Blackbird Farallon - Thomastik Infeld Low G and C String

mnb128

Reaction score
Hi all. I know there've been multiple threads about Farallon string combos and suggestions, as well as threads about the Thomastik flat wound strings, but I just wanted to make a quick note on my experience.

Blackbird is shipping out their Farallons with a combo of Oasis Warms and a Freemont Soloist for the Low G. I'm a fan of the Soloist and have been an advocate of it on these forums before, but I found myself getting some minor buzzing, especially with hard strumming, that was getting on my nerves. The soloist was also a little boomier on Farallon than I've experienced with other ukes.

Having seen plenty of recommendations for the Thomastik strings, I figured I'd give them a try. Rather than just going with the low G, I decided to switch out the C string as well, which I know is common.

In short, I love them. All buzzing is completely gone, and the TI flat wounds blend wonderfully with the Oasis Warms. The tension, tone, and even the feel work extremely well together.

Everyone has their own unique sound they're looking for from their instruments, but if you're still looking for that perfect Low G string combo for your Farallon, or any uke for that matter, these are definitely worth a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Unfortunately, I don't have any sound samples for comparison, but my recording equipment is crap anyway.

The TI strings that I'm referring to are the CF30 for the Low G and the CF27 for the C. I know they're typically available at both Strings by Mail and The Ukulele Site.

Hope this helps someone that's still looking for that perfect combo.

Brilliant! Yes, helpful!

I like Thomastik strings, also was wondering if anyone out there had wound Low G & C & have mild buzzing on C's on some nonBB tenor ukes. This post nudges me to add a wound C to my next string order. Thanks!

... Having seen plenty of recommendations for the Thomastik strings, I figured I'd give them a try. Rather than just going with the low G, I decided to switch out the C string as well, which I know is common.

In short, I love them. All buzzing is completely gone, and the TI flat wounds blend wonderfully with the Oasis Warms. The tension, tone, and even the feel work extremely well together.

Everyone has their own unique sound they're looking for from their instruments, but if you're still looking for that perfect Low G string combo for your Farallon, or any uke for that matter, these are definitely worth a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Unfortunately, I don't have any sound samples for comparison, but my recording equipment is crap anyway.

The TI strings that I'm referring to are the CF30 for the Low G and the CF27 for the C. I know they're typically available at both Strings by Mail and The Ukulele Site.

Hope this helps someone that's still looking for that perfect combo.

Just saw this thread. I recently got a Farallon and notice minor buzzing mostly on the A string. The Oasis A string broke shortly after I got the ukulele and having no Oasis on hand, I put a Worth Clear fluorocarbon it. That's when I noticed the faint buzz. Now I am wondering if the wound Soloist that came on the G string is somehow creating the buzz. Should I change out the G string, put an Oasis A string back on or strive for no wound strings at all to solve this dilemma? Any suggestions appreciated.

I just switched out the A string from the clear Worth to a Brown Worth (which is a warmer tone than the clears for sure). It seems to match the Oasis C and E string better and any buzzes near the fret seems to have definitely improved. Then I switched out the C and E string to have all 3 be Worth Browns - warm and mellow. I like the sound with the Fremont Soloist that came with it and the buzz seems to have disappeared for the time being. Hope this helps someone else.

Last edited:
I just switched out the A string from the clear Worth to a Brown Worth (which is a warmer tone than the clears for sure). It seems to match the Oasis C and E string better and any buzzes near the fret seems to have definitely improved. Then I switched out the C and E string to have all 3 be Worth Browns - warm and mellow. I like the sound with the Fremont Soloist that came with it and the buzz seems to have disappeared for the time being. Hope this helps someone else.

Interesting. Glad to hear it cured your buzz.

Top Bottom