Old style Martin Rosette

Timbuck

Reaction score
On my latest batch of my soprano rip off's..I managed to get the rosette dimensions as close to the original 1950's Martins as possible and without any joins hardly showing but they are there :)
IMG_4667 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Your rosettes are bloody annoying Ken, because I can't see the joins either :D And I don't want to know how you do it, because I have no hope of matching your skill.

My only consolation is the knowledge that you must constantly be working on a design for some tube of rosette material which has no joins at all, so you can cut joinless slices off it. Hah!

Very nice. Do you just make a big tube of that and shave one off the end for the next uke?

If I ever get my hands on enough moolah, I sure want one of your copies!

Very nice. Do you just make a big tube of that and shave one off the end for the next uke?

I used to do it that way, but not any more...Using Pi = 3.142 I calculate the length of each individual strip and I have a setup gauge to cut them to length with a 45 degree mitre at the ends, and I stagger the 3 joins at 120 Deg apart...(Please note I don't always get it right first time):rolleyes: if you look close you can see the join of the inner ring at 12 Oclock.

Last edited:
Top Bottom