Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FluoroCarbons on Solid Cedar Top

Question FluoroCarbons on Solid Cedar Top

I have a solid top cedar Kala tenor that projects very well, but is brighter than I'd like (Aquila strings). Would fluoroCarbon strings warm it up? Will I lose a lot of its projection/loudness?

Some fluorocarbons are warmer than others. In general, they are more resonant but less loud than Aquila Nylgut.

If you go to the D'Addario website, they show their ukulele strings in a spectrum from brightest to warmest. It will give you a starting point to find what you want.

https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/ukulele/

I have Low-G Living Waters Fluorocarbons on my Pono Cedar top/ebony b&s tenor. That I like a lot.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I bought an Ohana TK-50G a couple of years ago (solid cedar top / solid rosewood b&s), and it was VERY bright when I received it with Aquilas on it - to the point of being brash. I first tried Worth Browns, and that helped. Then I tried Living Waters and I haven't looked back - so much better!

mikhou

Living Water low D fluorocarbons on my Kala cedar top bari = great tone.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Strings are (relatively speaking) Cheap, but are our physical connection to the instrument. Every combination of Uke, Player, and Music is going to feel and sound different to you.

Whether it’s right for You is something only you can answer.

For My playing, Aquila’s are a Good Enough string, BUT they have their own sound, which might not be your preference.

Again, for My playing, I like medium tension fluorocarbon strings, which for me give a very clear tone that shows off the distinctiveness of my instruments.

But it’s quite personal . . . Heck check out classical guitar strings, what with split sets, half sets, and “Two half sets, but g of a completely different material...” . . . .We Ukers have it fairly easy.

Strings are cheap. Try them all.
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Southcoast MU)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone "Rennaissance Guitar": Kala KA-SBG (C-Linear with Worth BL-LGs currently.)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Tenor "Low G': Kala KA-FMTG (Southcoast LML-NW
    Tenor: Kala SRT-CTG-E (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Baritone "Nui": Pono NS-10 (Worth B-B)

Another vote for Worth Browns. I had them on a cedar topped KoAloha super soprano and they sounded great.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Cocobolo concert - 2019

I have Pepe Romero UT2 flouro strings (made by LaBella) on my cedar top tenor, they sound great. Mine are low G, with the wound low G, but I swapped that out for a plain flouro low G, Living Water I believe, and am really enjoying the sound and feel. Plus, the non-wound low G lasts much longer.
    John

I have Worth Browns on my cedar topped Ohana. They sound great.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by cdkrugjr View Post
    Strings are (relatively speaking) Cheap, but are our physical connection to the instrument. Every combination of Uke, Player, and Music is going to feel and sound different to you.

Whether it’s right for You is something only you can answer.

For My playing, Aquila’s are a Good Enough string, BUT they have their own sound, which might not be your preference.

Again, for My playing, I like medium tension fluorocarbon strings, which for me give a very clear tone that shows off the distinctiveness of my instruments.

But it’s quite personal . . . Heck check out classical guitar strings, what with split sets, half sets, and “Two half sets, but g of a completely different material...” . . . .We Ukers have it fairly easy.

Strings are cheap. Try them all.
    I see a few people mixing and matching strings on their ukes too. Choan Galvez had a mix of at least two different types in some of his recent videos. I've been tempted to mix before when I liked a set except the C-string dominated too much, or occasionally the A string rang out louder than the other strings.

You can listen to other people's opinions all day, and they'll give you an idea of what you'll be getting, but ultimately you have to figure out what sounds good to you on your instrument.
    Last edited by glennerd; 11-10-2019 at 09:34 AM.
    Glenn

Thread Information