FS: Vintage 1940s Martin Style 1 Concert w/ Gotoh UPTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPG

Reaction score
Selling my vintage Martin concert. It was probably made in the 40s but based on the original tuners it may also have been made in 50s.

This uke is fitted with Gotoh UPT tuners and was just setup by Jake Wildwood at the end of September. The action is nice and low and the fretwork is impeccable. Only selling because I just bought a Rebel soprano and have a custom uke in the works I need to fund.

Jake did a blog post about it after he worked on it which can be found here along with a sound sample:

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2019/09/1940s-martin-1c-concert-ukulele.html?m=1

Regarding the tone he said "I often find Martin concerts somewhat bright and shiny and chipper on the tonal spectrum, but this one is somewhere between that usual palette and the soprano-sized Martins with their relaxed, sweet tone. It's one of the better-sounding Martin concert ukes I've played because of that."

Condition Notes:
- 3 repaired cracks in back. All well done and stable according to Jake
- 1 very small repaired crack in front below the bridge on lower bout. Also, well repaired and stable according to Jake. This crack is so thin/tight that I initially thought it was just a finish crack.
- Finish has scrapes and scuffs but I'd say is 95% in tact. There is a some crazing/rippling/spider webbing in the finish but it is in tact and sound (it's not cracking through or flaking off or anything). You really don't see the crazing under normal conditions but I have included two pictures taken with a flash under raking light in order to highlight it.
Again, as the other photos show you don't see the crazing under normal conditions.

Has a cool vintage tone with good volume and nice pop and bark to it. A wonderful old uke.

Pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZijFHdMWAMgcWZfK6

PRICE REDUCED: Listing Ended

Includes yellow tweady hard case pictured. Original tuners will also be included in the case storage area.

Last edited:
I would be allover this one if I didn't already have a WWII made Concert. Gotohs on it are a definite upgrade. Love the planetary tuners on vintage "Players"

Thanks guys! Yeah, I took a chance on Ebay with this one and really lucked out. Dave, if I have some dough left over after selling this maybe I'll finally grab one of your rescue ukes!

Sweet, vintage, and all fixed up!
Could you clarify what you mean by "rippling" in the finish?

Hey Tracie,

Rippling probably isn't the best word, I just used that word in case someone reading didn't know what crazing is. Take a look at the 3rd to last picture in the photo album and note the spider web pattern in the finish. This crazing/rippling/spider web (those are the best descriptives I can come up with) often occurs in old lacquer finishes as the laquer doesnt have the same capacity for expansion and contraction as the wood. I took that picture with a flash under raking light to highlight it, but as my and Jake's other pictures show you dont really see it under normal conditions.

Thanks for asking!

Last edited:
Now wait... You let a guy take the neck off your Martin concert ? I ain't getting it......................... Isn't it odd that Martin didn't extend the fretboard down on the concert to add frets? Like their guitars..
This suggests that Martin considered their uke line to be sort of novelties. An instrument that could be played by fellows who maybe had lost some fingers one way or another..... kidding, kidding................. All aside that is one fine sounding box. It sounds like my prewar S1 only bigger. I would keep this one even if i had to pawn my wife's jewelry.....

Martin concert

Now wait... You let a guy take the neck off your Martin concert ? I ain't getting it......................... Isn't it odd that Martin didn't extend the fretboard down on the concert to add frets? Like their guitars..
This suggests that Martin considered their uke line to be sort of novelties. An instrument that could be played by fellows who maybe had lost some fingers one way or another..... kidding, kidding................. All aside that is one fine sounding box. It sounds like my prewar S1 only bigger. I would keep this one even if i had to pawn my wife's jewelry.....

There doesn't seem to be much interest in this at present, and truthfully, I don't really want to sell it for this big of a loss if it doesn't sell quickly. I'm going to leave this up until the end of the day today at which point I will close this thread. This price is good until the thread is closed.

Thanks for the questions and comments folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom