NUD: Brad Donaldson Long Neck Soprano

BillM

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have wanted to own a long neck, or super soprano for several years. The first time I tried one was at the Mya-Moe picnic in White Salmon, Washington. I loved the sound and "feel" of the uke, but decided to buy a Koa concert instead - a decision I have never regretted, but that long neck soprano stayed in the back of my mind.

Jump to a few months ago when the following thread appeared on UU:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?140851-New-Super-Soprano-Building-Thread

Needless to say, I contacted Brad and discovered he was in Cannon Beach at that time and could make a similar long neck soprano for me. We began to plan out the specs and he was able to complete the soprano a few days before he returned to Kauai. We met at a Barnes & Noble and when he opened the case I knew the build was exactly what I had wanted. Brad was great to work with on this project, and I encourage anyone interested to contact him. His builds are light and responsive, and his build quality is top notch. I can't provide a decent sound sample, but am pleased with the sustain and volume.

Specs are:
Vintage model, long neck soprano
12” radius on fretboard
Top, Engelmann spruce harvested in 1995
Back and sides, very hard and dense koa
Neck, old growth H. mahogany with carbon fiber rod
Fretboard, bridge and bindings are Indian rosewood
Alaska yellow cedar linings
PegHed tuners
Sitka spruce braces
Koa bridge patch

Photos are at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NWZXNxz4CUJpZ76i9
Sorry for the bedspread/old iPhone photo quality. I have included a few shots comparing the size of Donaldson soprano to my Mya-Moe concert.

Bill

Last edited:
Nice. I bet that uke from Cannon Beach lives up to its name. :cheers:

Nice uke! I get to meet Brad and some of his ukes this winter. Which would never have happened with this forum--and his generosity. I'm even more excited now, thanks Bill.

Nice. I bet that uke from Cannon Beach lives up to its name. :cheers:

You're right! It is a cannon at times.

Congratulations Bill, well done :D

Thanks. I've heard about Brad's builds for a few years, and am happy that I now own one.

Nice uke! I get to meet Brad and some of his ukes this winter. Which would never have happened with this forum--and his generosity. I'm even more excited now, thanks Bill.

Agreed. Brad is a great guy and quite the artist.

That's a real beauty!

Thanks Jerry. I agree.

Bill

Wow, very nice. I'd love to get my hands on a really good soprano, just for playing Baroque. Congrats!

Congrats on the beautiful uke. I would definitely like to see/ hear that Soprano.

Top Bottom