Fiddle Pick-up Question: Open to Source Pick-up for Magic Fluke Cricket Fiddle?

Wukulele

Reaction score
I am seriously considering getting a Magic Fluke Cricket Fiddle.

I don't usually (or ever, really) do any recording, but if I did I would think that one installed by MF would have advantages? I sort of would rather than add it but not need it that need it but didn't add it on the initial purchase.

I know nothing about pick-ups. Concert violinists don't exactly use much on-fiddle amplification. Not that I'm one - just drawing from what I've seen. Sara Watkins of Nickel Creek uses an LR Baggs Bridge pickup on her fiddle. Alison Krauss' tech has her using Shure KSM9 w/ a very specific sounding set-up. Not that I'm remotely like any of the above, just trying to decide if I end up making the purchase, should I add the pick-up option.

MF's description of the option they offer:
"Open to Source p/u for banjo is a USA-made passive piezo film sensor that mounts on the inside of the banjo head directly under the bridge. These custom made pickups work especially well on the Firefly banjos with plenty of gain and warm, accurate acoustic sound reproduction.
opentosourcesensors.com"

If there is a better site I should post this question to, please feel free to suggest.

Well, I feel really silly for posting this... And learned that the the start of a thread cannot be deleted by the starter?

I don't see why you feel silly posting this. As far as I can see, it fits in the Audio/Video section. Wish I had some suggestions for fiddle pickups. I have been happy with Fishman under-saddle pickups for guitar and mandolin but can't speak to fiddle pickups.

I have a friend who uses one of those "band" type pickups that goes around the fiddle. It sounds very good and it's completely removable. However, you have to be careful because any kind of bump or knock to the fiddle gets picked up very loudly. "Clank!!!"

Top Bottom