someone has a rough night, they talk about that. If something funny happened, we tell about it. If someone knows about a festival or an opportunity coming up they share it with the rest. We share a lot. That is what this is all about . So when I started this thread I was still stoked and it was a continuation of the conversation with my friends and fellow musicians from the night before. Don't think that I didn't have a good time. Even a rough night playing and singing is better than not being there and not doing it. So it was fine.
    Thanks for writing the above. It really does a good job of encapsulating why like minded people get together and the importance of “community”. Be it cyclists, fisherman, bridge players, hunters, quilters or people playing music it’s usually more fun with others. The act of sharing and rejoicing in each other’s experiences makes it all the more powerful, kinda what Christmas and the songs associated with it are meant to be.

    I can get sick of listing to Christmas songs for the next 6 weeks straight on the radio. But I really enjoy getting together with my uke group and singing and playing them. It puts me in a good mood.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 11-14-2019 at 01:31 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •