DPO

Reaction score
Photographed this today.

Attachments

• LWF.jpg
    LWF.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 106
I googled this date, 11/11/2011, and I didn't see a lot worth remembering. The mathematician Georges Papy died. Am I missing something?

It's the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

Remember?

Remembrance Day in Europe ... when we celebrate those who lost their lives fighting in the First and Second World Wars and more recent conflicts. In the UK, the commemoration is held on the Sunday nearest to 11th November and here where we live - in France - the remembrance takes place today, which is a national holiday.

And here we in the USA we have Veterans Day. Thanks for reminding us.

It is the time & date we commemorate those fallen service people, of various conflicts worldwide, & give them 2 minutes of quiet reflection.

It's the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

Remember?

Yes this was the exact moment World War I ended. As others have said it is referred to as Remembrance Day. Here in Canada Veterans sell artificial poppy that we pin to our coats. It is wonderful to walk down the mall and see hundreds of people wearing poppy’s. “Lest We Forget”

Last edited:
"this was the exact moment World War II ended"

Correction - it was the end of the first World War - also called "The Great War", or the war to end all wars. That didn't work out too well, did it?

John Colter

"this was the exact moment World War II ended"

Correction - it was the end of the first World War - also called "The Great War", or the war to end all wars. That didn't work out too well, did it?

John Colter

Hahaha, dyslexia got me again. Thanks for making it right.

My father served in WWII and Korea and it is a good day to remember and honor him and the many who served in the Armed Forces.

Last edited:
On the more vapid side: it's also Singles Day in China. It's their sort of anti-Valentine's Day.
Thanks to all the Vets including my folks:
Gee, wish this site would upload my photo.

One's buried in Arlington near the Tomb of the Unknowns, and the other is buried in the Presidio. I miss them.

Last edited:
In the US it is Veteran's day, a day to reflect over all of the wars and conflicts the US has gotten itself into. I came from a long tradition of family who served in the military. My grandfather fought in WWI and brought back a nice fiddle from France, which I happen to have hanging on the wall. My father and his three brothers fought in WWII. Taken in 1970, every year I look at this picture and wonder who the heck that kid is and think that he looks pretty serious for a teenager.

Navy days..jpg Link brothers.jpg

Last edited:
Without trying to sound like a character from Forest Gump; There have been many, many soldiers, sailors and airmen in my family. Since before the colonies became states.

My Great, Great Grandfather began putting flags on veterans' graves On Decoration Day after he returned from the Civil War. Which changed to Memorial Day. These were started to honor our veterans who passed away.

Veterans' Day was originally to commemorate the end of the Great War. Is has come to recognize and show our appreciation to our serving members and former members of the military.

I was unable to serve, but I forever honor the men and women who have done and presently do so. Their sacrifices and service to their country will always be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom