Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary Moment

Default Scary Moment

I’ve been in Hawaii visiting family for the last 5 weeks. Bryan Tolentino and a guitarist/ukulele player named Halehaku Seabury play in a restaurant close to my brother in law’s house. I had done a workshop with Bryan at the Magic Fluke Factory in May.
    We went out to hear them and have dinner a few weeks ago. I got to talk with Bryan and he told me to bring my ukulele down next time they play. They invite people to come up and play on their break. We went back last Tuesday and I brought my Kamaka Tenor. They had a young man sitting in with them for the night. When they finished their set he played two pieces. Bryan told me I was next and that Benny Chong and Byron Yasui would be playing after me!!!!!
    I’ve never been so scared in my life. I play pretty well but with them sitting there I was really intimidated. I planned on playing two pieces but decided to not press my luck. I played a fingerstyle version of Here Comes The Sun and did a good job. I figured I would quit while I was ahead.
    Benny and Byron tore it up for 15 minutes. I thanked Bryan for the chance to play and also for putting me on before them.
    Last edited by peanuts56; 11-12-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Congratulations!
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Way to go. Yes that would be a little intimidating. But you got through it.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you donít begin to know until you begin to try to do.

óLou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

That's cool.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

That is awesome, Peanuts! Congratulations on taking a deep breath and "going for it"! I'm betting your rendition of "Here Comes The Sun" was well-delivered and well-received!

Nice! Sounds like a big one for the win column!

What a great experience. Congratulations!
    And great song choice. I love that one.

You are living the dream.

Thanks. I donít play in public a whole lot and am a convert from trumpet. I have had some stage fright issues playing in public. Told my wife after surviving playing in front of Benny and Byron I donít think that will be too much of an issue from now on.
    I take part in a jazz themed Christmas Concert every year. I play djembe primarily for this. Iím working on a Christmas medley for this year. Iím just going to get up,play and have fun.

Peanuts, I once read an article in which the author made a very simple assertion, but one that has proven true, time and time again, in my own experience: "The cure for stage fright is practice." My own "take" on that concept is that I want to practice the pieces I'll be performing so thoroughly, so methodically, that I can do them as easily, and as reliably, as I could simply walk out onto the stage and strum a "C" chord. In other words, I know I wouldn't have the least bit of apprehension executing that "C" chord, so if I get my songs down to the point where doing them is just that easy, my stage fright is gone and I'm free to just enjoy performing. I also like to pause, a few days in advance of the event, and ask myself, realistically, how is this outing probably going to go? And the answer is-- it will probably go just fine; it won't be absolute perfection; I will probably have a flub here and there; but for the most part I will pull things off handily because I will have practiced my rear end off; and in total it will be just fine! That allows me to avoid the tendency to start dreaming up all kinds of disastrous scenarios that will probably never happen!
    Last edited by Bill Sheehan; 11-12-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Thread Information