Thread: Replacing machine tuners - dangerous?

Default Replacing machine tuners - dangerous?

Hi guys

I'm considering replacing the Grover tuners on my tenor with some Gotoh UK700s.

The plate holes look to be in pretty much identical positions to the Grovers.

Question
    Do I risk the new tuners not being so firmly affixed to the headstock, by virtue of screwing new screws into existing holes? Or, assuming the current screws are removed smoothly and carefully, do you think this will be no issue?

Thanks in advance for any wise words...

Ben

Hi Ben, I think you should be okay. And if the screw holes are pretty much a perfect match for the new tuners, I suppose you could even consider using the old screws, since that's what the holes are "accustomed to". But honestly, I've changed out tuning machines tons of times, and I think you'll be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Hi Ben, I think you should be okay. And if the screw holes are pretty much a perfect match for the new tuners, I suppose you could even consider using the old screws, since that's what the holes are "accustomed to". But honestly, I've changed out tuning machines tons of times, and I think you'll be fine!
    Thanks Bill (and to others on the other thread) - much obliged!

Ben

Hi Ben,
    I suspect it would depend on the thread of the new screws. If you don’t have good contact, you can refill the old holes with a sliver of wood and drill an appropriate hope for the new screws.

Thread Information