Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amp suggestions other than Fishman Loudbox Mini

Vista (North County San Diego), California

The Roland AC-33 stomps all competition in your stated price range. The fact that it can also be powered by rechargeable NiMH AA batteries makes it a clear winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Not sure if it fits your usage, but I have a Roland Micro Cube.
    I saw one of these the other day at a pawn shop. The size and design looked very appealing for an amatuer(me) who won't be playing for an audience. And I believe it would run on batteries.
    Think I might go back and get it, if it is still there.
    The crew...Giannini Baritone Uke, Washburn Rover "4-string tenor guitar", Yamaha G-85A classical guitar.

In the works....LP style long scale wide neck solid body electric tenor guitar.

Wall hanger...The Loar Honey Creek type-A Mandolin.

Yep, battery/mains, & built in effects.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

What did you end up getting? I have a NUX Mighty Lite Blue Tooth amp. Battery or AC adapter. 2 channels. A bunch of effects. It can be controlled via smartphone. It's tiny for sure. But, the sound is quite acceptable.
    Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. Low-G. I named it "LumiŤre"
    Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol. High-G I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele wound Low-G
    Cynthia Lin Performance uke. Concert scale with a cutaway Low-G
    Kala Soprano KA-KCT-S Ziricote fitted with Ernie Ball clear High-G
    Just ordered a tenor sized custom electric uke from Brian Fanner . . . wonder how long ETA. . .

I have yet to make a purchase. Iíve been trying to find local stores that carry some of your suggestions, but surprisingly have had some difficulty. No one seems to have any of the Rolands in stock.

The good news is that the venue I thought I needed one for actually has a direct plug in, so Iíve been using that for now. The hunt continues!
    Soprano: KoAloha Opio Acacia
    Tenors: KoAloha KTM-00, aNueNue UT200 Moon Bird, Pono MGTP5-PC
    Baritone+: Pono UL4-30

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Yep, battery/mains, & built in effects.
    I went back and got the Micro Cube. Didn't have an adapter cord, but sounded great on batteries. And I like the chrorus feature.
    Talked them down to $32, so should only have about fifty in it after I get a cord.
    The crew...Giannini Baritone Uke, Washburn Rover "4-string tenor guitar", Yamaha G-85A classical guitar.

In the works....LP style long scale wide neck solid body electric tenor guitar.

Wall hanger...The Loar Honey Creek type-A Mandolin.

I'm happy with my Traynor TVM15. Two channels, one takes just a quarter inch jack and the other accepts quarter inch or XLR. The charge lasts a really long time and it's light enough to carry around for busking. I use an SM58 in the XLR channel.
    Traynor Travel Mate.jpg

Surprised to see a Giannini Baritone mentioned. I have two of them from when they were made in Brazil. For my power source for everything from my electric bass ukuleles to smaller sizes, I really like my Roland Microcube. Since I have two of them I thought about putting output from one into the other one. I have yet to find out if going to "output" takes the speaker out of service on the first unit.

I bought a used Roland AC-60 for $250 7 or 8 years ago, and I love it. Brand new, they're out of your price range, if if you're lucky like me, your can find one second-hand for a reasonable price.

- FiL

I see the OP has made their purchase, but for other readers I'll throw in. I own both the Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge (has internal lead acid rechargeable battery) and the Roland AC-33.

I like them both. If I was doing it over again I might have just gone with the Roland because it is adequate for my needs. However, the Fishman is louder, especially going battery powered. The Fishman delivers it's full power using it's very heavy internal battery. However, the Roland's power is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced when going battery. That is according to manufacturer spec and it is a noticeable difference. So if you really need a battery powered amp, make sure you are considering the Roland based on it's reduced power without the AC adapter.

My first amp was the smaller Roland Cube Street. The smaller one with the slanted front, not the larger one. If I was doing it over, instead of buying the Fishman, i would have kept the Street, and picked up an AC-33. Then if I needed more battery-powered volume I could use the Street for reinforcement. I prefer carrying the AC-33 over the Charge. The AC-33 is a little smaller and is much lighter than the Charge (though the Loudbox Mini without the Charge feature puts it back in the weight range with the AC-33). But I usually take the Fishman Charge anyway because of it's superior clean power and volume.

You may have guessed by now that I am not a professional performer, and you would be correct. I lead local uke gatherings, a sort of uke club, in Austin TX. I use the amps mainly to play music that we play along with. They both sound great with amplified recorded music, not distorted nor bass-heavy, just what we called High-Fidelity when I was a young man, before everyone wanted the bass amplified to a ridiculous level. I have tested them with just ukes going through them, with some very nice ukes with pro-quality pickups and I thought they both sounded very good.

I have tried connecting the two for a lower volume from each amp but the same overall ambient sound. However, every way I have tried I get a slight hum or buzz. I have used high quality cables. I assume there is a way to do it without the buzz but I haven't found it yet. I don't know if it is easier to daisy-chain same brand-name amps, or if it is generally not done. I'll try to report back if I find a way that works.
    Know yourself. Play uke.
    Several 4S = For Sale
    Sop: mango Kamaka white label (vintage mangos, rare), Famous FS-7 (sounds great),
    20's-30's Regal (4S), 50's Harmony (4S)
    Conc: Myrtle Mya Moe (4S), Longneck Bruko (4S),
    KCM Koaloha, Fred Shields Backpacker (good for travel), Enya Nova U cutaway "carbon fiber" electric (18" scale length, & fun!)
    Ten: Romero Creations Tiny Tenor T-TK (4S), Opio KCO-02 (4S),
    Koaloha KTM-00, Pono ATSH-PC (current faves), Risa Solid, Pono MT-PC,
    Club loaners: Many

Thread Information