Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FluoroCarbons on Solid Cedar Top

Use of Seaguar Pink on my Kremona Coco (cedar/rosewood) mellowed it out nicely. Worth Browns and Aquila Nylgut were too bright.

UPDATE
    Figured I'd update this post with what I decided to change to, and my verdict. The majority of the posts seemed to lean towards Worth Browns, so that is what I went with.
    VERDICT = Fail
    I allowed them adequate time to stretch through tuning and playing, but just wasn't a fan at all. The low G sounded twangy (too low tension?), the C sounded OK, and the E and A sounded too bright and without any complexity.
    Overall, it was brighter and with less projection.I switched back to the Aquilas and while not perfect, it actually now sounds better than I remember it sounding! Probably because of how much I disliked the Worth Browns.
    A final closing note: I do have Worth Browns (high g) on Koa concerts and love them, but on this tenor scale with solid cedar top, they definitely do not compliment the instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul December View Post
    UPDATE
    Figured I'd update this post with what I decided to change to, and my verdict. The majority of the posts seemed to lean towards Worth Browns, so that is what I went with.
    VERDICT = Fail
    I allowed them adequate time to stretch through tuning and playing, but just wasn't a fan at all. The low G sounded twangy (too low tension?), the C sounded OK, and the E and A sounded too bright and without any complexity.
    Overall, it was brighter and with less projection.I switched back to the Aquilas and while not perfect, it actually now sounds better than I remember it sounding! Probably because of how much I disliked the Worth Browns.
    A final closing note: I do have Worth Browns (high g) on Koa concerts and love them, but on this tenor scale with solid cedar top, they definitely do not compliment the instrument.
    Thanks for the update. I can't remember what uke I tried Worth Browns on, but I wasn't liking them either. Depends on the instrument and your personal tastes too. I put fluorocarbons on my cedar top baritone, liked them at first, but got tired of the way they sounded (mostly the D & G strings) and felt. Went back to the wound D & G (not relevant to you) and left the fluorocarbon B & E. But I still haven't used the two nylon strings from the new set and I'm finally going to swap out the last two fluoro's. I'm thinking maybe the nylon will complement the cedar top and my finger picking style.

I like fluoros on my sopranos and almost shudder at the thought of putting nylon strings on them, so go figure.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    Thanks for the update. I can't remember what uke I tried Worth Browns on, but I wasn't liking them either. Depends on the instrument and your personal tastes too.
    Yep, I put Worth Browns on the trebles of my GL6 (Koa) are they were wonderfully sweet and resonant. Put them on my cedar top Kremona Coco and they were terrible: bright and choked sounding. Sound too bright on my Romero Creations spruce top tenor too...

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    Use of Seaguar Pink on my Kremona Coco (cedar/rosewood) mellowed it out nicely. Worth Browns and Aquila Nylgut were too bright.
    I'll second the Seaguar option. I use a combination of Seaguar STS Salmon and Premier on my Kremona Coco.

Previously, I had a set of the Savarez Alliance 140R on the same uke. While they gave a little warmer and mellow tone, it was on the edge of being muddy. With the Seaguar strings I get a smile on my face and an "ahhhhh-that's-better" feeling everytime I pick up my cedar top--great clarity without being harsh or too bright.
    Adam

C.F. Martin (C1K) All Solid Koa Concert - Martin M610 Premium Polygut Soprano/Concert
    Kremona Coco All Solid Cedar / Indian Rosewood - Custom Seaguar Mix (STS Salmon & Premier)
    Kala (KA-SPMT-TRI) All Solid Spruce / Pau Ferro / Mango Tenor - Worth Brown Tenor + Fremont Soloist Low G
    Outdoor Blue Nickel Soprano - Aurora Green Strings Soprano
    Kala (KA-SWG-BL) Glow-in-the-Dark Aqua Matte Waterman Soprano - Martin M600 Clear Fluorocarbon Soprano/Concert

I put a set of Aquila Sugars on my cedar top Ohana and I liked the sound better. I like my Cedar top, but I like the sound of my mahogany solid better. It is more suave, would be my best way to describe it. But the Cedar brighter, has more sound and more sustain, and just works better for me. Sometimes you need to compromise.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I agree. The Aquila Sugars seem to be a good compromise between Nylons and Fluorocarbons. They feel a lot like Nylons to me, but have a better sustain. I think they sound a little more complex as well.

I prefer thinner Fluoros, but the Sugars were pretty good and had a nice sound to them.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I tried Sugars and found them more complex than fluoro and very pleasing to my ear, but I didn't have the patience to wait for the squeaking to go away.
    Glenn

Thread Information