Risky to replace existing machine tuners?

bennyhana22

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm considering replacing the Grover tuners on my tenor with some Gotoh UK700s.

The plate holes look to be in pretty much identical positions to the Grovers.

Question
Do I risk the new tuners not being so firmly affixed to the headstock, by virtue of screwing new screws into existing holes? Or, assuming the current screws are removed smoothly and carefully, do you think this will be no issue?

Thanks in advance for any wise words...

Ben

If the screws are too sloppy you can glue round wood toothpicks or some such into the holes and re-drill. This should be a pretty easy process if done with care.

IME, the important thing is to make sure the post is oriented in the middle of the hole, so there is no binding on the edges of the hole. If that means filling/redrilling the original holes, that should be done. Many times, the new tuners will cover the old holes anyway, so a fill/redrill may not be visible.

My dad all ways back filled with match sticks rather than toothpicks because the match stick soft wood would crush, while hard to compress wood like bamboo could cause splitting. However because tuner screws are so small and Ukulele necks are usually made from reasonably easy to compress woods even bamboo toothpicks should be fine. Don't try to use bamboo toothpicks on a Eucalypt door frame close to the corner of the frame with a reasonably decent sized screw. It may end in tears.

Thanks so much, sequoia.

That has to be just about the most easily understood, best produced and best presented instructional YouTube video I've ever seen!

Just superb!

Ben

Top Bottom